Best computer for Windows Me (desktop)

Flasche

I'm thinking about replacing my Custom PC stop and shop computer with a "modern" computer that supports windows Me. I'm looking for a computer in the 2005-8 era for that era seems to my best bet for a very high end 9x computer. What computers (desktop) would you recommend for me to get.

I can only speak from personal experience. So I'll recommend what I used to own.... a Compaq Presario 5000 series model 5423. It came with XP but I downgraded to Me.

http://www.amazon.com/Compaq-Presario-Desktop-Computers-5423US/dp/B00005YWDQ

^I had one of these and it wasn't bad at all. It was faster and better than what I'm using right now... which is a Pentium III.

There are varying reviews on Amazon for the Compaq Presario 5000 5243us model. Some reviewers describe a slower ~600 MHz computer, other describe a 1.6 GHz computer. The one I had was the 1.6 Ghz cpu with 512 MB RAM, and the Nvidiga Geforce 2. It worked like a charm, and those Nvidia Geforce 2mx drivers are easy to find/install for WinMe. I did install a different sound card however.

The RAM is also upgradeable to 1 GB.

Edited by LostInSpace2012

I can only speak from personal experience. Therefore, I would suggest a Compaq Presario 5000 series model 5423.

http://www.amazon.com/Compaq-Presario-Desktop-Computers-5423US/dp/B00005YWDQ

^I had one of these and it wasn't bad at all. It was faster and better than what I'm using right now... which is a Pentium III.

There are varying reviews on Amazon for the Compaq Presario 5000. Some reviewers describe a slower ~600 MHz computer, other describe a 1.7 GHz computer. The one I had was the 1.7 Ghz cpu with 512 MB RAM, and the Nvidiga Geforce 2. It worked like a charm, and those Nvidia Geforce 2 drivers are still compatible with WinMe. I did install a different sound card however.

Is there one with 2.xx GHz computer.

As the owner of 3 Athlon XP (Barton) machines, which I do like a lot, BTW, I think it's wise to avoid the multiple legacy problem:

Since you're already intending to give it Windows ME, I'd recommend you avoid any processors not having SSE2 (and this means no single-core AMD is an option). I'd suggest you go to the highest-frequency single-core Pentium 4 available (say, either an HT 661 or 672, or even a probably much cheaper and easier to find 571) and 2 GiB of RAM onboard, if your aim is to get a real very high end 9x computer.

As the owner of 3 Athlon XP (Barton) machines, which I do like a lot, BTW, I think it's wise to avoid the multiple legacy problem:

Since you're already intending to give it Windows ME, I'd recommend you avoid any processors not having SSE2 (and this means no single-core AMD is an option). I'd suggest you go to the highest-frequency single-core Pentium 4 available (say, either an HT 661 or 672, or even a probably much cheaper and easier to find 571) and 2 GiB of RAM onboard, if your aim is to get a real very high end 9x computer.

Thanks. But I thought there was a GiB limit?

EDIT: Nope I was thinking of something else.

Edited by Flasche

Thanks. But I thought there was a GiB limit?

Yes, there is a max RAM Limitation, but it's not the same value for ME as for the rest of 9x.

[...] If there's anything else I can do (that's freely available) that will get win98 to see more of this memory - let me know.

No, there isn't, sorry! Quouting myself from other posts:

[...] MaxPhysPage=48000 (= 1152 MiB ) is about the highest one can go with Win 9x, while, for Win ME, the highest one can go up to is MaxPhysPage=7CB00 (= 1995 MiB ), but in either case one should increase the MaxPhysPage value by steps, until one gets the "not enough memory" error again, and then lower it a little...

And experience has shown that MaxFileCache=393216 (= 384MiB) is good enough for most users, there's no need to set it to 524288 (= 512MiB).

[...] The ability to deal with 1150 MiB for 98SE vs 1995 MiB for ME is hardcoded in VMM.VxD and the VMM.VxD from ME cannot be coerced to work with 98SE, nor vice-versa.

So, to go beyond that, you *need* RLoew's one-and-only RAM Limitation Patch. [...]

You must add both the MaxPhysPage and MaxFileCache to both SYSTEM.INI and SYSTEM.CB (Usher's Method) to have the ability to boot OK, both normally and in Safe Mode, because 2048 MiB is actually too much, see loblo's (I) machine configuration here.

Now should I try and upgrade my cpu of my current computer, or just get a new computer?

Sorry, I guess I should know it already, but please do tell me: which cpu does your machine currently have?

Now should I try and upgrade my cpu of my current computer, or just get a new computer?

Sorry, I guess I should know it already, but please do tell me: which cpu does your machine currently have?

Mein has the AMD Duron [1600 MHz (12x133)]

TYPO: Some german showed :blushing:

Edited by Flasche

Upgrade. You won't regret it!

TYPO: Some german showed :blushing:

:D

Alright one more thing. My current machine has 1 gig of Ram. Is that more than enough for a windows Me computer of my needs. (heavy web surfer)

I'm thinking about replacing my Custom PC stop and shop computer with a "modern" computer that supports windows Me. I'm looking for a computer in the 2005-8 era for that era seems to my best bet for a very high end 9x computer. What computers (desktop) would you recommend for me to get.

I 'd suggest you build your own socket 939 system supporting AMD Athlon 64, Athlon 64 FX and equivalent Opterons running at up to 2.8Ghz. All those CPUs support SSE2, some support SSE3 too.

Suggested high end motherboard with full 98/ME driver support: Asus A8V Deluxe (VIA chipset)

MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum (nForce3 chipset) might be worth a look too.

Add to that 2GB of RAM (limited to 1995 in system.ini) and nVidia serie 6 or serie 7 GPU with no more than 256MB of VRAM and you'll have a very cool little system for using WinME.

I 'd suggest you build your own socket 939 system supporting AMD Athlon 64, Athlon 64 FX and equivalent Opterons running at up to 2.8Ghz. All those CPUs support SSE2, some support SSE3 too.

Suggested high end motherboard with full 98/ME driver support: Asus A8V Deluxe (VIA chipset)

MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum (nForce3 chipset) might be worth a look too.

Add to that 2GB of RAM (limited to 1995 in system.ini) and nVidia serie 6 or serie 7 GPU with no more than 256MB of VRAM and you'll have a very cool little system for using WinME.

Thanks. The more options the better. Also I'm guessing that if I had 2 Gigs of ram Only 1995 MiB will be useable.