Problems running Windows 3.1 in VirtualBox

ppgrainbow

Okay, I have a problem running Windows 3.1 in the latest version of VirtualBox (v4.3.10).

When I run Windows 3.1 using the patched generic SVGA drivers, VirtualBox crashes and throws this error message:

Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager has stopped working

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: VirtualBox.exe
Application Version: 4.3.10.0
Application Timestamp: 53319206
Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.0.6002.18881
Fault Module Timestamp: 51da3d16
Exception Code: c0000026
Exception Offset: 00000000000b6fc8
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 1d76
Additional Information 2: b0fdafe74257b82a50c9d62edee9a01f
Additional Information 3: f1f1
Additional Information 4: 159e8eec7c688eeb4a4b309f2e87cc53

To make matters worse, my Windows Vista host PC even froze for several minutes before I got a chance to use Ctrl-Alt-Delete to stop a non-responsive VM.

The current settings that I have configured are the following: MS-DOS 5, 8 MB memory, 1 MB VRAM, 1 GB SCSI hard disk and CD-ROM, Windows DirectSound, SoundBlaster 16 and a AMD PCnet-PCI II NAT adapter.

Windows 3.1 with the Generic SVGA drivers works well in Standard Mode, but doesn't work correctly in 386 Enhanced Mode and crashes.

I recall that I used to sign-up for the VirtualBox forums years ago, but Oracle acquired VirtualBox from Sun and introduced a single login and now...I can't use my acocunt in the VBox forums anymore. Hopefully, someone will file a bug report to see what could be wrong here.

I'm wondering if this is a bug with the Generic SVGA drivers not cooperating in the latest version of VirtualBox or not and that there is a workaround to it. Should I post the CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT settings and determine what could be wrong with it?

If not, then I will end up removing Windows 3.1 from the hard disk image until this issue gets fixed.

Edited by ppgrainbow

Forgive my ignorance about virtual machines, but why configure anything for DOS 5.0 (?), when DOS 6.22 would clearly be better/optimal for Windows 3.1?

http://www.pcxt-micro.com/historychart.html

Does it work fine without the patched generic SVGA drivers? Just curious...

Edited by LostInSpace2012

Thanks for the help. I rebooted my PC and I don't know if the problem went away.

Windows 3.1 does work fine without the generic SVGA drivers under VirtualBox. I don't know if anyone has filed a bug report on this issue at this time. :\