Anyone still planning to use XP?

ironman14

Hmmm... I would take that up with nuhi if I were "us". After all, it's call "whatever2009", well after XP-proper began. The point is, that -if- the base code is the same -then- those fixes -might- apply to XP-proper. Call them "Unofficial Updates" TBD.

How many here -do- have POS Ready 2009? One, that I know of. Anyone else willing to help out? :unsure:

Edited by submix8c

Then at the risk of stating the true obvious, Windows XP still isn't 100% dead. Not even including POS2009, because if you can still pay despite a hefty price to continue supporting Windows XP, then it's still not completely dead. Does anyone remember if this practice was also offered with Windows 2000 back in 2010? I know XP is more widely used than 2000 but I didn't know if there was a similar paid option with it or not. The fact is, I think Microsoft knows it created a gem with XP and they want to kill it with fire since they're losing money out on it. However, for a big fee, they'll give you custom support. So despite still being old technology, they don't mind supporting it as long as they make some money from it. I personally think it's a big money issue moreso than it is an old operating system. Windows 8 was basically a bomb and Vista was okay but not well received by many so that basically leaves Windows 7 and XP. As hard as they're trying to push Windows 8, I continue to hear people complain about how bad it is. I did read that the start menu is actually going to make a comeback in it but it won't be the true classic one we all know and love. What I don't understand is if people love Windows XP so much, why doesn't Microsoft rewrite some of the code, add new features to it, and release it as a paid service pack that you could even buy in the store. That way it could be upgraded with the newest code while retaining its XP goodness, and on top of that, MS would be making some money off of it. Who wouldn't pay even say $50 for a service pack that would update you to DirectX11, a new firewall, the ability to use IE11, and even the newest and latest hardware and have that supported for at least another 5 years or so. Maybe I'm just way off base with old fashion thinking but MS could still make some money while doing what quite a few of their customers would like. Why continue to push OSs that few like and insist that's their only option? If Windows 9 is a bomb as well and it gets to the point where Windows 2000 isn't meeting my needs anymore, I'll probably just switch to Linux. Some are doing this already and you'd think MS would be a little concerned about that.

But to sum this entire thing up, Windows XP is probably regarded as the best OS MS has released in quite a while and for most people, it works just fine. For the tried and true techies out there that insist everything always has to be the latest and greatest, they can have their new technology. But for people like me and quite a few others, as long as it works, why get rid of it? And in the case of ATMs where the only thing that is an issue is security...why would it need to be upgraded to something like Windows 7 or 8? It's a waste of an OS if you ask me. If it was stable and secure enough, ATMs and even cash registers shouldn't need anything newer than Windows 3.1 or Windows 95 (again, if security wasn't an issue). Putting Windows 7 on a cash register to me is like buying a space shuttle to go a few blocks to the grocery store.

Well this is all very interesting ... reading the last 12 - 15 posts. I didn't have a clue to actually what was being discussed but I am in learning mode.

Just a suggestion since maybe this may well turn into an XP project of some sort very shortly. Perhaps a "new thread" properly titled in the XP forum should be started today or very shortly so it can be more easily followed. Maybe someone passing through MSFN will notice it and be able to also contribute.

Sure didn't take long (the next day) for something to get started dealing with XP.

Maybe a moderator or someone here posting with knowledge of all this can get a new thread started while the discussion is still young.

Edited by monroe

Windows XP Embedded is recognised by the:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\ProductOptions\ProductSuite key value.

It must be set to EmbeddedNT.

I have tried to change the value by modifying hive offline but winlogon failed to start.

Has anyone managed to overcome this before?

Edited by harkaz

How many here -do- have POS Ready 2009? One, that I know of. Anyone else willing to help out? :unsure:

there are links to it

think best way would be that Autopatcher starts work for POSe2009

but easiest to dl patches and not install them

then simply anyone can dump it into VM and monthly or weekly provide patches for XP

I have tried to change the value by modifying hive offline but winlogon failed to start.

Has anyone managed to overcome this before?

tried to replace winlogons ? :P

Edited by vinifera

@vinifera The two winlogon.exe file are identical: they have the same MD5 and SHA-1 hashes.

It must be a kernel exception that causes this failure.

Edited by harkaz

I tried again by modifying Windows xp text-mode registry INF files. Again, system could not start at first boot (clean instalation initiated with the ProductSuite value set to "EmbeddedNT") - with a difference: it performed automatic restarts. Booting in debugging mode did not show any BSODs however.

I will try to remove the ProductSuite value from Windows Embedded to see what happens.

UPDATE: When I remove the productSuite value in POSReady 2009, winlogon starts and shows Windows Professional logo. But when I try to logon, it shows "A problem is preventing Windows from accurately checking the license for this computer. Error code: 0x8007074e "

Edited by harkaz

If you can get your hands on a evaluation key. (Not product key) you can use POSReady 2009 for a full year before shutdown. Also Keys dont expire after use.

Yes, it won't be recognised by nLite.

Why would you need to. It already is very minimalist.

If you can get your hands on a evaluation key. (Not product key) you can use POSReady 2009 for a full year before shutdown. Also Keys dont expire after use.

I have already found an OEM product key for POSReady 2009. I have been trying to find a way to convert a normal XP Pro installation to Embedded so that the Windows Update of a normal XP Pro machine would show POSReady updates without having to install Windows POSReady from scratch.

It seems that Embedded versions contain some extra files required to boot Windows properly. I have no idea which those files are. After all, it seems much easier to port any future updates manually from POSReady 2009 to normal Windows XP editions.

Edited by harkaz

Hmmm... I would take that up with nuhi if I were "us". After all, it's call "whatever2009", well after XP-proper began. The point is, that -if- the base code is the same -then- those fixes -might- apply to XP-proper. Call them "Unofficial Updates" TBD.

I'm waiting for the next patch Tuesday. From there I will download them and put them on a new thread, and on a new page for my site. Now its a waiting game. (I'm willing to help in other words)

I have already found an OEM product key for POSReady 2009. I have been trying to find a way to convert a normal XP Pro installation to Embedded so that the Windows Update of a normal XP Pro machine would show POSReady updates without having to install Windows POSReady from scratch.

It seems that Embedded versions contain some extra files required to boot Windows properly. I have no idea which those files are. After all, it seems much easier to port any future updates manually from POSReady 2009 to normal Windows XP editions.

Does it have a timer of death.

At least one POSReady2009 hotfix is known to install without any modifications on XP SP3: KB2878379-v2 (which contains Winlogon and Licdll v. 5.1.2600.6436)... :whistle:

That is a good start in the right direction :thumbup . If this works out for the normal XP user than they'd just barely end before NT 6.0 :w00t:

Does it have a timer of death.

The eval product key has a timebomb while the OEM product key doesn't. Once you enter an OEM product key during POSReady 2009 setup it's activated forever.