Windows 2003 performance and security?

Seriously most XP drivers (32 bit) will work fine on Server 2003 (32 bit).

I experienced a problem with one scanner driver (don't remember the model now) which completely refused to work in Windows 2003 Server. I tried to install both the 2000 and XP version but the driver just wouldn't initialise at all. As a result, the scanner wasn't detected properly and didn't work.

My advice is to always check for sure whether all devices work in Windows 2003 before making a switch from XP.

Sure :), that's why i said "most drivers" and not "all drivers" or "every single driver" ;).

To be fair, it is not like "probable" that a Server will have a scanner connected and - from my general experience with scanners - I would say that usually their drivers (or the Windows imaging subsystem and/or Twain and or "whatever" in it) are often a PITA, even on "desktop" OS's.

JFYI ;):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Princess_and_the_Pea

jaclaz

JFYI - HP Scanjet 4300c (flatbed Scan/Copy/Print) - a "special" procedure to get it to work (two install files). Have been happily using it since the day I got it - from a thrift store for $5USD and a "spare" power supply (wall wart). Had a heck of a time figuring it out (note the second EXE had to be done in Safe Mode for some odd reason). Scanning Software says "PrecisionScan LTX". Also does OCR (text).

Sometimes drivers work, sometimes they don't.

Well, it's been a busy last couple of days-I had ordered a new dell reinstallation disk from ebay with win 2003 on it, thought I had a great deal-but it didn't come with an activation key! However I got the chance to observe 2003 on another computer and noticed a few things.

1. It's FAST!-I LOVE the speed!

2. Many security programs like spybot, malware bytes 1.75, and clamwin will work-but some firewalls like Outpost pro wont.

3. The lastest version of Foxit PDF acts funny (also on XP sp3) but Sumatra PDF is good.