So let me ask the obvious. . .

SPX

A Flash vid is an audio/video stream in an flv container streamed through RTMP. It's been little while since standalone players based on ffmpeg/mplayer such as XBMC, VLC, etc... are fully capable of that. I am surprised that someone who's as much in the latest cutting edge computing tech stuff as you are completely ignores that...

I enjoy computers. They're interesting. I even have made a living repairing them. But I long ago gave up on understanding everything about them or really keeping up on every latest development.

I also have other interests that are important and that take up a lot of time.

As for Netflix, while some people may consider this to be an essential function of their computers, other people couldn't care less about that. I hope you can understand that.

I understand that perfectly. I guess what I was trying to figure out is if there's a way for people who DO want to watch Netflix to do it on Win 98.

And since you seemed mostly focused on pay as you go VOD and Flash games, (as per all your alarmist posts) perhaps you should abandon that archaic PC technology altogether and embrace the brave new consumerist world of tablet computing, iPad and the like, don't you think???

Well my interest in archaic PC technology mostly comes from nostalgia, as I previously said. I do think it's interesting from that perspective. It's the same reason I loaded 3.11 on a machine (for about a day) even though XP was Microsoft's current OS. And the same reason I bought a 13 year old Toshiba Libretto a few years ago and spent an entire day using a combination of floppy disks and an IR connection to upgrade it from Win 95 to 98.

Tablet's are interesting, and I wouldn't mind having one, but not an iPad. I don't do Apple products. Right now I have a desktop, which I built and which I use as my primary machine to get "real" work done (video editing, for instance), and I have my new Win 8 laptop for sitting on the couch or going to the coffee shop.

Also, I don't know about any alarmist posts. Seems like there's a lot of sensitivity around here. Do people come in here and make fun of y'all a lot or something? I don't get it.

Edited by SPX

There are 4 things I couldn't care less if I tried real hard: Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, and computer gaming in general.

And make no mistake: I love plaing cards (real cards, preferably made from waxed stock-paper) and shooting pool (= pocket billiards).

I'm with you on Facebook and Twitter. And I don't play a lot of real serious computer games, but I do enjoy a bit of casual gaming. I watch a lot of Netflix, though.

I also enjoy a good game of pool.

What has netflix to do with "modern computing"? there are so many devices that can be used with netflix that most of us won't even use a PC for it.

I personally use a Roku to watch Netflix. But if I'm having problems with it, I stream it to my TV from my computer. I also have a friend who watches a lot of Netflix on her laptop.

In about 5 years, everything you said about 9x will apply to XP as well. A few years after that Vista, then 7 then 8 etc.

As far as being limited to basic stuff, I don't think so. I do quite a bit with 9x and where it is lacking I write new code to make it better. I'm still struggling to get Windows 8 to work in a 4TB Hard Drive with other stuff present. A task I solved years ago with Windows 9x.

You're right, it will apply, but I really don't see a problem with buying a new computer every five years or so, which is my usual cycle.

When you say you "do quite a bit" with 9x, can you give some examples? What advanced tasks do you perform that generally are regarded as things that can only be done on newer computers running newer OSes?

I build a new Computer every couple of years. But the first thing I do is Install Windows 98SE and adjust it to work.

Only the Computer I built a few months ago has yet to support it adequately.

I broke the 137GB Hard Disk barrier over a Decade ago. Since then I have broken the 2TiB barrier and the 4KB Logical Sector barrier for Internal and External Hard Drives, as well as provide SATA support.

My Windows 98SE supports 3GB or more of RAM.

I can work with files larger than 4GiB even in a FAT32 System.

I have written APIs for Multi-Core CPUs and 64-Bit RAM.

I am currently experimenting with GPT Disks.

I build a new Computer every couple of years. But the first thing I do is Install Windows 98SE and adjust it to work.

Only the Computer I built a few months ago has yet to support it adequately.

I broke the 137GB Hard Disk barrier over a Decade ago. Since then I have broken the 2TiB barrier and the 4KB Logical Sector barrier for Internal and External Hard Drives, as well as provide SATA support.

My Windows 98SE supports 3GB or more of RAM.

I can work with files larger than 4GiB even in a FAT32 System.

I have written APIs for Multi-Core CPUs and 64-Bit RAM.

I am currently experimenting with GPT Disks.

