Have you heard of this browser?

JorgeA

I just read about a browser called Aviator, by WhiteHat Security.

Anybody here use it, heard about it, know anything about this browser beyond what's on their website?

It seems to be based on Chromium. Wondering if it really offers as much security/privacy as it appears to promise.

Thanks!

--JorgeA

Windows (Versions 8.1, 8, 7, Vista, 2000, NT, XP and 98)

Claims to support Windows 98, but doesn't. So can we believe any of their claims?

I guess you tried to install it on a Win98 machine?

That would definitely make one dubious about their other claims, if this one is false.

Looking deeper: According to one of the parent company's web pages, the Windows version was released literally less than a week ago as I write this. Maybe the Win98 part is something they're shooting for but haven't achieved yet. Still, that capability should be announced only when actually available.

--JorgeA

Good link.

Blink is implemented on top of an abstract platform and thus cannot be run by itself. The Chromium Content module provides the implementation of this abstract platform required for running Blink

Opera 15 has been much maligned for using the Blink UI.

The Chromium Embedded Framework (CEF) looks interesting, however: Architecture, Downloads

Release build of the cefclient [sample] application for 32-bit Windows using CEF3 version 3.1650.1562. Requires Windows XP SP3 or newer. Jan 12, 2014 17MB

Aviator.msi is ~60MB, by the way. I'll continue trying to get these to run on 98; maybe someone can try them on XP or 7 to see if they're worth the effort? I've also been working with several Chromium portables in recent weeks--I can get them to load in 98, but they crash immediately. Haven't tried Opera 15 yet.

• 3 weeks later...

I have tried to install it on W2k and the installer failed:

"the wizard was interrupted before Aviator could be completely installed".
Has someone else tried, please?
On Xp, I presently use it to write this, so it does browse. Its default settings make sense. But it connects to Whitehat without being asked to (by default, can be adjusted). I find it difficult to make an opinion about its security: settings are fine, but what is in the modded code?

You do not need to try it more - it does not work on any computer and not any way, also if using whatever kind of tricks. It may start after is installed, but this would be usually the last start also.

Anyway, this version is really - not only unfit for use, but it's just not going to work at all.

I read in other forums also - on all sides of the same story. Unable to find any reviews, where no one would have said that for is running. Apparently, even the liars did not bother to write.

You do not need to try it more - it does not work on any computer and not any way, also if using whatever kind of tricks. It may start after is installed, but this would be usually the last start also.

Anyway, this version is really - not only unfit for use, but it's just not going to work at all.

I read in other forums also - on all sides of the same story. Unable to find any reviews, where no one would have said that for is running. Apparently, even the liars did not bother to write.

Did you read message #8 before posting?

Aviator runs on my Win Xp. Repeatedly, if you can read the present message, written thanks to Aviator.

Additional interrogations, apart from not running on W2k:

- Did you have success with CCleaner to empty Aviator's temporary files? I tried CCLeaner v4.12, presently the latest, which doesn't mention Aviator in its search list.

- What is Aviator's list of safety certificates? It feels like North American certification entities are known. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, if it excludes ANSSI, whose key served to sign faked webpages made by a French tax administration.