Upgrade XP to Vista then convert to OEM on a Dell?

bizzybody

I've taken a hard drive with XP Pro 32 bit from a dead system (failing power supply) and installed it in a Dell Optiplex 755 that came with Vista. XP fails to boot the Dell. Stop error 0x0000007b. Most likely the SATA controller in the old box was set to IDE mode.

What I'd like to do is boot off a Vista DVD, do an upgrade (32bit) to keep all the owner's files etc, then convert to OEM to match the original Vista version the Dell shipped with.

Should be all legal etc since the computer will have the same OS version it originally came with.

Edit: Just tried the ATA and Legacy settings on the Dell, it refuses to see the hard drive as a boot device with those. It'll only boot off the hard drive when set the AHCI mode.

Edited by bizzybody

That could mean that the "old machine" install had SATA drivers but that they are not compatible with the "new" machine,

You can "force" the "Standard IDE" drivers on the OFFLINE install with DriverInjectionGUI or MSSTMAKE:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?&showforum=43

and then boot (most likely only in Safe Mode intiially, as there will be probably other "different drivers") in IDE mode, then "fix" the XP install.

(or try forcing "directly" the appropriate SATA drivers, though this in some cases does not work properly).

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Going to try UBCD4Win on a flash drive to correct the HDC. Then I'll try starting Vista 32 bit upgrade from a flash drive. That it'll boot from. For some reason this Optiplex 255 claims it can't read a file (after it boots from the disc) on every bootable CD or DVD I've tried - all of which I know are just fine because they work on other computers.

Try to use the F12 boot menu to boot from USB and it locks up, but set USB to be the first option in BIOS and it'll boot. Gets the same bogus "errors" from discs either way. It'd probably work fine with a replicated Dell OEM XP or Vista disc. (Stupid backarsewards design with the slots on the wrong end - and everything else proprietary about it! How can it cost them less to make a completely custom design???)

Edit: Now this is just crazy. UBCD4Win boots off USB to the menu, I launch it and partway through it switches to booting off the hard drive and of course BSOD. How can it be use to fix a PC that will not boot if it insists on attempting to boot off the hard drive? In over 30 years I've not seen a PC so resistant to functioning properly as this Dell!

Edited by bizzybody

Finally, success.

Downloaded the F6 Intel Matrix Storage Manageer driver floppy, extracted the WinImage EXE, used MagicISO to extract iastor.sys from that temp.IMA file. Plugged the hard drive into a non-Dell computer.

Then UBCD4Win was able to boot correctly. Copied iastor.sys to windows\system32\drivers and used the remote Registry editor to merge

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\pci#ven_8086&dev_2922&cc_0106]"Service"="iaStor""ClassGUID"="{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}"[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStor]"Type"=dword:00000001"Start"=dword:00000000"Group"="SCSI miniport""ErrorControl"=dword:00000001"ImagePath"="system32\\drivers\\iaStor.sys""tag"=dword:00000019"DisplayName"="Intel AHCI Controller"[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStor\Parameters]"queuePriorityEnable"=dword:00000000[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStor\Enum]"0"="PCI\\VEN_8086&DEV_2922&SUBSYS_B0051458&REV_02\\3&13c0b0c5&0&FA""Count"=dword:00000001"NextInstance"=dword:00000001

NOW it boots the Dell into Windows XP so *finally* I can do the XP32 to Vista32 upgrade.

From there I should be able to OEM the thing and the horrid little black box can go off to a happy owner. :)

In over 30 years I've not seen a PC so resistant to functioning properly as this Dell!

Well, that's only because in all this time your paths never crossed a DELL. ;)

They are reknown "troublemakers".

Happy you managed to have it working. :)

jaclaz