Windows File Protection not accepting nlite-disk

whocares02

???

That does NOT look like an "original" if the label says "HOME" and the INF has PRO in it! :no:

Could you scan your "original" and post the scan image? You NEVER provided a Directory Listing, so who KNOWS what you really have? :unsure:

(I googled "GER_HOME_SP2" - fishy...)

"cdtagfile" IS the values for the one in question and are the TAG files in the ROOT of the CD!

MY IMS.INF For HOME Edition is

cdname   = "Windows XP Home Edition CD-ROM"productname   = "Windows XP Home Edition"bootname1      = "Windows XP Home Edition SP2 Setup Boot Disk"bootname2      = "Windows XP Home Edition SP2 Setup Disk #2"bootname3      = "Windows XP Home Edition SP2 Setup Disk #3"bootname4      = "Windows XP Home Edition SP2 Setup Disk #4"bootname5      = "Windows XP Home Edition SP2 Setup Disk #5"bootname6      = "Windows XP Home Edition SP2 Setup Disk #6"cdtagfile     = "\win51ic"cdtagfilei     = "\win51ic"cdtagfilem     = "\win51mc"boottagfile1     = "\disk101"boottagfile2     = "\disk102"boottagfile3     = "\disk103"boottagfile4     = "\disk104"boottagfile5     = "\disk105"boottagfile6     = "\disk106"spcdname = "Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 CD"spcdtagfilei     = "\win51ic.sp2"

so I find it HIGHLY unlikely that it's a kosher CD.

Post#7 by jaclaz - you REFUSE to answer! :ph34r:

Edited by submix8c

@Kel - exact-a-mundo! ;) BUSTED!

I'd say this exercise in futility is over, seeing as how this mix-and-match "DVD - or is it a CD" issue is ovah!

Edited by submix8c

submix, I just like your picture! It fits to your answer right now. If you red carefully, you would know that it is a microsoft-bug that the inf-file reads professional instead of home. Propably the change came with some hotfix. However, microsoft recommends changing the file manually to replace all occurences of "professional" with "home" (See previously posted link).

(I googled "GER_HOME_SP2" - fishy...)

I told you in my other threat already, the PC was from a (well-known) supermarket-chain. They did customize the disk slightly.

"cdtagfile" IS the values for the one in question and are the TAG files in the ROOT of the CD!

Well, as soon I modify it in layout.inf (e.g. uppercase instead of lowercase) sfc stops requesting a disk (though no disk is inserted).

So I reverted my changes - SFC is asking for CD again.

I changed all cdtag-entrys in ims.inf to uppercase - no change in behavior. SFC still asks for the Service Pack 2 CD.

I googled around and many people say it's possible files on cd are older because of updates - hence the message: you inserted the wrong cd.

Hey Kelsen,

just found some other threat from you on a different forum offending some member of a foundation!

Do you know that nLite's license explicitly says t is not for buisness or corporation uses?

His answer:

I seriously doubt that a not for profit organisation is gonna fall fowl of nLite's license.

Your answer:

I may get censured for this but I really have to say something:

Thats a very fine moral shield you hide behind there and its bul*****... RVMi has no business clause.

nLite does, but has no provision for "Non-profit" so your fallacy of doing what you want is crap....

nLite License:

5. nLite is free for personal use only, you cannot use it for any company or business purposes at this time.

You like running the show, do you?

Edited by whocares02

What don't like being called on your bs?

???

Also I see no threat in those posts...

Well at time of writing you did - I think you did well:

I may get censured for this but I really have to say something:

Also I am a moderator at Ryanvm.net, A smod for Wincert.net and a Developer here so, no it's not running the show it's doing a job and trying to keep the places I work for and call home running.

Also in the thread you linked to I still helped the guy solve his issue, even if I had a issue with his uses.

