Textsetup won't accept nlite-DVD

whocares02

OK, safe bet -

1 - Make a folder called (e.g.) WinXP on any paritiion with sufficent space.

2 - Ensure that the HDD that contains the nLite folder has twice that much space available.

3 - Copy the ENTIRE CONTENTS of the XP CD to the WinXP folder.

4 - Have available the FULL Service Pack 3 -and- Post-SP3 updates in a Folder (make one for them).

5 - Run nLite and point to the WinXP Folder as the Source.

6 - Select the Service Pack File on the correct screen

7 - Select the Post-SP3 Updates (NOT the SP3 file) into the correct screen.

8 - Creatte the ISO. -NOTE- nLite creates a CD ISO, not a DVD ISO (AFAICR).

9 - Burn with IMGBURN or test in a Virtual Machine before burning to a CD.

If you want to use a DVD, you'll have to create that independent of the ISO creation.

It seems that ALL Retail (Full or Upgrade) are bootable.

If you're CD (? or is it a DVD) is Retail, it should have the MS Hologram on it, and not have any OEM name on it whatsoever. Compaq was one OEM that supplied a "full" OEM CD, but not actually "retail", but a "slightly modified" System Builder OEM version.

edit - also do this before you begin the above -

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/65210-folder-options/

Here is a resource to get the SP3 and Updates -

http://xdot.tk/updates.html

Sample nLite Screenshots -

http://xdot.tk/nliteimages.html

Edited by submix8c

Thank you, submix8c. I consider doing it this way. However,

Point 8

Creatte the ISO. -NOTE- nLite creates a CD ISO, not a DVD ISO (AFAICR).

seems important to me. My Disk of course is a CD. My output-iso shall be burned onto a DVD. It's too large in size, since I added so much software. I get a file with about 3.5GB in size, after nlite finishes. I thought target won't matter (CD or DVD).

If you want to use a DVD, you'll have to create that independent of the ISO creation.

Do you have some link, with a howto? Just tried google - can't find anything related to iso conversion for dvd.

Edited by whocares02

IMGBURN will create a DVD Image and/or burn a Built DVD from folders.

http://www.imgburn.com/?act=screenshots

Your nLited "output" will be within the nLite folder.

Get IMGBURN and look it over.

This tutorial will tell what to fill in -

http://old.bink.nu/xpbootcd/

Note that it uses a different "burning" software but the values and concept are the same. You'll need to get the Boot Sector file as well as using IMGBURN. Save it "somewhere" and point to it when using IMGBURN. Under IMGBURN (using "Mode: Build" - see screenshots) "Options" set the DVD Output to be Mode1/2048, ISO9660+Joliet, Recurse Subfolders, and Include Hidden/System Files. "Advanced->Bootable Disc" is where you select the Boot Sector Image. Under "Media" (SELECT THIS BEFORE OTHER OPTIONS to recognize that it's to be a DVD) select the type of DVD Media you are using.

Edited by submix8c

Thanks.

I just compiled a new iso with nlite and the mkisofs-option. Seems the root-folder is filled with files now. I'll test the new image with nlite and will try your attempt if the new iso fails again.

New Image - same error-message as with my previously done manual method:

STOP c0000221 Unknown Hard Error \Systemroot\System32\ntdll.dll

Oh no - I really was about to avoid the manual boot-image extraction/copy-process. Are you sure this will even work? Extracting a boot-record from CD to put it on a DVD? Isn't there something diefferent with disc-geometry etc...? I usually use ultraiso for thinks like this.

My first trial with imgburn (yes, I found the builtin bootsector-backup-function) was not successfull:

Couldn't find NTLDR

Propably something with the settings/restrictions. I chose ISO-Level2 (32 chars) and Joliet-Level1(64-chars). datatype and filesystem is as you said: mode1/2048 and iso9660+joliet. I also did allow more than 8 directories and more than 255 chars in path, as well as files without extensions.

I got two warning messages with imgburn, because it detects the i386-folder:

First one says I'd better use iso 9660 only. Second one wants modify the charset to DOS or the Joliet-Level to JolietX.

I try allowing the second modifications to be done and will try again.

I created two images with imgburn. One with only the second request confirmed. Another one with both requests confirmed. In both cases I get this message again, when trying to install XP in virtualbox:

STOP c0000221 Unknown Hard Error\Systemroot\System32\ntdll.dll

However, I finally get bootable images with imgburn, containing the disc-ident-files. Could it be a problem with virtualbox? Can something like this getting caused by a faulty driver? I injected every driver I could find to make the disk usable on several computers.

Edit:

I bet it's some faulty hotfix. I integrated over 200. Impossible to say which one replaces ntdll.dll. Last thing I'll try: overwriting ntdll.dll in the iso with the original from the xp-cd - just for fun. It might mess up the patched system with the old version.

Also, I already copied the XP-CD a second time in low-speed to a new iso-image on disk to mount on the next run I might do with nlite tomorrow.

Edit2:

Just finished my little test: A replaced ntdll.dll makes no difference. However, it seems the file indeed got replaced by a newer version during hotfix-integration.

XP-SP2-CD: 717KB, 2004-08-04, 13:00:00
nlite-iso: 724KB, 2009-02-09, 10:00:58

Edited by whocares02

Creatte the ISO. -NOTE- nLite creates a CD ISO, not a DVD ISO (AFAICR).

seems important to me. My Disk of course is a CD. My output-iso shall be burned onto a DVD. It's too large in size, since I added so much software. I get a file with about 3.5GB in size, after nlite finishes. I thought target won't matter (CD or DVD).

I injected every driver I could find to make the disk usable on several computers.

I bet it's some faulty hotfix. I integrated over 200.

I'm thinking it might be something in the "so much software", "every driver I could find", or "some faulty hotfix" that you are adding that is messing things up. At a minimum I would try only adding SP3, the hotfixes, and ONLY the drivers that apply to your system and see if that produces a successful build. If not, you could even try just SP3 and the drivers for your system. Both of those options should produce an image that would fit on a CD. I know neither of those options will produce the image that you want to end up with, but if you can build a successful image with either of those options then at least that would verify that your source, nLite, and general building methods are all valid. Then you can start adding things a little bit at a time until it no longer works so you can figure out what is really the problem.

Cheers and Regards

200 hotfixes? For what? XP???

I specifically said Integrate SP3 -and- the POST-SP3 Hotfixes (roughly 130).
I gave a link to get SP3 and the Hotfixes.
I gave a link to a "sample" of how-to, which had a link to the Boot File.
MKISOFS Option is to create an ISO, of which I specifically stated is UNNECESSARY if you're making a DVD.
I gave a link to the IMGBURN screens. DID you use the Options I gave?
The "sample" of how-to (EZ-CD Creator) has the necessary CORRESPONDING parameters for IMGBURN.
--It's UNNECESSARY to "extract" the Boot File as the link I gave HAS it (in a link)!
--IF you used the MKISOFS Option, you already HAVE The Boot File embedded (nLite does that)
I said copy the CONTENTS of your CD, not create an ISO! But, whatever floats your boat (same as if you just read the CD, but NOW you have to MOUNT it!)
--BUT see "Tip" below...

The "Integrated" FILES (after running nLite) are within an nLite Sub-FOLDER, but the Boot File is NOT, hence my suggestion that IF you manually Burn the Files then you NEED to get the one at the link. The ISO file made by nLite is made DIRECTLY from THAT FOLDER'S CONTENTS. If you don't want to use the Boot File at that link (the actual XP Image) then the one in nLite may be used (if you Manually make the DVD, outside of MKISOFS).

Please re-read and think about this. If you won't follow instructions, I can't help you. Not rocket science and -does- work! I'm overloading you with "options" when the EASY way is just to follow the "basic" instructions.

P.S. - You do NOT want to use UDF FileSystem for the DVD/DVD-ISO-Image.

