Anyone still planning to use XP?

ironman14

Important Notice. The good fools at M$ did not properly remove a virus in the POSReady 2009 download. Go into your Registry or get Malwarebytes or something to remove these registries

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\SSOExec]
"Asynchronous"=dword:00000001
"Impersonate"=dword:00000001
"Logoff"="SSOReset"
"Unlock"="SSOExec"
"Lock"="SSOReset"
"DLLName"="%windir%\\temp\\sso\\ssoexec.dll"

Edited by Flasche

XP will never die as long as there is hardware availible that XP runs good on. So many programs good harware and games can run good on XP. The only threat I see to XP is React OS and that is far a long way away from being able to replace a basic 32 bit windows platform. I can say the same thing for windows 2000 and React OS.

I used to be Die hard into win 2000 to run on my older systems mainly cuz of the low memory and CPU requirement. Now programs like NLITE stripping everything out of XP makes it a better choice than 2000 as it is tiny and still much more compatible.

The only real threat to a NLITED XP that has IE mostly removed and almost all services either removed or disabled is the user themselves. In this scenario XP becomes more secure than newer versions of windows even without patches.

I have been trying to find a way to convert a normal XP Pro installation to Embedded so that the Windows Update of a normal XP Pro machine would show POSReady updates without having to install Windows POSReady from scratch.

question should be what does WU reads to see if its Embedded or not

wouldn't it be cheating to change registry entries, launch WU to download updates, then revert back changes to reg?

Theres no reason to do this. Install POS to a virtual machine check for updates/download the updates from the update catalog on the VM.

Regardless of the fact that the files may work on XP, the way in which the installers install the files is not always the same. A example of this is the differnce between embeded service pack 3 and XP service pack 3. They may contain the same files but they are not the same method of instalation. Also it is not true that pos 2009 updates will instal on XP without modification. There are some that look at the OS license type and version string of the OS and will refuse to instal. Example of this again is SP3 of XP embeded. Or windows 2003 server updates that contain the same files as the XP updates there are a few.

Edited by oldskool

Hello,

XP support officially ends today. I bet you could safely, fully use it for about 2 more years, then we may get unofficial updates.

Is anyone planning to keep XP?

In many cases it's not really a matter of "planning". The computer in my office is an old Pentium 4 machine with 512 MB of RAM. It runs XP and there's no other choice for it :P (the software used here requires Windows to operate).

My machine has XP, Win7 and Kubuntu (multiboot) My prime OS is XP , runs a treat,

Every time I use Malwarebytes, hardly ever finds anything.

Win7 I found was mucking Firefox up (Hence me reverting to XP) kept loosing the bookmarks and wouldn't load up except in Firefox "Safe mode" and wouldn't retain my settings.

Malwarebytes found 1277 issues. I cleaned them out. I also disabled all add-ons on Internet Explorer. Now 7 seems to be running better.

So which is the insecure O/S

• 3 months later...

I suppose many (if not most) of the Windows 7/8/8.1 percentages are from users who bought a new PC and didn't really have a choice but to use one of these newer OSs. I wonder what the statistic would look like if those people would have had XP as a choice.

I suppose many (if not most) of the Windows 7/8/8.1 percentages are from users who bought a new PC and didn't really have a choice but to use one of these newer OSs. I wonder what the statistic would look like if those people would have had XP as a choice.

Here you are ;)

post-25215-0-67350900-1406197196_thumb.g

[1] See:

paine-common-sense.jpg

jaclaz

Why would only THOSE people be stuck with what they bought ? This works both ways;

I suppose many (if not most) of the Windows XP percentages are from users who bought a new PC and didn't really have a choice but to use that newer OS. I wonder what the statistic would look like if those people would have had Win98 as a choice.

Or rather,...

I suppose many (if not most) of the Windows XP percentages are from users who have an old PC and don't really have a choice but to stick with it. I wonder what the statistic would look like if those people (with hardware from 2006-2009) would have an upgrade to Windows 7 as a choice.

I suppose many (if not most) of the Windows XP percentages are from users who have an old PC and don't really have a choice but to stick with it. I wonder what the statistic would look like if those people (with hardware from 2006-2009) would have an upgrade to Windows 7 as a choice.

Regretably, the day they eventually get hardware good enough for 7, it'll only be available as an used OS, if at all... so they'll be stuck with "8.11 Update 3 SR8 SP5" or whatever absurd name MS'll have come up with, by then.

I decided to will weigh in with my XP thoughts ... I guess I'm stuck with XP by choice. In 2009 when I was still 100% with Windows 98SE, I decided to buy two Pentium M ThinkPads ... a T41 and a T42 to use with my 98SE machines. In 2010 I bought another T42, almost like new ... couldn't pass it up but I really didn't need it. They weren't as cheap as they are today, being a few more years older but at the time they were reasonable ... these were all used notebooks of course.

Up until buying those Pentium M notebooks, I had two P 3 notebooks. I had read that the ThinkPad T42 was the last ThinkPad in that series that could be used with Windows 98SE ... I still thought I'd be with Windows 98SE till the end of time, or my time anyway.

However, I was having some Wi-Fi problems with a newer Netgear card ... it was hit and miss using it with Windows 98SE ... so in April 2012 I decided to give Windows XP another shot ... I had tried it a few times before over the years but it didn't seem to take hold ... this time it did and after a month or two of fine tuning and installing programs (new and old) I had a really nice XP setup.

That continues to this day ... my only problem now seems to be finding a good working browser. I am using as my main browser ... K-Meleon 1.6 by JamesD, from the K-Meleon forum ... it works for the most part but I am running into web pages where nothing opens or the page looks crazy. However, as I type this they are working on a new modern version of K-Meleon ... it's up to Beta 4 now and many people are involved working out problems, so maybe one day there will be this newer K-Meleon version as a final release.

K-Meleon 74 Beta 4

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/forum/read.php?8,127809,page=7

I also have Opera v12.17 ... this newer version was just released in April and I just found out in early July. It was an update for people not liking the newer Opera versions. I have not really used it very much and I need to work with it more, may just be the answer for now. I was using Opera v12.16 ... there were some security updates.

Opera 12.17 Out ... 23 April 2014

http://blogs.opera.com/desktop/2014/04/opera-12-17/

I also use QtWeb but it hasn't been updated for awhile but when K-Meleon doesn't work with certain web pages ... usually QtWeb will. I might add that all these browsers are portable versions.

Having invested in these three Thinkpads and adding DVD burners and such, I feel this has to be my last stand and Windows XP will also be my "final OS".

My only problem that I see for the future will be trying to find a good working browser ... I have all the programs or software that I will ever need ... I will just need a good browser that will work with XP.

I have high hopes that the new K-Meleon browser one day will be that browser ... unless they decide to move past Windows XP.

Edited by monroe