Get Windows XP x86 to recognize more than 4Gb with PAE?

AnX

However, there no sure way to prevent the OS from moving just rramdisk.sys... the best that can be done is to disable the PagingExecutive, and it works great.

I belived that windows (and other OSes) use non-paged pool memory for critical things like ISRs and drivers to prevent be paged out. What do you exactly mean by "disable the PagingExecutive"? You mean disable page file in control panels?

No, he means "DisablePagingExecutive":

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc959492.aspx

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc757875.aspx

jaclaz

While we're at it and just for the record I'd like to paste here the best info about DisablePagingExecutive and LargeSystemCache that I've ever found in my travels:

"I've been a certified MS Engineer since the late 90s.

DisablePagingsExecutive
On a desktop OS (which is really just the server OS with a features removed), turning on DisablePagingExecutive means:

The kernel will NEVER be paged out of ram. It IS acceptable to page the kernel! Why? the swap file is part of the memory management system. At first, it MUST be loaded to ram, but then it can be swapped out if the system NEEDS to memory, and it's NOT the last to go. I've watched with tools, and as memory use grows, it starts swapping out idle parts of the kernel along with other idle services, drivers, DLLs, exes, etc. Remember the paging file is part of the virtual memory system. So setting this to 1 SHOULD NEVER, EVER slow your system down. In fact on low memory systems, it will greatly speed things up. On high memory systems 4, 8, 16, 32 GB of RAM, the setting will have little effect, but it will NOT slow it, nor will it harm it. IMO it's best to PREVENT the kernel from EVER being swapped. That way if you do use up your memory, the system will be more responsive while under load, and once the memory is free and the system is loading things back in from the paging file(s). This way the kernel is right in memory and windows stays a bit faster.

LargeSystemCache
Yes this is the flag for servers, but it, in no way slow your system down, NOR will it give ANY CPU priority to background services, apps, tasks, etc!

Here is why the old way to get this was to be optimized for a server. If , on a server, you chose that the server would be mostly used for file access, etc, it would set this to a 1. This way you get a NICE, BIG HD cache to reduce thrashing of the HDD(s). It in NO WAY adjusts system priorities. There are other options where you get a small cache on a server. This is for databases that use RAM to cache themselves (MS SQL, Exchange, etc). I see no reason NOT to enable LargeSystemCache. This will cause Windows to use ALL of your available memory for the HDD cache, and I do mean ALL of it. There are pros and cons.

Cons:
1a) slower load times from login screen to desktop to when the HDD stops thrashing about? Why?
1b) This is because up SUPERFETCH AND the largesystem cache. Why?
1c) Superfetch keeps track of all your most run programs, and pre-caches their DLLs, exes, and even some data files. With Superfetch on and LargeCache on, once the system is at the login screen, Superfetch will keep pre-caching until 1) ALL free memory is cache memory, 2) There is nothing more to pre-cache in which case, you will have some cache and some free memory. As soon as you start using windows, the read cache will fill the rest up quickly

Pros:
1) Once superfetch has pre-cached things, programs, games, etc will load lightning fast
2) if you've have 8GB of memory, win 8 takes 2GB, the game takes 2GB, that leaves 4GB to cache the game... as the game plays, it will eventually no longer need to read the HDD (or very little)
3) if the system needs free memory, and all thats left is CACHE, a few things happen, and windows makes a few QUICK decisions
3a) Any idle programs, dlls, services, etc are IMMEDIATELY swapped to the page file (windows wants to preserve as much as the cache as it can)
3b) While 3a is going on, if the data can't be swapped out fast enough, the read cache is instantly wiped out (not all of it, but as much memory that is needed) and converted to free memory
4) this all happens in a few seconds
5) Once the program/game unloads, the stuff that was swapped out, ACTUALLY STAYS swapped out until it's needed, and superfetch kicks in and starts pre-caching again

If you have write back cache enabled on your drives, and lets say you are copying a 16GB file... ALL free memory will be used for that write back cache. Windows will write the data to memory cache, then to the HDD in the most efficient way.. but lets say you are copying that 16GB file, and while you are doing it, you fire up a program that wants 4GB of ram... Windows CAN NOT just wipe the cache part of memory like it does for read data! In this case, EVERY idle app, service, etc gets swapped. If that's not enough, then ACTIVE things get swapped, and the system gets VERY SLOW until that write operation finishes and the write cache empty... this is a RARE circumstance.

IMO the PROs far outweigh the cons. So I keep both DisablePagingExecutive and LargeSystemCache set to 1."

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/showthread.php/146767-Load-Windows-Kernel-directly-into-Ram?p=927812&viewfull=1#post927812

• 1 month later...

