Need Microsoft Security Essentials? Grab it now.

I posted this reply in the other thread ... decided to post it here also.

----

Thanks submix8c for "cross referencing" the two threads ... I was hoping the two would be linked somehow.

I will post here and then follow the other thread under XP also.

Referring to the one article link you posted ... this is near the end of the article.

http://www.eweek.com/security/bug-in-microsoft-security-essentials-downs-windows-xp-machines.html

"On April 15, 2014, Microsoft released an Antimalware Engine update that may have caused interrupted service for customers using affected Microsoft security products," the company stated in an April 21 email to eWEEK. "Microsoft corrected the issue via signature update, which automatically resolved the issue, and customers do not need to take any action." While business customers have long been urged to end their reliance on Windows XP, many cost-conscious firms are trying to avoid upgrading. "One can say the customers got what they paid for, as MS Essentials has no charge and is bundled with the operating systems," the New England technology provider said."

That last part ... "One can say the customers got what they paid for, as MS Essentials has no charge and is bundled with the operating systems," the New England technology provider said."

How cold ... no one expects or deserves to have their computer "messed up" by an update from a "reputable company", be it MS or any other "top line company" ... and what does it really matter if the program is "free" ... free or not free, an update should do what it is expected to do ... update and not destroy someone's computer. People have a right to expect the best from a "top dog" company, maybe not so much from a newer upstart company with no track record ... but to say ... "customers got what they paid for" ... I don't agree with that statement at all.

That update breaker also affected Forefront clients updating through WSUS. That article is funny, like this part:

While Microsoft corrected the issue within days, the bug crashed at least hundreds of machines. For the New England firm, the issue affected more than 250 machines at 50 customers who relied on the systems, a consultant at the company said on condition of anonymity.

Compared to this:

b. Small Business. If you operate a small business, then you may install and use the software on up to ten (10) devices in your business.

Which is from MSSE's EULA. It only allows for that or home use, as MS wants you to use ForeFront for business use. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I was able to get the latest version of Microsoft Security Essentials working. I even got the definitions updated. I also tried Microsoft Security Essentials Prerelease 4.7.0202.0 but failed. We will have to stick with 4.6.305.0. I will post detail instructions later to make sure I have all my ducks in a row :thumbup

• 2 months later...

Ok, here we go!

1. Download Microsoft Security Essentials 4.6.305.0

2. Download Microsoft Security Essentials 4.4.304.0

3. Download Universal Extractor or whatever tool you like that extracts

4. Extract both packages

5. Take SETUP.EXE 4.4.304.0 and replace it, in the directory of 4.6.305.0 MSEINSTALL\x86

overriding the newer SETUP.EXE 4.6.305.0

6. Delete 4.4.304.0 folder

7. Run SETUP.EXE 4.4.304.0 and install Microsoft Security Essentials 4.6.305.0

Thats it, thats all!

Via WebArchive, right?

Guess you have to get the x64 by getting the "latest" version and noting the Link to use.

I've gotten both of them (from elsewhere and are correct/valid) and the "latest" one (4.7.205.0).

FileHippo now completely skips the version you referenced. :crazy: