Windows XP Countdown Time

Monroe

• 4 years later...

On 3/30/2014 at 11:58 AM, Monroe said:

Nothing really to post ... just making mention of the "historical event" ! ... 10 days and counting.

Found this XP article from March 21st ... from the article below:

WINDOWS XP EXISTING UPDATES

We've talked to Microsoft and it has confirmed that all existing security patches and updates for Windows XP will still be available after support officially ends. This means that after the 8th April 2014, you'll still be able to use Windows Update to download all existing security patches.

This is important, as if you re-install Windows XP, you should still apply all of the existing patches in order to make the base operating system as secure as it should be.

There is a worry that Microsoft will decide at some point to pull the updates from its website or make them harder to get. Don't worry, as the best thing you can do when support ends is to make a custom XP disc with SP3 and all updates pre-applied.

As our instructions in the previous link show you, slipstreaming is a brilliant thing to do. This takes your original XP installation files and bundles together the service pack and updates into it. When you install XP from this disc, it's completely up-to-date with no need to visit Windows Update for anything. Given the situation with XP, this is the best thing that any existing XP user can do.

When Windows XP Support Ends, This is How You Secure Your PC and Save All Updates.

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/software/1304965/when-windows-xp-support-ends-this-is-how-you-secure-your-pc-and-save-all-updates

21 Mar 2014

David Ludlow

It's soon going to be a tough time for a lot of people, as Microsoft is pulling support for Windows XP on 8th April 2014. With no more security updates after that date, the security implications are huge, particularly as this aged OS still commands almost 30 per cent of the desktop market, according to NetMarketShare.

Only Windows 7, with around 47 per cent of the market, sits above Windows XP, with the much maligned Windows 8 taking just shy of seven per cent of the OS cake.

more at the link ...

Might as well add this link also ...

How to slipstream an XP disc with SP3 and all other updates.

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/software/1306762/how-to-slipstream-an-xp-disc-with-sp3-and-all-other-updates

I'd like to point out that today officially marks 5 years since Microsoft dropped support for Windows XP SP3.

It still runs like a champ on my T41 with the 7K60 7200RPM drive!! I'm also using Office 2003 with the 2007 Office System File Format Compatibility Pack (FileFormatConverters.exe).

xpdesktp.bmp

Even with the 5400 RPM HDD and 512 MB of RAM, XP SP3 was solid on my T41. Of course I could have used more RAM but for the older games I ran on it, I never ran into issues.

And not only has it been exactly 5 years to the day since the loss of stock XP support, we are also counting down to the last POSReady 2009 update; one day to go.

And of course, the OS will still be up to date until May 14, when Server 2008 and up get their new security updates.

Those POS machines at my school were still running XP on Friday. I wonder how long they'll take to update.

Edited by win32

How quick we forget ... or at least I did ... I didn't even remember this post from five years ago.

A lot to think about ... I'm still alive and my three ThinkPads I bought in 2010 - a T41 14 in, a T42 14 in and a T42 15 in - are still running Windows XP SP3. The funny thing about all this - in 2010 I still didn't like Windows XP ... I was still a die hard Windows 98SE user. I had some older and slower Pentium 3 notebooks, which were slowly falling apart with the plastic and hinges going bad. I bought the three 'refurbished' ThinkPads to use with Windows 98SE, Windows 2000 and probably Windows XP. They all came with Windows XP installed but that didn't interest me in 2010.

So two years later (May 2012) I finally tried Windows XP again and this time all went well ... I really liked the OS and decided to move on from Windows 98SE and Windows 2000. So 'fast forward' to April 2019 and all is well. For my needs, Windows XP does it all ... and I may also add that my three older ThinkPads still look great and are holding up well, including the 'hinges' !

I updated all of them with a newer CPU (Banias to Pentium M 745 Dothan), larger hard drives, DVD burners and I'm all set for the future or another five years, many more I hope.