Just an update to say that for me it's been working very well for 4-5 months. No BSODs or other major issues. I often have a couple of VMs running, along with a 1GB firefox session. This way I often have 5-6GB in use.

I wanted to point out that I've just solved the issue I had with usb 2.0 ports. After I used to plug a peripheral in one of my usb 2.0 ports, there was another port that completely stopped working until reboot. The other two ports worked well. Until today I had replaced only usbport.sys and usbhub.sys.
But I've now replaced usb*.sys files with those provided with the Chinese patch. They come from win2k3 and they solved my problem.

For now I'm fine (the only other problem is that I can't format with usb 3.0 ports, but it's related to Nec/Renesas driver, maybe I'll try to install a win7 driver for that).

For those who still have issues, in my opinion the best bet would be to replace all *.sys files with those from win2k3.

I have now a question: the Chinese patch includes four files that I can't find on my installation. They are:
1) usb8023x.sys
2) usbohci.sys
3) usbscan.sys
4) usbuhci.sys
Do you have those four files?
Thanks.

Edit: another thing. I have two files (usbcamd.sys and usbcamd2.sys) that aren't replaced by the Chinese patch. What do you think I must do? My webcam is working fine (even though I believe it uses a third party driver).

Thanks.

Edited by noric

• 7 months later...

any guys /gal can help me please

My usb HSPA dongle MMX377G Dongle from micromax stoped working and when I try to connect net .my pc get freazed.

I have applied chinese patch and following 2k3 driver

usbccgp.sys

usbd.sys

usbehci.sys

usbohci.sys

usbport.sys

usbuhci.sys

please help me

any guys /gal can help me please

My usb HSPA dongle MMX377G Dongle from micromax stoped working and when I try to connect net .my pc get freazed.

I have applied chinese patch and following 2k3 driver

usbccgp.sys

usbd.sys

usbehci.sys

usbohci.sys

usbport.sys

usbuhci.sys

please help me

I would try to replace usbhub.sys first, that's strongly advised.

????

http://www.micromaxinfo.com/data-card/3g/mmx377g

http://www.flipkart.com/micromax-mmx377g-3g-data-card/p/itmdkwbnvhzfqdwg

So... you're PATCHING files (after being warned) to use more than 3.xGB RAM on XP 32-Bit (x86) and it "stopped working"?

Dibya, you're going really deep into a dark hole, considering you sunk $ into a "MSI Z170A Gaming M7" and expecting it (also) to support XP x86, I'm sorry to say. :no:

????

http://www.micromaxinfo.com/data-card/3g/mmx377g

http://www.flipkart.com/micromax-mmx377g-3g-data-card/p/itmdkwbnvhzfqdwg

So... you're PATCHING files (after being warned) to use more than 3.xGB RAM on XP 32-Bit (x86) and it "stopped working"?

Dibya, you're going really deep into a dark hole, considering you sunk $ into a "MSI Z170A Gaming M7" and expecting it (also) to support XP x86, I'm sorry to say. :no:

Hi, 

@submix8c, I fixed that yesterday by porting *all* sys files from 2k3!

I have installed win8.1 in msi new mobo so no problem  . I can use xp in my old pc for my work and new msi one for gaming. Xp is there in my most favourit pc GA- H61M-WW with core i7 2600k and (8+2)gb ram + 120gb ssd and a radeon 9600pro gfx card.(old rig)

I have another good thing that my grandpa gifted me 8.11x64 pro.

thanks for kindly helping me.

@submix8c, I fixed that yesterday by porting *all* sys files from 2k3!

Hi Dibya, could you please state which sys files you replaced exactly?

Do visit his thread over on RyanVM's, and you'll sure find out...

IF there was a list of the .sys files there that would probably help answer the question ... :whistle:

I suppose that the idea is instead that of downloading a .7z containing everything (and the kitchen sink) and get the list from the files, without knowing which file does what and whether it needs to be replaced or not. :unsure:

jaclaz

jaclaz

I'd like to know from Dibya how he chose the sys files to replace. I installed win2k3 in a VM some time ago, and I collected all of the sys files there. There are many more than those included in Dibya's addon. Just asking.

The kitchen sink is the 1st piece one must replace, that's for sure!

Nahhh, only if it is an old version, 5.1.2600.5512 or earlier, they were too d@mn thin and leaked ;).

I'd like to know from Dibya how he chose the sys files to replace. I installed win2k3 in a VM some time ago, and I collected all of the sys files there. There are many more than those included in Dibya's addon. Just asking.

Yep :), and my point was (at first sight) that the number of files Dibya "replaced" are already more than those *strictly needed* :unsure:.

jaclaz