Windows File Protection not accepting nlite-disk

whocares02

Hey listen, I know it's easy just to move all problems to the source. But no matter how often it got recommended already, I don't start from scratch again, not after two weeks. All problems up to now were solvable and not related to my disk. I'll try submix' attempt now - and if I fail, I still got a full-unattended, working and pre-configured XP with a minor bug in SFC. I actually can live with it.

Edit:

Guess what: On the vbox-machine running my testinstall, SFC is working now, after I inserted the original CD.

When I remove some helpfile from

\windows\help

and

\windows\system32\dllcache

for testing, SFC wants the CD. For some reason it accepts my nlite-disc now!

I have NO IDEA how and why! Opening ims.inf shows all cdtag-filenames uppercase (not sure if I did that modification). All strings still just read "Windows XP Home" without the word "Edition". I'll copy the files now and try them on a fresh nlite-install. Will post here upon success.

Edited by whocares02

There are files missing on my nlite-disk. I really believe that. The folder \windows\system32\dllcache contains 76 files only, after a fresh installation. When running

sfc /scannow

and inserting the original cd, windows immediately fills that folder. Up to now it contains over 900 files already and SFC's progress-bar is only at 25% right now. I'm sure SFC will accept the nlite-cd afterwards. I guess it was just a bad idea switching off SFC in nlite.

I'm trying submix' advice now, changing ims.in_ to recompile the iso for a next install.

in addition to his renaming of cd-id-strings in the extracted ims.inf, I changed win51ip2 to win51ic2 as well, since this seems to be the string for a 2nd-SP2-CD.

cd2name = "Windows XP Professional CD2"cd2tagfilei = "\win51ic2";{locked}

My only question now is: How do I recompress with 7zip?

Edit:

Submix, I just tried renaming the cd-strings in an installed nlite-xp, in the way you described (just within \windows\inf\ims.inf). It's not working. SFC still complains, even after reboot. Are you sure it will work when editing ims.in_ in the iso? I (of course) did copy back all three files' original versions before modifying them in my running windows to ensure to make only described modifications.

Edited by whocares02

@mooms: It's not that easy: Nlite is always a bit capricious when integrating hotfixes and updates. E.g I found out it's a good idea cleaning the list and reimport all hotfixes to ensure nlite will integrate them, after loading the last session. Also some hotfixes need to be in special order. MSXML for instance needs to be at the end of the list, as well as IE7. Since Microsoft released a few hundred updates, I'm everytime glad when integration was successfull. I really don't wanna repeat that step if not neccesary.

There are files missing on my nlite-disk. I really believe that. ... I guess it was just a bad idea switching off SFC in nlite.

Well, yeah. :)

:lol: Thank you!

Edit:

Allright, I did it - running nlite again. This time with SFC enabled and IE8 included. Seems even IE8 isn't rejected this time, though there are problems with some of its updates. I put them in RunOnceEc.cmd to install them silently after setup. Curious already if SFC will work after test-install is complete (still in progress right now.)

Edit:

Yap, it's working! Opening

C:\Windows\System32\dllcache

already shows over 2000 files, directly after XP-installation. Removing a file from there and from windows-folder brings up CD-insert-request. nLite-disk gets accepted and files restored. I am using a modified ims.inf in addition. Hence I'm not sure if enabling SFC in nlite alon did the trick.

My ims.inf reads all cd-tag-names in capitals (because files on cd are uppercase as well).

cdtagfile = "\WIN51IP";{locked}

cdtagfilei = "WIN51IP";{locked}

cdtagfilem = "WIN51MP";{locked}

spcdtagfilei = "WIN51IP.SP2";{locked}

cd2tagfilei = "\WIN51IP2";{locked}

In addittion, all strings reading "Professional" are replaced with "Home".

Problem solved!

Edited by whocares02

Is it possible nlite didn't work cleanly when removing parts from windows ... Didn't anyone suffered the same problem before? Disabling SFC is pretty hidden in nlite's wizard. It seems re-enabling it after installation isn't done by too many users.

There are files missing on my nlite-disk. I really believe that. ... I guess it was just a bad idea switching off SFC in nlite.

Well, yeah. :)

There might be a good reason that was hidden in the wizard. When most folks disable/remove SFC in nLite they don't plan on using it. Of course files will be missing if you try to re-enable it later. This is often true regarding any feature that you remove through nLite. Many features cannot be added back in later without practically starting over. Which is what folks have been advising you to do as well, though I understand your reluctance to do so.

Hey listen, I know it's easy just to move all problems to the source. But no matter how often it got recommended already, I don't start from scratch again, not after two weeks.

Keep in mind that you still might find more missing stuff later, such as a registry entry or something. Just sayin'

Cheers and Regards

I am SOOOOOOO glad for you, even if you TOTALLY DISREGARDED my findings and instructions TO THE LETTER and report back (should I have translated to Deutsch for you? I took 2 years in HS. :yes: ).

I will now proceed to treat your posts as I have done with others of your mindest - disregard you back.

Good luck with the next problems you may encounter. ;)

:lol: SORRY, didn't see your answer up to now! It's not true what you say! :angel I tried your attempt. I modified my ims.inf exactly as described by you without success. Doing the same within the iso was not possible for me. :whistle: You didn't tell me how to recompress ims.in_ with 7zip. :D I'm sure XP don't accept .7z-files - so some other option must be chosen. With just moving back the modified file into the archive, 7zip complained something alike "operation not possible".

Edited by whocares02