XP EOL Post SP3 Updates Downloader (UDC) released @ xdot.tk

I've just released April's Updates Downloader, Checker and Add-on Creator or UDC for short.

It's a script that downloads all high priority updates with a simple double click. You'll need nLite since
some of the update have to be turned into add-ons.

Great time to make an up-to-date setup CD. It's available at xdot.tk.

I don't think this is the end of updates. Some updates are cross platform OS and can be applied in one way or another to XP.

edit: XP is not a platform. lol. It's an OS :/

Edited by -X-

They have them over at RyanVm.net. http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8728

A long, long time ago I tried one from Onepiece via nonno fabio, no further updates could be applied so I had to use the .NET Cleanup Tool and install all over again and then manually apply all the patches.

The one I just linked to is from user_hidden so it's probably OK.

Please note that if you install .NET there are additional high priority updates. I recalled one that has to do with the file NTPRINT.CAT. You'll have to investigate other's yourself since I don't do .NET.

I hate them with a passion. **** things take up almost as much space as the OS. I do .NET 2.0 but that's where I draw the line.

I hate them with a passion. **** things take up almost as much space as the OS. I do .NET 2.0 but that's where I draw the line.

I don't like them either. .NET Installers eat up my disk space unnecessarily. And when I tried to refresh the update lists, I often complain something like, "d*mn Micro$oft, why don't you merge KB2894843 and KB2901111 updates together?"

And because they release the updates in MSP packages (and digitally signed), it's almost impossible for me to merge two update packages together, or merge the updates with the installer.

(This never happens in Linux software packaging, AFAIK. In Debian/Ubuntu, updating software means just installing a newer .deb package over an old one, and package maintainers often update the whole set of deb packages for that software.)

Hmmm...

And because they release the updates in MSP packages (and digitally signed), it's almost impossible for me to merge two update packages together, or merge the updates with the installer.

Have you tried "InstEd it!"? It's doable (usually an MSP file is simply replacement modules anyway) if you take the time and learn how-to.

O/T - this is Topic is starting to go O/T...

• 2 weeks later...

???

Off-topic now.

Have you tried "InstEd it!"? It's doable (usually an MSP file is simply replacement modules anyway) if you take the time and learn how-to.

I prefer open-source solutions. And for IE8 I already made up my own solution. For .NET, I can't.

Your "open source" includes JAVA (not open source), so what's the difference if the software is FREE? You could (with more difficulty) use the ORCA and related Tools for the MSI/MSP "merge".

Indeed, your IE8 "solution" doesn't appear to be an "integrated" as it seems to be Post-Install, rather than Direct. :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

Forgot to announce the May 1st update (UDC-05-01-14) and patch tuesday has come early today... Flash has just been updated to v13.0.0.214. Re-running the UDC in your current updates folder will download the latest flash. 

Edited by -X-

Your "open source" includes JAVA (not open source), so what's the difference if the software is FREE? You could (with more difficulty) use the ORCA and related Tools for the MSI/MSP "merge".

Indeed, your IE8 "solution" doesn't appear to be an "integrated" as it seems to be Post-Install, rather than Direct. :unsure:

Yes my solution makes a post-installer rather than integrate them directly to WinXP CD. For me there is some reason to keep the old IE6, and the post-installer can be used to upgrade the existing Windows XP installation (with IE6 or IE7) to IE8.

I use java because it's convenient to write. I wish it could be ported to C but no idea how to start.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

New UDC released. Contains July 2014's update to the revoked root certificates (rvkroots.exe). Grab it at xdot.tk

Hey -X-,  from this thing you posted on your site -   "The cats out of the bag. Softpedia published article about it so here goes. Get XP updates til 2019 w/ this reg file."

Do I have to do something with this or do you already include it in your UDC ?

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady]

"Installed"=dword:00000001

http://goo.gl/yYsRfE