Need Microsoft Security Essentials? Grab it now.

It still is being offered to my XP Computer on windows Update as of today. It sucks anyways I didn't install it.

Didn't think of that! It's Microsoft Update, not Windows Update btw. I never use MS update. Don't need or want any of their offerings.

I ran MU under Sandboxie and got the ?crup? URL. I always remember crup but not sure. This one has ftpk instead.

http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/software/ftpk/2013/11/mseinstall_6ea36a8b108517a4dc692afc30aad122af543239.exe 

1 - @Flasche - kind of "implies" that the newer version (with a "mod") may be installable to "standard XP".

2 - @-X- - Kind of "implies" that it's still available but ONLY through MS Update.

(wow!)

OK, you're gonna LOVE this, all of the XP x64 Users!

Filehippo -also- has the XP-supported x64 under the name... VISTA! I have double-checked this and it's -sxactly- the same as the Original, so you now have TWO choices of "where to get XP MSE x86/x64". Either FileHippo -or- Web Archive will work!

Get the XP/Vist/Win7 x64 (yes, all three, but we -only- care about XP) from here -

http://www.filehippo.com/download_security_essentials_vista_64/51104/

;)

HTH and Happy MSE'ing!

========

@-X- Maybe you could update post#1 to reflect this (even though you only work w/x86)? Also, have you "tested" the "theory" that the Definitions work with the "older" version (post#2)? This would allow for "multiple" PC's to be "updated" by a single download, if anyone is actually using MSE...

-edit- Dang! Post#35 has the exact same FileHippo/WebArchive x86 but the "modified" date is newer. MS, you crazy people! :crazy::blink:

Edited by submix8c

Updated first post!

O/T: Btw, I still haven't slept. :crazy: 28 or so hour ago is when I last woke up.

Been cleaning the hell out of my apartment, catching up on all the lasted Formula 1 news, seeing what family is up to on Facebook. All kinds of things that these the series of tubes has that suck the life out of you.

Go to 2:09 for the clincher. I know it's old but it still give me a chuckle.

Edited by -X-

Strange that it's not available (AFAICT) for Windows8

Windows 8 has MSE/Windows Defender implemented too. If you don't have other AV installed the Action Center warns you that Windows Defender is deactivated and urges you to activate it.

Windows 8 has MSE/Windows Defender implemented too. If you don't have other AV installed the Action Center warns you that Windows Defender is deactivated and urges you to activate it.

I can confirm his statement. (Just called defender)

Edited by Flasche

I think you misunderstood. THERE IS NO MSE AVAILABLE fo Win8.x! In Vista/Win7/Win8 it -IS- Defender (as I said) -and- ATM MSE ("Super" Defender) is -only (currently) available for Vista/Win7 (and apparently POS 2009) -unless- you get the FileHippo (or archives -or- "offering" from MS Update -not- Windows Update?).

Sorry for any confusion that may have appeared in my previous comments.

HTH and "Happy MSE'ing".

Been hearing rumours on other forums I frequent that the latest updates to MSE is causing people's computers to become inaccessible?

Not sure if there is any truth to these claims, but I would be *interested* to see whether Microsoft would stoop to such a level.

Been hearing rumours on other forums I frequent that the latest updates to MSE is causing people's computers to become inaccessible?

Not sure if there is any truth to these claims, but I would be *interested* to see whether Microsoft would stoop to such a level.

I wouldn't be surprised if they started to purposely sabotage XP just to make it insecure, but I dont think they would sabotage MSE. Personally I haven't had any issues with it (besides the fact its a petty grade antivirus).