Anyone still planning to use XP?

ironman14

no

vista is trash to me

That's your opinion. I liked Vista, but not everyone did.

yup

thats why I wrote "to me"

on the sidenote, there is always deiscussion on POS ready 2009

but did anyone tried it personally ?

is its kernel 5.1 or 5.2 ?

no

vista is trash to me

That's your opinion. I liked Vista, but not everyone did.

yup

thats why I wrote "to me"

on the sidenote, there is always deiscussion on POS ready 2009

but did anyone tried it personally ?

is its kernel 5.1 or 5.2 ?

a) OS Version number

Original version number: 5.1.2600.5512 (Service Pack: 3)

Latest version number (April 2014): 5.1.2600.6532 (Service Pack: 3)

B) Windows PE version number is 5.2.3790.1830 (Windows Server 2003 SP1 - WinPE 2005)

Let's see if the upcoming POSReady 2009 updates will be the same as those distributed in Windows XP custom support.

Edited by harkaz

Let's see if the upcoming POSReady 2009 updates will be the same as those distributed in Windows XP custom support.

I actually never thought of that, that would be way too convenient for Microsoft. I wouldn't doubt there's one little string of code in POSReady 2009 that differs it from regular Windows XP so a PR2009 update wouldn't natively install on Windows XP because of the condition it didn't meet. I'm thinking if the update was torn apart and changed so it would recognize Windows XP as PR2009 or change the condition to include Windows XP, it would probably work. That's just my theory though. But if there honestly is custom support going on for Windows XP, it would be just too easy for them to slightly mod updates meant for something they already continue supporting and give it out for a substantial fee.

Edited by Tommy

Which they've already been doing to my knowledge ... The British and Dutch governments have paid Microsoft a hefty sum of money for custom support for government XP machines, and they're offering similarly pricey services on a client basis.

It would be nice if we would trick Windows Update into "thinking" that normal Windows XP Professional is Windows Embedded POSReady 2009.

I had found a registry key which is checked by Embedded-specific updates to ensure that Windows Embedded is used, but I can't recall it at the moment.

It would be nice if we would trick Windows Update into "thinking" that normal Windows XP Professional is Windows Embedded POSReady 2009.

I had found a registry key which is checked by Embedded-specific updates to ensure that Windows Embedded is used, but I can't recall it at the moment.

Is it possibly, "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ProductOptions"? Some Win2003-specific updates check the ProductType value under this key. "WinNT" is XP, "ServerNT" is Win2003. KB152078 has more information, but needs to be updated.

Edited by 5eraph

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------- DAMMIT! Still haven't figured out the "direct" way of getting around "quotes" ----------------

I guess you didn't notice tha Unofficial Updates happened WAY sooner than that! Win2000 was EOL July 2010. That makes nearly FOUR years! By your reconning, that would make only TWO YEARS of "unofficial"! Where do you get your figures from? Did you take that New Math / Common Core course? "Unofficial" began IMMEDIATELY at EOL, as everyone here at MSFN is fully aware. SEEMS TO BE THAT YOU, SIR, ARE ATTEMPTING TO GENERATE FUD AS WELL! ;) Be aware that AS OF THIS MOMENT the day after), there are SOME that are already awaiting the NEXT Patch Tuesday to see what can be "transplanted". :yes:

It has to do with the invisible spaces below the quotes. If you double space before making the quote you wont have the issue. Same thing happened to me till I realized the spaces were somehow being Deleted.

Yes I do use POSReady 2009. POS gets Windows xp updates. All it really is a modified version of windows XP sp3. The only software that will have issue downloading on it is M$ Word, copyright issues (though it doesn't seem to actually block it since someone did it with the portable version) . It just like normal Xp but better since it uses less resources/requirements.

Here's a chart that lists differences http://msembedded.biz/en/windows-embedded-posready-2009/posready-2009-difference-to-xpe-pro.html .

Is it possibly, "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ProductOptions"?

you should be able to do it via startup BAT/CMD script(after the winlogon/shell crap)

Edited by vinifera