Methods or program for reducing registry size?

Nomen

I remember using KMCS Registry Compressor. (and it worked) :)

Homepage doesn't exist anymore. Webarchive snapshot can be found here.

Good. :)

The actual tool can still be found here:

http://www.pcwelt.de/downloads/KMCS-Registry-Compressor-Pro-4-5-starten-551580.html

the download is actually the "whole" KMCS suite, which includes the Registry Compressor :yes:

jaclaz

After downloading this: http://www.mediafire.com/download/2wx6fb9pscad3zl/RegUtils.7z

Both Winrar and 7-zip are giving me errors while processing RegUtils.7z:

---------------
WinRar is saying this:

Unknown method in RegUtils\RegCon\REGCON!.TXT
Unknown method in RegUtils\RegCon\REGCON.TXT
Unknown method in RegUtils\RegiStrip\REGSTR!P.TXT
Unknown method in RegUtils\RegCon\REGCON.EXE
Unknown method in RegUtils\RegiStrip\REGSTRIP.EXE

In addition to having problems with the above 5 files, 7-zip is also saying this:

Unsupported compression method for RegUtils\Regcon\UNLHA32.DLL
--------------
Uni-extract also has problems with this file. Can someone explain why an abscure compression method that is rarely used to compress files in the Windows world was used for this RegCon software?

Sure, and with me that makes two of us (I downloaded it and re-uploaded it attached to post #8).

I am using 7-zip 9.30 Alpha.

7-zip format is however IMHO the de facto modern standard (modern when compared to PKZIP).

Nomen can you try downloading the attached one to see if behaves the same?

jaclaz

Using WinMD5Free v1.20, I get an MD5 of 644bd3b6d12e3bf89c02316bb7ad9d3b - which is matched to yours. File size is 497,345 bytes.

Winrar (version 3.71, Sept. 20/2007) is not able to unpack that file. Well, it unpacks it, but all files have size of zero bytes.

Winzip (version 18.0, Aug 16/2004) does not recognize it as a format it can unpack.

7-Zip (7zG.exe, version 4.65, 2/3/2009) acts similar to Winrar (generates files of zero length).

Universal Extractor (version 1.6.1, 5/12/2010) is a program that I installed a few months ago, and it also can't unpack that file - but trying just now on several other .zip and .rar files and it also can't unpack those either, so obviously either my version is broken or it's not compable with win-98/kex.

edit:

I just scanned my entire computer and I have a grand total of 12 (twelve) .7z files (and 6 of those are hacked versions of npswf32.dll). I know I have thousands of .zip and .rar files. I must conclude, as I stated previously, that .7z files are "odd-ball" in the windows world. It's my impression that they come from the unix or linux world (or maybe atari or something equally arcane).

The largest of those 12 is mplayer_lite_r35250.7z (9.4 mb) - dated 10/21/2012, and winrar is able to unpack it without errors.

Edited by Nomen

I made it with 7-Zip 9.31 Alpha. You should update your 7-Zip to at least 9.20, there is no reason for using 4.65 as 9.20 runs on stock 98/ME if I am not mistaken. And if I am mistaken, it runs on systems with KernelEx as this is what I am using.

IzArc 4.1.8 (requires KernelEx)

PeaZip (current latest, not sure if it requires KernelEx or not)

Edit: Jaclaz beat me to it. ;)

Edited by loblo

PeaZip (current latest, not sure if it requires KernelEx or not)

Peazip installer requires kernelEx in my experience so I would just use 7-zip. I'm pretty sure your right with the native 9x support for 7 zip too.

Edited by Flasche

as I stated previously, that .7z files are "odd-ball" in the windows world.

Maybe they are odd-ball in your (restricted :ph34r:) "windows world".

JFYI, for years there have been (in the Windows world, not in the Linux/Unix one) two main compression format:

1. the free use/documented ZIP format
  2. the Commercial, proprietary RAR format

RAR format is much more "tight" than the ZIP format.

