Windows 8.1 update (Start Menu)

epic

metro was just another excuse to integrate IE even deeper into OS that is necessary

Doesn't help that flash is integrated into it too :( .

All 4 (four) of them ;).

jaclaz

:thumbup +1

Edited by Flasche

Windows 8.1 is perfectly stable for me. It runs for weeks on end, between updates. I'm a software engineer and use it hard every day on a big system.

A few things are slower, most are about the same as Win 7. A very few things are faster, but not by much.

There's really VERY little difference outside of the deleted desktop features, and whatever's happening on the Metro/Modern side (don't use it myself).

Honestly, the system seems about the same after the "Spring Update" as before. No difference in performance, no difference in functionality that I see. Certainly there's no new Start Menu, but who cares? We have tools like Classic Shell now that are better than any version of the Start Menu Microsoft ever made. We even now have Aero Glass so it's not such an eyesore.

XPClient's got it right: "3rd party applications make Windows 8 my idea". I'd add "and lots of reconfiguration" to that myself.

If you shut off / work around / avoid everything Microsoft's done to it since Vista it's not a bad system at all.

-Noel

I hate to admit it but I am converted to Windows 8.1 and I feel very comfortable with it after a little bit of tweaking, namely, OldNewExplorer, StartIsBack and Aero Glass, I still love Windows 7 and and 8 doesn't bring anything new that I really care about, modern apps are a bit of fun but I rarely visit the modern apps start screen, I think the only real improvements for me would be slightly better boot times, less RAM usage and I guess it feels a little quicker.

Certainly there's no new Start Menu, but who cares? We have tools like Classic Shell now that are better than any version of the Start Menu Microsoft ever made. We even now have Aero Glass so it's not such an eyesore.

The average user would not know how to downloads these though. It just shows that M$ doesnt really care about the user that much. (for kicks and giggles read this http://articles.latimes.com/2014/mar/04/business/la-fi-tn-1-10-americans-html-std-study-finds-20140304 )

Has anyone updated, thoughts?

Is there a start menu?

So Microsoft is ending support to 8.1 if we chose not to update... oh boy, I sure wish this were 400 A.D. era I'd be beheading neanderthals with joy.

Has anyone updated, thoughts?

Is there a start menu?

So Microsoft is ending support to 8.1 if we chose not to update... oh boy, I sure wish this were 400 A.D. era I'd be beheading neanderthals with joy.

I can see why. Windows 8.1 was supposed to be the start menu version from the getco. Windows 8 is tablet os, 8.1 the desktop os, and windows rt being the cellphone os.

MAybe enough to get me to switch to 8 from xp x64 for gaming since they re-neabled hardware accelerated audio. Will have to see though, I am not optimistic becasue the guy was like "that customers want" Then said "some" customers want. It just shows how disconnected MS is reality. He had it right the 1st time. No reason to try and back track and make mistakes.

Edited by oldskool

MAybe enough to get me to switch to 8 for gaming since they re-neabled hardware accelerated audio. Will have to see though, I am not optimistic becasue the guy was like "that customers want" Then said "some" customers want. It just shows how disconnected MS is reality. He had it right the 1st time. No reason to try and back track and make mistakes.

Maybe he was refering to the few and fare between metro fans. (I personally like it :crazy: ... on a tablet that is :P "still dont find it great then")

Edited by Flasche

MAybe enough to get me to switch to 8 for gaming since they re-neabled hardware accelerated audio. Will have to see though, I am not optimistic becasue the guy was like "that customers want" Then said "some" customers want. It just shows how disconnected MS is reality. He had it right the 1st time. No reason to try and back track and make mistakes.

Maybe he was refering to the few and fare between metro fans. (I personally like it :crazy: ... on a tablet that is :P "still dont find it great then")

I can see metro for tablets, but it should have never been forced upon desktop users. It's like Windows ME all over again, but genuinely a more advanced OS. As I noted in a previous thread, metro and all these other apps should have been included as a "FEATURE" so users can enable/disable as they wanted to. With the way it is now even if you "uninstall" some of these apps from metro, they're still installed and running in the background hogging system resources. Anyway, as a feature, desktop users could enable / disable the feature if they wanted to, especially if some of those users had touchscreen, but MOST desktop users do not have touchscreen for their desktops, especially within the corporate environment, obviously, there is absolutely NO point to have touchscreen features within a system whcih only uses mouse/keyboard. Tablet users, obviously, metro is useful, but NOT for most desktop users.

Edited by epic

I can see metro for tablets, but it should have never been forced upon desktop users. It's like Windows ME all over again, but genuinely a more advanced OS. As I noted in a previous thread, metro and all these other apps should have been included as a "FEATURE" so users can enable/disable as they wanted to. With the way it is now even if you "uninstall" some of these apps from metro, they're still installed and running in the background hogging system resources. Anyway, as a feature, desktop users could enable / disable the feature if they wanted to, especially if some of those users had touchscreen, but MOST desktop users do not have touchscreen for their desktops, especially within the corporate environment, obviously, there is absolutely NO point to have touchscreen features within a system whcih only uses mouse/keyboard. Tablet users, obviously, metro is useful, but NOT for most desktop users.

Windows 8 is the product of M$ panicking to enter the tablet market. Windows 8.1 shouldnt exist for it should of been windows 8.0 (desktop) and windows rt (mobile). Instead they made windows 8.0 into this http://goo.gl/NnRr5S . Personally I don't even know what they were thinking. Ubuntu tried the "metro" interface way before hand, and it flopped.

It's like Windows ME all over again

Sadly that is true. M$ did not take proper care of Me at all. (Not saying me is a bad os, but they missed out on a great potential)

Edited by Flasche

After the relative failure of Windows Vista (when they believed that they had reinvented the wheel) Microsoft is apparently in a permanent state of confusion. Windows are always Windows, though, let's hope that they'll make their mind about what they want to do and Windows 9 will head to the right direction.