Setup unable to format partition

Lichwa

Hello everyone,

I have Toshiba laptop with preinstalled Windows 7 on it, and was recently trying to install XP S3 on it instead. I don't know how many hour I have spent on this installation since I always seem to run into new error/problem just after I get rid of previous one. I've managed to add all needed drivers to istallation using nLite and finally everything was running smoothely untill i was asked to format partition so XP can be installed on it, but my problem is that it don't matter if i choose NTFS or NTFS (fast) formatting, it gets stuck right after start with following information:

Setup cannot format the partition Your computer may not have enough memory to perform this operation, or your windows xp cd-rom may contain some corupt files. Setup cannot continue. To quit press f3.

I've tried using advanced option in nLite, Minimal memory requiment, but it didn't change anything.

Also adding:

MsDosInitiated="1"
floppyless="1"

into [Data] section in WINNT.sif file doesn' work either.

Does anyone know possible solution for this situation?

Thanks for your time.

Hello,

I formated USB disk to NTFS and burned prepared ISO into it using program Rufus.

The ISO is made from original Windows XP CD (sadly, I don't have CD Rom in my laptop) and then, using nLite I've "attached" SATA drivers, because before installer didn't even see any HDD. I also had a problem with EULA file which apparently was localized (although I saw this file in folder...) but using unatended installation and adding EulaComplete="1" into [Data] section in WINNT.sif file solved this problem. I've been following some guides around internet but even after doing all according to them, I still got this error.

Edited by Lichwa

I won't be able to offer much support for Rufus and don't think Akeo comes often around, you may try here.

You could prepare the USB disk again with WinSetupFromUSB and try again, links are in my signature.

If that doesn't work, then use unmodified XP SP3 source and try the boot option "auto-setect and use F6 SATA/AHCI driver + Firadisk" to rule out messed up source.

post-117812-0-80333200-1395752234_thumb.

If again no luck, then integrate BTS mass storage driver pack in unmodified source, making sure Text mode option is selected.

What it the exact model of this laptop?

Thank You for reply, my laptop is Toshiba NB250-101. I will try using the software You sugested and post possible results.

Edit 1:

Okay, so apparently using your program fixed this bug (?) and the partition is formating just fine now. I hope there won't be any surprises in installation no more. Will post later.

Edited by Lichwa

I can see two possible different kind of issues:

1. the glitch about the formatting maybe "localized" to a single (marginal) issue and you can workaround it using (say) a PE to pre-partition/format the hard disk
  2. the error message is (strange as it might seem ;)) accurate and actually *somehow*, either through nlite or because "wrong" (no offence intended :)) settings/changes to the source (or even possibly something not entirely "kosher" in the source)

The risk is that if the real condition is #2, sooner or later during the install another issue will happen. :(

If I were you I would try re-attempting it from scratch, using WinsetupFromUSB or another tool and (for the sake of the test) either integrating ONLY the AHCI/SATA driver (and adding to it or removing NOTHING else),

You could even try to not integrate anything and use a F6 floppy image for the AHCI/SATA driver and either Firadisk or WinVblock, like here:

http://www.rmprepusb.com/tutorials/install-xp-from-an-iso

jaclaz

P.S.: Oops, :blushing: sorry, had not refreshed the browser, happy it is already solved :)

Edited by jaclaz

Hello once again,

so apparently using the program You suggested fixed all my problems and Windows installed without any errors at all. For anyone having the same problem, just use WinSetupFromUSB on CLEAN Windows ISO and then burn into USB disk using DPs BASE, attaching whatever drivers you need.

I'm really grateful for your help people! :thumbup

I think the topic may be closed now.