This man contributed a lot to our community here, and is the source to know about windows 98 (9x). The sheer work he put into 98 is unbelievable. His work is what M$ should be doing. Continuing off were they left instead of trying to reinvent it.

Why are you guys still running 9x?

I mean, hey, I grew up on it (as well as a bit of 3.11), and there are times when I feel inspired to build an old 98 system just for the nostalgia factor, but reading through these topics it looks like there are still some guys here who use 9x as their primary OS and who are seriously developing new stuff for it.

So the question is why? What drives you? What's the point? And how many of you really do use a 9x OS on your primary machine?

I grew up on it.

I like it.

Still works.

No hidden spyware.

Greater control thanks to DOS.

Me is similar to XP.

Faster than nt.

Less dependence on M$.

Less vulnerabilities.

Light on resources.

Me is my primary along Vista

Dual-booting ME with Vista, lol. What many people conisider the two worst Windows versions, on the same computer. No offense, though. It's good if it works fine for you.

By the way, on the topic of Flash, does Opera 10.10 or Firefox 3.0 support it? That would be insane, watching YouTube videos on Windows 9x. But then again, there's probably some YouTube downloader program which can stream the vids to a media player or just download them.

By the way, on the topic of Flash, does Opera 10.10 or Firefox 3.0 support it? That would be insane, watching YouTube videos on Windows 9x. But then again, there's probably some YouTube downloader program which can stream the vids to a media player or just download them.

There are already threads that indicate which Opera and FF run on 9x - 98SE I believe (unsure about ME). This is not the appropriate topic to ask in - this topic is "But why?". Go look for them. ;) Also there is KernelEX. :unsure:

Why are you guys still running 9x?

I mean, hey, I grew up on it (as well as a bit of 3.11), and there are times when I feel inspired to build an old 98 system just for the nostalgia factor, but reading through these topics it looks like there are still some guys here who use 9x as their primary OS and who are seriously developing new stuff for it.

So the question is why? What drives you? What's the point? And how many of you really do use a 9x OS on your primary machine?

I grew up on it.

I like it.

Still works.

No hidden spyware.

Greater control thanks to DOS.

Me is similar to XP.

Faster than nt.

Less dependence on M$.

Less vulnerabilities.

Light on resources.

Me is my primary along Vista

Dual-booting ME with Vista, lol. What many people conisider the two worst Windows versions, on the same computer. No offense, though. It's good if it works fine for you.

Last vanilla support for opera is 10.63, while Firefox 2.0.0.20 . I have watched YouTube videos on windows 9x before. I dont dual boot ME and Vista though :( (I dual boot me and POSReady 2009 as of yesterday) but you just gave me a very good idea ;) . I normally surf the web with ME and vista at the same time!!! Heavy web searcher am I so I must have kernelEx to get best browsing results on ME. (opera 12.02)

@CamTron:

> on the topic of Flash, does Opera 10.10 or Firefox 3.0 support it? That would
> be insane, watching YouTube videos on Windows 9x.

I watch YouTube videos *all the time* on my W98SE+DX9+KEx system! At YouTube itself or embedded. Pale Moon v3.6.32 or Firefox v3.6.28, Flash DLL v11.6.602.180 (but i had to install an earlier 11.x version and copy over the newer NPSWF32.DLL). And download video to local file with FF extension UnPlug v2.056 (latest).

As far as i recall, that's the last Flash version that works. Does anyone know if there's a newer Flash version that is compatible?

- Doug B.

@CamTron:

> on the topic of Flash, does Opera 10.10 or Firefox 3.0 support it? That would

> be insane, watching YouTube videos on Windows 9x.

I watch YouTube videos *all the time* on my W98SE+DX9+KEx system! At YouTube itself or embedded. Pale Moon v3.6.32 or Firefox v3.6.28, Flash DLL v11.6.602.180 (but i had to install an earlier 11.x version and copy over the newer NPSWF32.DLL). And download video to local file with FF extension UnPlug v2.056 (latest).

As far as i recall, that's the last Flash version that works. Does anyone know if there's a newer Flash version that is compatible?

- Doug B.

:hello: Thats right. 11.6.602.180 is the last one that works on ME/98SE and KernelEX.

The msi installation is possible with Kext and the winhttp.dll. The exe fails.

