Embedded logo in IO.SYS - how to extract/convert?

Marztabator

The easiest way to make the change is to copy the compressed Logo from the Windows 98 IO.SYS to the Windows 95 IO.SYS.

Some realignment will be required as the 98 Compressed Logo is larger than the space allocated to the 95 Logo.

I'm not sure why you would want to use the Windows 98 Logo in your Windows 95 System. It says "Windiows 98".

Yeah, I wouldn't know how to "realign" a system file I'm afraid. That and I feel it's only fair that a publicly known way to "rescue" the logo from the "prison" that is IO.SYS is revealed. :)

And why not use the Windows 98 logo in Windows 95? I like the idea of mixing things up, and like I said, I always considered it prettier looking than the 95 one. :)

The easiest way to make the change is to copy the compressed Logo from the Windows 98 IO.SYS to the Windows 95 IO.SYS.

Some realignment will be required as the 98 Compressed Logo is larger than the space allocated to the 95 Logo.

I'm not sure why you would want to use the Windows 98 Logo in your Windows 95 System. It says "Windiows 98".

Yeah, I wouldn't know how to "realign" a system file I'm afraid. That and I feel it's only fair that a publicly known way to "rescue" the logo from the "prison" that is IO.SYS is revealed. :)

I see nothing especially fair about that. I consider it one of my Trade Secrets.

I see nothing especially fair about that. I consider it one of my Trade Secrets.

I might just see if it's possible to rip the logo out from a memory dump with DOSBox Daum's debugger at this rate...

Try this.

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/45103-reduced-iosys/

There are people on the forum that know how to remove the logos. I don't know why it has to be such a secret. For a Dead Operating System that no one will profit off of.

Those people specialize in removing the logos from the file though. They probably don't know what section to rip out and how to unpack it.

Hmmm...

See, this is precisely the problem I found with similar questions being responded to online. People seem to think that creating a LOGO.SYS file and placing it in C:\ is the only answer. If you want a custom loading screen yes, but the fact remains I want to use the *original* boot logo - which is currently trapped inside IO.SYS - outside of its original OS.

So, would you be satisfied to have the LOGO.SYS "pulled" from Win98 and placed into the "C:\" of Running Win95? You -seem- to be inistent on -modding- the Win95 IO.SYS - why? :crazy: Especially in light of the fact that ANY file conforming to the "standards" given at the link are adhered to. :blink: Seems like a pointless exercise. :unsure:

I don't understand your requerst anymore. If you want a smaller IO.SYS it can be done. If you want 98 LOGO in the 95 OSR 2.1 IO.SYS it can be done also which one do you want. If you want a smaller IO.SYS but then add logo.sys to msdos.sys that can be done too.

Edited by oldskool

I don't want to change IO.SYS itself. I want the logo that's inside it. I want to get that out into a new file and make *that* my LOGO.SYS for use in other 9x systems.

Why is this so difficult for people to understand? Am I really that bad at words?

Isn't it *identical* to the default LOGO.SYS from the CD? dubbio.gif

Later edit: Nevermind! There's no LOGO.SYS in the CD, just LOGOW.SYS and LOGOS.SYS...

The embeded LOGO.SYS is just in IO.SYS (not also as a standalone file), and that is the one used, every time the default LOGO is shown.

Posting this so it WILL be noticed!

@dencorso - the LOGO.SYS does not exist in the CD - only LOGOS, LOGW, and SULOGO ("First Tim") exist.

http://www.themeworld.com/support/walls-change.html

At the bottom of the link, is a set of VC++ programs. I downloaded the Win98 one and ran in on my VPC Win98SE installation. It appears that they could CARE LESS which OS you're running. All three of the files (LOGOS, LOGOW, LOGO) WILL get installed into the correct place.

Happy now? ;)

I don't want to change IO.SYS itself. I want the logo that's inside it. I want to get that out into a new file and make *that* my LOGO.SYS for use in other 9x systems.

Why is this so difficult for people to understand? Am I really that bad at words?

My very 1st post I gave you linked a utility you could grab the logo from io.sys and save it.

Edited by oldskool

Posting this so it WILL be noticed!

http://www.themeworld.com/support/walls-change.html

At the bottom of the link, is a set of VC++ programs. I downloaded the Win98 one and ran in on my VPC Win98SE installation. It appears that they could CARE LESS which OS you're running. All three of the files (LOGOS, LOGOW, LOGO) WILL get installed into the correct place.

Happy now? ;)

Well, I do think you've hit jackpot, submix8c! :yes:

@Marztabator: can we now mark this thread as "solved"?

@oldskool -

Sorry to disappoint you (ref post#5 that you indicated), but that's good for WinME (IO.SYS is compressed, as has been already said) and Win98 is different (IO.SYS is not but the BMP inside it is). The OP specifically is asking for 7.1 and not 8.0 (ref post#7). In addition, the links you give are for

1 - Non-embedded BMP/SYS files (no extraction functionality)

2 - 8.0 (wrong version and references what has been said here)

HTH (and no offense intended)