Windows 7 - April 2014 updates and sysprep adds undeclared value to un

Hi,

in my company we use windows 7 and sysprep since 2012 and integrate the latest windows updates on a monthly basis without problems, so far.

But after i integrated the latest updates and IE11 yesterday, we have trouble with using of this "image", because Win 7 installation aborts with an error message.

The error message is "Windows could not parse or process unattend answer file [C:\windows\Panther\unattend.xml] for pass [specialize]. A component or setting specified in the answer file does not exist."

The answer file was generated with the command: sysprep.exe /generalize /oobe /quit /unattend:“c:\windows\system32\sysprep\unattend.xml“

I check the answer file with Windows SIM and Windows SIM returns an error message that the attribute "wasPassProcessed="true"" was not declared.

I took a look at the old unattend.xml and there was no such entry. - Only the new generated unattend.xml suddenly has this new setting.

When i check the old unattend.xml everything is OK. - So i tried to delete the string "wasPassProcessed" from the answer file, but windows 7 installation still aborts with same error message.

The question is: Why does windows 7 sysprep generates itself an unattend.xml file which is invalid ? This happens since IE11 was integrated.

I attached both files (anonymized) to this post.

The old file is called "unattend_sysprep.xml", the new file (with error) which sysprep generated and which was put in Panther directory is called "unattend_anonym.xml".

EDIT:

Ahh, i think the problem i have is described here: http://www.deploymentresearch.com/Research/tabid/62/EntryId/124/Adding-Internet-Explorer-11-to-your-Windows-7-SP1-reference-image.aspx

The problem seems to be IE11 related, and the solution is to delete the entry/line "ShowMenuBar"="true" from the unattended.xml in the IE config section !?

EDIT2:

OK, problem is still not fixed.

It is not Internet Explorer 11 related, because with IE10 and latest april updates the windows setup also aborts...

The new entry "wasPassProcessed" is also there with IE10 and latest updates (and is still not declared, of course).

So why there is suddenly this new entry after "generalize"-process, and how to fix that issue ?

unattend_sysprep.xml

unattend_anonym.xml

Edited by 4eversr

The wasProcessed attribute is added by Sysprep. This XML is not intended to be validated in WSIM.

It looks like the way to get WSIM to show you what settings are invalid for IE11 would be to capture an image without an answer file... or maybe a dummy one with just language settings in it. Then you load that WIM into WSIM. Take your existing answer file and load that into WSIM and then validate it. It should then inform you what settings you have wrong.

See the note here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn338139.aspx

Problem is: We use "Novell Zenworks Imaging" which works with ZMG files instead of WIM files, so i have no WIM-files for testing purposes. (And until today i never used WAIK, because it wasn`t necessary).

We have one "master" Windows 7 (which is a virtual vmware machine) where we take a snapshot before we start the sysprep process inside the machine (to return to the not syspreped state) and then the whole machine will be merged to Zenworks Imaging. - At this point Zenworks Imaging does everything else what is necessary. - So we never have to use WAIK or other Microsoft tools.

But now this new "wasPassProcessed" problem occurs in the unattend.xml which is generated by sysprep and i don`t know how to solve it with my possibilities.

With keyboard shortcut Shift and F10 i was able to open a console window and look at the setup error log in C:\Windows\Panther directory.

I attached the log file as a screenshot.

Perhaps someone know how to fix this issue ?

post-391262-0-91923500-1397055809_thumb.