2003 Server ENT vs STD

Ok I've legitamately obtain legal pieces of these software and used Standard for 7 months without one single crash, had uptimes of repeatedly 10 days or more with no system bog down doing seriously draining multitasking. Well I decided to give Enterprise a try and installed it...I wasn't happy with it when I tried to disable a few things to make it a workstation such as the Event Tracker and Error/Bug Reporting to MS. I know I installed it correctly and I'm not a computer novice by any means so I guess it's somehow hardcoded into Enterprise (which kind of makes no sense). I also would get a few BSODs everynow and then, reformat+reinstalled it a few times with 2 different legal versions of ENT and still recieved poorer performance than 2003 Standard.

Anyone else have any input on why 2003 STD > ENT? I'm rather dissatisfied with Enterprise--granted as a workstation mind you--yea it's an oxymoron...a "server" as a "workstation".

ALSO: If anyone knows where in the registry the "Event Tracker" and other such polices are stored please tell me as I cannot find them for the life of me...I WAS planning on coding a little VB utility to change ENT/STD/WEB to a workstation and I couldn't find the information I needed. Thanks in advance.

In the 6 months of using Enterprise Edition I've never gotten a blue screen, perhaps its a driver/hardware problem?

Also, the Enterprise and Standard editions arn't too different, as you can get a single CD that has all the versions of Server 2K3 on it.

In the 6 months of using Enterprise Edition I've never gotten a blue screen, perhaps its a driver/hardware problem?

Also, the Enterprise and Standard editions arn't too different, as you can get a single CD that has all the versions of Server 2K3 on it.

I have the MSDN DVD with all the versions on it. Other than the policy disabling (or lack thereof) they are about the same.

I'm running STD now and haven't got a single BSOD...I'm guessing maybe the nVidia drivers were corrupted based on the BSOD message. Oh well, I'll just stick with standard and be in heaven. :)

I have tested the ent edition and turned it into a full workstation with no problems at all. Works like a charm and it is very stable.

Then how did you disable the policies. And no the "guide" here doesn't work with Enterprise.

Here's what you'll get:

gpedit.png

As you can see it's not here. :) I seriously doubt Microsoft would do this to only the MSDN Enterprise Server... :/

As far as I know, there arent any "official" drivers for nVidia based cards running under Windows 2003 Server. The only drivers that are listed on their site are for the 64-bit versions of 2003. I have tried loading the current reference drivers for 2k/XP and ran into some problems. And also, I'm not running it as a workstation, but as a bonafide file server. Hope this helps.

and just a quick offtopic question, what part of germany are you in blitzkrieg. im hoping to try and visit germany later this year, and have been trying to narrow down just what part to visit. drop me a line with any suggestions if you would. thanks.

As far as I know, there arent any "official" drivers for nVidia based cards running under Windows 2003 Server. The only drivers that are listed on their site are for the 64-bit versions of 2003. I have tried loading the current reference drivers for 2k/XP and ran into some problems. And also, I'm not running it as a workstation, but as a bonafide file server. Hope this helps.

and just a quick offtopic question, what part of germany are you in blitzkrieg. im hoping to try and visit germany later this year, and have been trying to narrow down just what part to visit. drop me a line with any suggestions if you would. thanks.

I've been using the 2000/XP display drivers and they seem to work very well in Standard...I guess there's just something erie about Enterprise.

I'm not actually in Germany (yet). Since I'm of German decent I choose the flag to have patriotism for my "motherland". :)