Tip - if you insist on making a CD-ISO with the MKISOFS Option, fine. Just Take a look at this -

http://science.opposingviews.com/convert-cd-iso-dvd-iso-5637.html
Question - What's up with an nLite ISO dated "2009-02-09". Isn't today March 22/23 2014? Relevance?
Comment - We have no clue about that "extra software" you mention that will cause a DVD to be filled. DotNet (etc) perhaps? Post-Install stuff? See this for some good info -
http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/

edit - Yes, an ISO is an ISO, just unsure if IMGBURN would "ignore" the difference between CD-ISO and DVD-Media (mainly size). Bearing in mind that UDF FileSystem is not (AFAIK) a Bootable Filesystem.

Edited by submix8c

submix, you don't seem to read what I write. The extracted boot-image IS working and I DID use imgburn. I also described the options I chose, please just read it. The iso is bootable now but the setup is crashing. Don't you think it's better using the original-boot-record instead of some downloaded one?! Already the language difference could cause trouble. My XP is german, your linked page is in english. I bet the downloadable boot-record is from an english XP-CD.

I said copy the CONTENTS of your CD, not create an ISO! But, whatever floats your boat (same as if you just read the CD, but NOW you have to MOUNT it!)--BUT see "Tip" below...

I know what you wrote but it makes no difference if the files get copied from disk or from a mountpoint. Using a burning software to read from disk should be more reliable though (in case of scratches on CD).

I'll make a new integration with nlite and a fresh CD today, as suggested here.

I will repeat what I said before, and that bhplt expanded in detail :yes:: try with LESS things added/integrated, first.

There may be on a DVD a known issue about it's size.

Basically a number of files in the"early" booting part may not be able to "reach" beyond a given LBA address.

You may want to check the actual build.

See:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=20248

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=16802

but the errors I have seen related to this are different. :(

The STOP: 0xC0000221 unknown hard error seems more connected to a corrupted file:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/101096/en-us

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314474/en-us

but with Windows errors you never really know ;).

I personally DO NOT suggest to use IMGBURN to "burn from folder", ONLY to burn from .iso to physical CD/DVD, an install CD/DVD .iso should - in my perverted mind - be built by mkisofs (or oscdimage) ONLY, and with the "proper" settings", I seem to understand that you changed these settings for mkisofs? :unsure:

Just in case "good" set of settings is the following:

mkisofs -v -iso-level 4 -l -D -d -J -joliet-long -volid "XPSP3" -A XPSP3/MKISOFS -sysid "Win32" -b bootsect.bin -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -hide boot.catalog -hide bootsect.bin -allow-multidot -o .\whatever\XPSP3.iso ROOT

or:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=20248&st=0&p=136024entry136024

Optionally one could use a "pe_sort.txt", if the issue about "high" LBA is confirmed.

See:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=8053

jaclaz

Well, I'll go along with your recommendation jaclaz (re: burning from the Folder). HOWEVER, please note that the OP is creating a DVD as noted in post #17

It's too large in size, since I added so much software.

hence my off-the-cuff suggestion. IOW, use the nLite "post-integrated" folder to burn -OR- create an ISO (then burn the ISO) with IMGBURN -after- copying (?) said "software" into "wherever". Bear in mind, the OP isn't saying how said "softare" is to be installed. Could it be using cmdlines.txt or "other"? Who knows? Nonetheless, a DVD with fully integrated XP plus Software is the end-game, correct? :unsure:

As for the Boot Record, fine - use the one directly from the CD. AFAICR, the nLite Boot Image is a Windows 2000 extraction and the XP one hasn't changed from RTM->SP1->SP2->SP3, so is a moot point. Also note that the Language is totally irrelevant, noting that nLite uses the EXACT SAME BOOT.BIN regardless - note that it supports other than just English (look in the LANG folder) :whistle: . So, you lose the bet. :w00t:

Now, as for COPYING to a folder, let's say the extracted ISO was successful but the CONTENTS of it were "broken". The proof of the CONTENTS is the ability to copy directly from the physical CD to a folder. Did you use IMGBURN to make the ISO Image?

