Get Windows XP x86 to recognize more than 4Gb with PAE?

AnX

The low offset is checksum in PE header, it's not interesting. I already disassembled the part of code but as Dencorso told, it needs wider scope to get understand what's happening.
Here's briefly described what is hal.dll patch about (I don't know if it's releated to chinese patch, probably no)

xpntkrn1.gif

xpntkrn2.gif

xphal1.gif

xphal2.gif

Edited by xrayer

Where to find the latest usbhub.sys from win2k3? It's not included in KB2862330.

Edit: also, in this Chinese forum they seem to say the ide driver needs to be substituted too:post-400514-0-32269900-1418210500_thumb.

I'm on AHCI, though. Let's hope iastor.sys doesn't need to be substituted.

Edited by noric

Thanks dencorso, I think I'm fine with what I have, then. I have a 5.2.3790.3959 usbhub.sys and in the properties it mentions SP2.

I've just patched my main system (until now it was only on VM) and it booted just fine. It's a Lenovo notebook. I used ntkl64G and hal64G from the Chinese patch (I grabbed them from the VM and manually put them in system32), created an entry in boot.ini with /kernel and /hal switches, substituted usbport.sys and usbhub.sys.

- 8GB ram detected (not stress-tested it yet, though)

- webcam working, even though it doesn't use usbvideo.sys driver

Ok, I did some preliminary testing.
At first I checked overall performance with Passmark PerformanceTest (http://www.passmark.com/products/pt.htm), a light but complete benchmarking suite.
2D and 3D graphics scores improved a little, compared to non-PAE system.

Memory scores didn't change.
SSD speed (with AHCI driver) didn't change.
Good! ;)

Daemon Tools also seems to work. I mounted an ISO with Daemon Tools, opened ImgBurn and created an ISO of the virtual drive with that, finally compared the content of the new ISO with that of the original ISO and it's the same (MD5 compare).

Eventually I find the first issue. I have an USB3.0 controller (with NEC chipset) and, while I can transfer data to and from attached drives, I can't format them. Not a big issue, honestly, but "upsetting" nonetheless.

Now, let's see how long it takes to the first BSoD! :D

Thanks dencorso, I think I'm fine with what I have, then. I have a 5.2.3790.3959 usbhub.sys and in the properties it mentions SP2.

I have a newer one, 5.2.3790.4555 , from some later hotfix update, props: 5.2.3790.4555 (srv03_sp2_qfe.090718-1230)

I got second time restart when launching BlazeDTV app for DVB so it's not just a coincidence. I googled hard and found a newer FlyDVB hybrid PCI tuner driver (2 years after current) that is unified for WinXP-Win8.1 so I could hope that it will help.

Given we have enabled PAE, how could we make a single process use more than 2GB of memory? Do we still need to use the /3GB switch in boot.ini? Or is it enough to set the IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE flag in the executable?

Thanks.

I've just tried the /3GB switch (also paired with the /userva switch), but it doesn't work with my laptop.

With only the /3GB, the boot stalls with the bar continuously loading.

If I add the /userva, it boots to desktop but there's a problem with the graphics (very low resolution and very low number of colors). Don't know if maybe the Intel HD3000 graphics driver is at fault.

However, I've read that it's quite uncommon fot the /3GB switch to work on laptops.

yes, Intel graphic drivers are buggy and don't work with PAE.

Well, in my case they do work with PAE (2D and 3D benchmarks yield the same result as without PAE). It's the /3GB switch that breaks everything, WITH OR WITHOUT PAE.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I found another compatability issue with XP PAE.

I have USB logic analyser and using driver and software from Saleae. Their's driver is based on winusb.sys that is some new universal MS filter/API for various usb classes. It adds top layer over low-level USB drivers. User can call functions via winusb.dll

The behavior is weird because I don't get any BSOD but instead if I select higher sample rate than 4MS/s the application freeze and sampling progress bar even doesn't move. But this application freeze also freeze entire OS, I cannot launch task manager and cannot turn off system normal way so reset buton is the only possibility. Sometimes it even feeze the mouse. When I select 4MS/s or lower everything works fine. When I disable XP64G and boot unpatched kernel it works fine for all sample rates up to 24MS/s. It is 100% predictable behavior, I tried many times. I also tried to update winusb.sys from win7 sp1 (6.1.7601.17514, previous was 6.1.7600.16385) but any change. I also tried newer one from Win8.1 but it doesn't work at all. But most probably winusb.sys is not the root of problem, it relies on low level drivers. I have replaced all usb*.sys drivers from win2003 so I don't have idea where else the problem can be burried...

Hm there's some depencies diagram I found that HIDUSB.SYS in my system is original from XP (5.1.2600.5512) so maybe replacement will help..