Get Windows XP x86 to recognize more than 4Gb with PAE?

AnX

Well i just switched to x64 XP, and see a massive performance improvement. IDK, PAE must just not work well on my system.

There were some stutters when multitasking, these are nonexistent in x64 XP. I guess I will have to sacrifice a small bit of compatibility for better performance. So far I've not run into any absymal issues with x64 XP, however.

Thanks for showing me those tricks, the thing is that none of them fix the problem. Windows XP x86, atleast for me, seems to hit a mysterious wall when RAM is being consumed. It could be the address space. Plus there are quite a few graphical bugs that don't exist in 64 bit XP. I'd like to have a config identical to yours, but right now I'm stick with this platform so I'm dealing with it.

Edited by AnX

Thanks, I'll test it out. I've switched to XP x64 edition on my main PC because x86 was under-performing for my needs. But I do have another PC with XP x86, and of course VMs, so I'll be sure to run tests there.

Its kind of disappointing honestly, I was hoping that it would work properly here, but various bugs creep up.

Let me go into detail. First off: No power saving feature would hope to work. I can live with that. Secondly: DirectX for some reason would stop working after a while. The clipboard stops working properly, and the comon tasks bar becomes black. And if it none of those happen, then i still have an issue when running 2 VMs simultaneously, VMware tends to hang and sometimes I need to force reboot. With XP x64, these bugs are simply nonexistent. If you can tell me the workaround to every x86 bug i've explained here and show me why i should leave x64, I'll be glad to do so.

Dibya and I think noric use Intel based systems, which could be a reason why the performance drag isn't as much with them and why PAE seems to work better there.

Edited by AnX

Let me go into detail. First off: No power saving feature would hope to work. I can live with that. Secondly: DirectX for some reason would stop working after a while. The clipboard stops working properly, and the comon tasks bar becomes black. And if it none of those happen, then i still have an issue when running 2 VMs simultaneously, VMware tends to hang and sometimes I need to force reboot. With XP x64, these bugs are simply nonexistent. If you can tell me the workaround to every x86 bug i've explained here and show me why i should leave x64, I'll be glad to do so.

Dibya and I think noric use Intel based systems, which could be a reason why the performance drag isn't as much with them and why PAE seems to work better there.

I use a Sandy Bridge system, yes.

I experience none of those bugs, so I can't help.  Sorry. However, power saving and DirectX and black bar point to a graphic driver problem. Do you happen to have a spare gpu to test with?

XP x64 is a great system, I've used it for some months the last year. I regret I never switched to it years ago, giving in to claims all over the web that it's a horrible system. This isn't true, at all. It's great and very stable. The only problem is that it's not very supported, when it comes to modern x64 software.

Also, a very annoying bug (at least for me) is that you can't get audio files matadata to show in Explorer. See http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9871Please let me know if you fix this, I tried and failed some time ago.

Aaaand.....

FYI, the latest SP4v3 version, which has just been released has a working 4GB patch for the latest HAL/KERNEL files.

Download at RyanVM.net.

Technical info about the patch available here: http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=140551#140551

....I get to delete the previous ones from my HDD and download the lastest EOL (heh...) SP4. (Yay!)

I experience none of those bugs, so I can't help.  Sorry. However, power saving and DirectX and black bar point to a graphic driver problem. Do you happen to have a spare gpu to test with?

XP x64 is a great system, I've used it for some months the last year. I regret I never switched to it years ago, giving in to claims all over the web that it's a horrible system. This isn't true, at all. It's great and very stable. The only problem is that it's not very supported, when it comes to modern x64 software.

Also, a very annoying bug (at least for me) is that you can't get audio files matadata to show in Explorer. See http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9871Please let me know if you fix this, I tried and failed some time ago.

Hmm... I tried the same and i can't get media info either. I assume its a limitation imposed by the server 2003 platform the OS is based on. I use winamp which shows the info, so it has never been a big deal for me. I'm not too sure how to fix this, but the OS simply has loads of advantages over these small disadvantages, which is why I'm pretty reluctant to go back to 32 bit.

XP 64 bit is considerably better at games and gaming overall, which is what I do a lot of. It also runs Steam better, no choppiness.

Edited by AnX

Hmm... I tried the same and i can't get media info either. I assume its a limitation imposed by the server 2003 platform the OS is based on. I use winamp which shows the info, so it has never been a big deal for me. I'm not too sure how to fix this, but the OS simply has loads of advantages over these small disadvantages, which is why I'm pretty reluctant to go back to 32 bit.

XP 64 bit is considerably better at games and gaming overall, which is what I do a lot of. It also runs Steam better, no choppiness.

Indeed, in your situation you're better off with x64 XP.

...XP x64...

Hmm... I tried the same and i can't get media info either. I assume its a limitation imposed by the server 2003 platform the OS is based on.

Try this. Windows Imaging Component (64-bit)

A little piece of the OS that was left out of x64 for whatever reason. I had to add it to my XP x64 "MediaPC/HTPC" that I built recently. I don't know if it directly addresses the problem you mentioned but I had to add it for something I needed... Ugh I must be getting old lol my memory is fuzzy! :lol:

BTW I use the PAE patch for about 1 year and dind't find more problems than I described here before. Just only one a bit uncomfortable behavior that may be linked with this patch - when I plug in USB some flash disk that I use 1st time then Found new hardware wizard appear and I need to point the usbstor.sys driver and install it again (of course it's already installed and usbstor.inf is present in INF directory). When I plug this flashdisk again it's recognized automatically and no more Wizard (it probably store it's s/n to registry).

On my notebook with less RAM where I didn't applied PAE patch I never see wizard for any flash device and it works automatically. I suspect the problem may be caused by using usbstor.sys from Win2k3 server (I changed INF too) and driver signing. I tried to set This Computer|Hardware|Driver Signing to Ignore but any change. I also tried other tips found for this issue but still appeard wizard for new flash. Do you, other users who replaced usbstor.sys, observed same problem? (you need to try with some new flash disk not one you already use).

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10547

new version realesed by me .

* New kerenal from posready update

* No need of /pae switch

* New hals

*Fixed problem with AmD processor user(Reported by AnX)

This kernel version is old. (Dated 2016-01-16 3:51, version 5.1.2600.6748 in Windowsxp_remove_4gb_Ram_limit_addon.7z)

There is 5.1.2600.7005 in my system now.

It will be nice if you can show what you modified in ntos*.exe and/or hal dlls so people can address them when newer kernel comes.

Edited by roytam1

http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10547

new version realesed by me .

* New kerenal from posready update

* No need of /pae switch

* New hals

*Fixed problem with AmD processor user(Reported by AnX)

This kernel version is old. (Dated 2016-01-16 3:51, version 5.1.2600.6748 in Windowsxp_remove_4gb_Ram_limit_addon.7z)

There is 5.1.2600.7005 in my system now.

It will be nice if you can show what you modified in ntos*.exe and/or hal dlls so people can address them when newer kernel comes.

I think a automatic patcher will be fine