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

@whocares,

What you, I, Kel, or anyone else believe about the legality of using any particular piece of software, (or music or video for that matter), is totally irrelevant. What each of us chooses to use on our own machines in the "privacy" and "anonymity" (if such a thing truly exists these days) of our own homes is up to us and is no one else's business. Period. I'm sure Kel would agree with that as well. BUT ... In public, such as on this forum, we feel very strongly about abiding by the rules of wherever we are, and those rules are different depending on where you are. For example, I would assume your behavior in your bedroom with your beloved, or at a football game, or at the local bar, is probably different than when you are at church, unless you go to a very interesting church. :) The same people behaving differently at different places does not make those people "bad" people or hypocrites, it just means they are following the rules of where they are.

Different forums have different rules. Here at MSFN, discussing warez of any kind, or helping anyone resolve problems that concern or are caused by warez, or even if it is proven that warez is in the picture in any way though not directly involved with the issue at hand, is not allowed. This also includes the use of "activators" of any kind to avoid the official activation methods for any software. And it includes the distribution of any software except though officially approved channels. So no sharing a torrent link to a release of any version of MS Windows, even if the MD5 matches the one from Technet and no keys are shared. Hiren's is a problem because of the included MiniXP as you surmised. Yes we know it is referenced in many places, but we don't allow it here. The use of any software in any way that is specifically forbidden in its EULA or terms of use, such as the use of nLite in a business application, non-profit or not, for example, is also not supported. We know all these rules are very strict and some may disagree with them since "everybody else does it", or whatever. Sorry, but those are the rules, and every member that signs up here agrees to them when they sign up. They are not up for debate or discussion. Anyone who disagrees and wants to pursue those kinds of topics is politely asked to do it elsewhere. Those that continue to discuss it here anyway are banned. There are other forums that have different rules, but you'll have to find those other forums on your own.

Problems and installation challenges of a mix of products on a variety of hardware are of interest to many here, and the solutions found can be of benefit to others. If you can pose your questions so that the "forbidden" topics are not mentioned then the discussion can continue. If any problem is specifically caused by the use of some "forbidden" software or one obtained through unapproved channels, then you are on your own to find the solution. We will usually ask about the software involved, and if you disclose that it is one of "those", or if you refuse to say, then be aware that often we will simply tell you to get an officially released copy, try that, and then come back if you still have a problem. Frustrating I know if you truly believe that the particular piece of software is not the issue, but there you are.

Personally, I think that the issues you are discussing in this thread and in http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/171435-allow-lowercase-on-multiboot-dvd/, are interesting and I would love to see the solution that you find that solves all the problems you ran into, if you can do it without mentioning any of the "forbidden" topics, of course. :)

Cheers and Regards

No problem with that. Don't remember mentioning anything legally diffcult after my topic got closed.

Not my fault Kelsenellenelvian now believes

A slightly modified disk from a supermarket isn't legal either...

I of course assume it just is. They sell computers (+software) regularly at specific dates in huge parts of the country. Imagine WalMart in US just would sell illegal XP-copys on some day before christmas, it was just scandalous - same here. So no, I doubt my disk is legally problematic.

As to Hiren's: I use parted-magic-linux instead now - just to calm down everybody. :yes:

Edit:

Oh forgot this:

I cannot find ANY proof of a hotfix changing the CDIDENT files either it doesn't happen.

It's strange for me too. I think...maybe....sfc always asks for the disk when file-versions don't match. It's possible it actually finds the Cd but not newest version of specific files.

As to my disk: I run some non-integratable Updates in RunOnceEx.cmd after XP's main-setup, silently. These updates are:

Windows-KB909520-v1.000-x86

Visual C++ Redistributable 2005

Visual C++ Redistributable 2008

.NET 3.5

WindowsXP-KB923191-x86

WindowsRightsManagementServicesSP2-KB917275

WindowsXP-KB901190-x86

SFU3-KB939778-X86

SFU35-KB939778-X86

IE7-Update KB938127-v2

IE7-Update KB947864

Script-Engine-Update

WindowsMedia6-KB925398-v2-x86

mp10setup.exe

...and a huge dotnet-Updatepack (about 400MB) with all updates for .NET 2, 3, 3.5 and 4. It needs about two hours for installation.

I just got the idea inserting the original cd upon sfc's request to see if it gets accepted. Sorry, up to now I just didn't get that idea.

Edit2:

Yes, the original CD works.

Edited by whocares02

Is it possible nlite didn't work cleanly when removing parts from windows (e.g. unneccesary drivers or features like windows-tour)? Didn't anyone suffered the same problem before? Disabling SFC is pretty hidden in nlite's wizard. It seems re-enabling it after installation isn't done by too many users.

I just downloaded German Service Pack 3.

- fp40ext.in_ (fp40ext.inf) is incorrect (but see below for maybe not)

- ims.in_ (ims.inf) is incorrect

- layout.inf is correct <<-- leave it alone

Whether this is the case for the "original" SP2 Home "DEU" CD I don't know. If so, then it, too, is wrong. My "ENU" one is not wrong (nor is the ENU SP3 Package).

This link (that you gave) has erroneous instructions, as far as the string to change->to is concerned.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/897128/en-us

The string "XP Professional" should be changed everywhere to "XP Home Edition" (where the link says just to "Home"). Oddly, in ENU "Full" SP3 Package, it appears to also have "XP Professional" in the "fp40ext.inf" file (it goes directly into the I386 folder), so I have my doubts that. The other two are in different folders in the SP3 Package and are different between the Home (IC folder) and Professional (IP folder) and should have that string changed only in the "ims.inf" file.

Regarding "ims.inf" cdtag values the should be as follows (near the end of the file):

cdtagfile = "\win51ic"
cdtagfilei = "\win51ic"
cdtagfilem = "\win51mc"

spcdtagfilei = "\win51ic.sp3" <-- in the case of the original CD, its should be "sp2" instead

These will be the values found in the "layout.inf" file and correspond to what you should have in the Root of the CD/DVD.. The original files (when opened with an Editor) will have a value of "Windows" and the integrated one (win51ic.sp3) will have nothing (empty). In other words, for the cdtag values above, change the "p" in the string to "c" (remainder of the strings are exactly the same).

Regarding the "fp40ext.inf" file (for "FrontPage 2000 Server Extensions") my XP Home SP2 has the file(s) in it as well as it being in the SP3 Package (with "Professional" as the string). In other words, why would you need to change it (since it's dropped directly into I386)? And why did the MS Article say to? :unsure:

For the two files above, as far as I can tell, only the "ims.inf" file needs changed and should be recompressed after fixing. The other two (again, as far as I can tell) do not need changed. The fixes described will apply to both the original CD/DVD file (if the values are incorrect) and the Slipstreamed CD/DVD file (which is definitely incorrect).

7-zip will open the compressed filename "ims.in_" and allow extraction. Move that file (after Slipstream) to a temporary folder for modification before extraction then modify as indicated above. There is an "ims.ca_" ("ims.cat") Catalog file as well but it appears to be common beteen Home and Professional and hopefully it won't affect installation with the modified INF file. Sometimes it matters - I don't know in this case. (Checksums, etc?) After modification, rename the "ims.in_" to (e.g.) "imsSAVE.in_" before recompression (see below).

To recompress the modified "ims.inf" to "ims.in_", open a CMD Prompt, change ("CD") to the temporary folder (the full path, e.g.: CD "C:\TEMPMOD"), enter the Drive Letter of the Folder (e.g.: C:) and enter the following:

makecab /D CompressionType=LZX /D CompressionMemory=21 ims.inf

The resulting replacement "ims.in_" should be copied (or moved, whichever) back to the I386 folder before final ISO creation.

Create the ISO (as you wish - I'm out of that subject), test, and burn (if you wish).

That's it, that's all, that's Microsoft for you.

HTH and good luck. I'm done here. :yes:

Edited by submix8c

@whocares02: For me the obvious and easy way to solve your problem is to start with a clean source, that mean grabbing a XP SP3 home German iso (that came originally) from MSDN.

MSDN hashes are public so you can have the assurance the source is clean. Then you can do the nLiting.