To create /and decompress) ZIP archives there are tens of free or freeware tools.

To create a RAR file you need a proprietary (licensed) version or Rar or WinRar (while to decompress them there is availabel a freeware UNrar).

7-zip is completely free and freeware and offers:

• ZIP compatibility (both for compressing an decompressing)
  • RAR compatibility (to decompress only)
  • 7z new format which is "tighter" (i.e it results in smaller archives) than RAR and much more so when compared to ZIP

7-zip also opens a number of other nowadays common formats, like the (coming from Linux/Unix) .tar.gz and .bz2 but more than that, also .iso images, hard disk and floppy and superfloppy images .img and - recently - .wim images, and as the title imples "7-zip File Manager" it is also a file manager, optionally offering an almost orthodox dual pane interface. (btw it also decompress the (coming from DOS) .lzh format in which the original Japanese versions of the Registry tools are.

The actual result is:

• Anyone looking for "maximum compatibility" (at the cost of having bigger archives) is using ZIP format.
  • Anyone looking for "maximum compression" and unaware of 7-zip is using WinRAR (having acquired a valid license for it)
  • Anyone looking for "maximum compression" that learned about 7-zip, switched to it, because of the tighter compression and because of the added features, very handy in common use.
  • Anyone really looking for "real maximum compression" is using (if he/she can afford it) WinRK or anyone among several PAQ8 based really "esoteric" or "uncommon" formats, such as nanozip

If you want some reference on the matter, see here

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/165454-winrar-5-wow/

and please :), don't try using Google results (or statistics coming from your machine) about popularity :whistle::

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/158046-menu-selector-for-dos-based-programs-on-same-cd/?p=1008738

However, please find attached Regutils.7z unpacked to Regutils and re-packed (by 7-zip ;)) into Regutils.zip.

jaclaz

RegUtils.zip

Sorry for continuing off-topic, but my blood is boiling. Until jaclaz' last post, Nomem was the only one here showing any sense at all in this matter:

I have both 7-zip 4.62 and 9.20--4.62 is installed/integrated; 9.20 is a SendTo when needed.

4.62 is lighter, more compatible, and usually compresses tighter than 9.20

9.20 is for when silly folks used it to compress by accident (assuming that newer is better?)

Classic Zip will always be the standard for compatibility and its compression is usually more than good enough. I've found my Zip attachments to be slightly more popular by number of downloads than my 7z (v4.62) files.

Anyone who uses an alpha version to create a file for distribution should be apologizing profusely when it can't be opened (not making excuses) and reposting ASAP in a format the intended recipient is known to have access to.

To conclude: please compress 7z files with v4.x, not 9.20, and never with an alpha version. TIA!

Edited by jumper

I am sorry but I am not going to apologize for uploading a 7z file that's perfectly compatible with 7-Zip 9.20, a version that's free for everyone to use, lightweight, causing no known problems and 100% compatible with vanilla 98/ME. ;)

Your whole rant makes very little sense to me and some parts of it none at all. I am not sure what has actually gotten to you here.

Going to 7-zip's SourceForge project page and the discussions, one would see that 7-zip has been in alpha/beta stage for years already. Sadly, 7.31 codebase is the last to work in a Win9x environment, according to the discussion topics.

After tinkering for a a while, I've been able to build the 7-zip plug-in for Total Commander from the old 0.7.2.1 sources, right before it got switched to Unicode only. I used the 7-zip 9.20 sources for building it and had to emulate a few newer API to get it to compile under VC6.

The only compatibility problem I suspect is the LZMA2 compression method, which is not present in older 4.x 7-zip versions (reason why I compiled the new plug-in version, as the old 0.5.5 was also based on 7-zip 4.65).

Therefore using a newer - and perfectly 9x-compatible standalone 7-zip setup - would be preferrable. And a software being in alpha/beta stage isn't necessarily bad or buggy - it may just contain incomplete features.