And YES, there could also be a "glitch" in the location of the files - I DID say there's a difference between CD and DVD, right? Please note the first link jaclaz gave (above 4gb) and YOUR statement

I get a file with about 3.5GB in size, after nlite finishes.

Less than 4GB. ;) I believe/concur that your SOURCE has something wrong with it, hence COPY the darn thing. If it reads, then -chances are- you have a good SOURCE on the HDD to start with. :thumbup

Adding single steps by recommendation (from any EXAMPLES) and NOT adding single steps that are NOT recommended is what we are trying to get you to understand. Trust us (mostly) to provide accurate information and instructions since we HAVE already been down all of these roads... or not. Your choice. :yes:

...and if you REALLY want the "proof of concept" I'll repeat TO THE LETTER the method to create a GOOD CD/DVD ISO or Physical Media and test it, although all I'll be doing is repeating what I've (and others) done before. :blink: Note that I the ONLY difference would be LANGUAGE. AND now, can we -also- know that your SOURCE XP CD is ALSO German! (Finally, after dragging stuff out...)

The next "run" you make, please give a Point-By-Point list of the -exact- procedure you used so we may better assist in "what's going wrong". You have been vague on many points.

Edited by submix8c

It works! Just finished my attempt with a new copy of the orig-CD. The old iso was 714.726 kb in Size, the new one is 715.026KB.

After nlite really did integrate almost everything this time (after session-import I cleared the whole hotfix-list and added everything again), the standard iso-compiling-engine did fail again (root-directory empty). I switched to mkisofs...and now everything works!

Textsetup is at 60% now and running...

wait...one file is missing: version.dat

I hope this one was not important. Textsetup just finishes with 100%. Maybe I really should try the folder-copy method next time.

Anyway, thank you very much, both of you. I don't think I suffer the LBA-problem. In the linked threat they say something about a 4GB-limit. My iso is far below that.

For the second XP-iso I used infrarecorder. Unlike nero it has an option "ignore read-errors" - of course i did UNCHECK it. I expected some error-correction/re-read on error might be applied then.

Regarding to additional software: I used both methods: nlite-Addon-maker and RunOnceEx.cmd. Hope at the end of setup RunOnceEx will work as expected. However, it didn't seem related to my problem so I didn't mention it before.

This is what you stated in Post#1

XP Home Edition Service Pack 2

JFYI, "version.dat" sounds a lot like an OEM CD, supplied by the OEM Manufacturer. The Volume Label of your CD should (generally) be one of the following:

VRMHFPP = Full

VRMHCCP = Upgrade

VRMHOEM = System Builder OEM

...with a "_xx" of something appended indicating the Language (e.g. "_EN").

Going back to my Post #13, you responded with

this is indeed a Retail-CD shipped with my notebook. SP2 is already included

at Post#15 (partial quote). Trust me, even though you SAY it's "Retail", how do you know? Any Volume Label OTHER than above is an OEM "altered" CD (see next link for COA's, which you said you had).

I can't seem to find the link to the CD Image, but here is the COA images (archived) -

http://web.archive.org/web/20081015211434/http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Note that this info has been "scrubbed" from the current MS site (or at least I can't find it). All that shows is Windows 8, so I got the Archive link above...

Please note that IF that file is part of an OEM-Altered Source CD, then theoretically it shouldn't matter. Can you provide a Directory Listing of the CD or at least confirm your COA? Something doesn't sound right (you're confused and are confusing us). :unsure:

Edited by submix8c

Sorry, this was a translation-mistake. It is indeed an OEM-CD and not a retail-CD. Just looked up the meaning of "retail" in a dictionary. :} As I wrote as well, the disk was shipped with my notebook. Thing is, there is no OEM-folder present on the disk. Also, no additional software gets installed during windows-setup. On your linked page, the second badge from the top, reading "Large Manufacturer Pre-installed Windows COAs" is the certificate for my CD.

Look on the screenshot I attached. It shows the root-folder of the disk.

post-390386-0-15614900-1395690416_thumb.

Edited by whocares02