Further required is Kext with the additional entry in the Kstub822.ini "[Gdi32.dll] GdiAlphaBlend" and the DinPut8.dll to install and run higher versions up to the latest 13.0.0.182. Flash 12 and 13 don't run in Opera 10.01./10.1 anymore. 12 and 13 run for example in FF 3.5, 3.6, 4-9, PaleMoon 3.6 and Opera 10.63, 11.64, 12.02.

• 3 weeks later...
You said, "If it didn't have the limitations though, I'd use Windows 98 on every computer I own." Does that mean you have other computers running other OSes?

THAT, sir, is NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS, now is it? :no:

You're a strange person, man.

I respectfully request that this Topic be closed. :yes:

Why? Other people seem to want to talk to me. So you want to deny them that?

This is how Internet forums work: A person posts a topic. If people want to respond, they will. If they don't, they won't. You're acting like you--and everyone else who has responded--is somehow being forced to do so. If you don't want to be a part of this conversation, then it's simple: Don't.

Ah; you found out submix8c likes to bite when he doesn't get his way. I stopped posting here recently because I realized that if you're not part of the club, and some people here are not interested in your conversation or focus on Windows, they get all irritated. Not to say that there aren't good folks here; because there are. But idiots are always loudest.

The only reason I posted today, because I was glad to see I'm not the only one who gets bitten by submix8c. He owns the board you know...lol. It's his way or the Highway. No revisiting topics for a fresh perspective, and no speculation on Windows XP's afterlife, none of that. He doesn't get that it's a public forum - FOR EVERYONE.

Although it was funny; he tells me on one occasion to Google something more often when he though I was lacking detail on a point (I see he did that to you earlier in this thread as well). So then on a later occasion, he "discovers" that MSE for Vista and 7 will install on Windows XP x64 (sounding a bit like a chest gloating superstar). But if submix8c would have Googled or checked the forum, he would see that I reavealed that already. But see, I'm not "part of the club" so what I say matters none.

Too bad too, because there are lots of GOOD people here, but submix8c almost singlehandedly soured my experience.

If you look up submix8c in a thesaurus, I'm sure you'll find a list of obscene words that can't be repeated. Just to show a further smaple of his peachy demeanour, check out this thread. He's such a treat.

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/155511-x64-edition-updates-until-2015/page-2

Edited by JodyT

With all due respect, JodyT, not everybody feels like you about submix8c.

Please do bear with me and, just for a moment, do consider whether, or not, your continuous returning to what you call "Windows XP's afterlife" (I, for one, disagree: XP remains very alive!) might perhaps annoy, more than a little bit, much more members of these forums than submix8c's behaviour.

Jody, while I respect submix8c and appreciate his active participation on the forum and his willingness to share what he knows, I too have found his responses a bit harsh and strident at times and I have thought that he sometimes escalated a situation when he "reacted" and occasionally took offense or lost his patience. I have wished that he would sometimes count to ten and consider a bit more how his post would be perceived before he posted. That is not to say that his behavior is not similar to some of the other members here, but because he is a frequent poster, over 3900 posts at this time, it makes sense that he will be noticed more than some others. I would not want him to take offense at my statement here, but he might, and I sincerely hope he will continue to be a valued contributing member here for a long time to come. He has usually responded quickly, and that speed is very important at times, and he has been very good about researching info and I, and others, have benefited from that.

But then, I, like dencorso, have also been annoyed by 'your continuous returning to what you call "Windows XP's afterlife" ', and your "concern" about the safety of continuing to use XP, regardless of the many posts and external references that have been made showing that your concern appears to be unwarranted, if proper precautions are taken, so folks should feel safe continuing to use XP if it meets their needs. But then you know my opinion about the matter I'm sure. For the vast majority of your posts you have been polite, no question about that, but you have made them over and over and over ... And I hope you have felt that I have responded to your posts in a polite manner as well, though I guess I have been just as insistent as you have been. :)

And I'm sure others have been annoyed at my propensity of "butting in" to threads that are really none of my business and of which I might not have any personal experience, but I just read something that I thought might apply, or I thought I might could clarify things if it appeared to me that someone misunderstood something, or whatever.

I think all of us, including me, would be wise to take the good out of others posts, try to ignore what we feel might be offensive, assume the other person means well and might just have expressed it badly, and try to treat the other person the way we would like to be treated.

Cheers and Regards my friend