Textsetup won't accept nlite-DVD

whocares02

Hello forum,

after days of trial 'n error with nlite, I am close to just give up. I am trying to integrate all Hotfixes into XP-SP2 before microsoft removes them on april 2014. However, everytime I test my new DVD, the XP-textsetup tells me:

"Please insert Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2-CD into drive A:"

(really, it reads drive A:)

this happens before the file-copy-process, directly after the F6-screen (press F6 to apply SCSI or Raid-drivers).

I tried shrinking the DVD

I removed some unneccesary txt-drivers (there a still several left though)

I deactivated windows file protection

I tried integrating hotfixes in a different order

Still, the text-setup just won't recognize the DVD. I'm close to give up. Somebody please help.

I'm using nlite 1.9.3. For testing I use virtualbox 4.1.26 r84997. The ini-file is attached.

In nlite IE7-integration didn't work - as well as 5 or 6 other hotfixes. I think it's msxml4 and msxml6 not getting included.

XP-SP2-Silent.ini

Edited by whocares02

After reading this threat, I opened my nlite-iso-file and discovered that the root-folder carries no files at all. Strange thing. Could it be a bug in nlite? I'll try adding them manually to the iso. I will post here after testing with virtualbox. Hope nothing else is missing.

Adding the files manually did help. However, after loading the files, textsetup crashes in a BSOD reading:

STOP c0000221 Unknown Hard Error \Systemroot\System32\ntdll.dll

I guess there are more files missing but the files in the root-folder. Seems I'm suffering some bug in nlite.

Edited by whocares02

I'll try adding them manually to the iso. I will post here after testing with virtualbox. Hope nothing else is missing.

NO. :(

Meaning that a number of so-called ISO editing tools may botch a "delicate" .iso such as the Windows install one.

The idea is to create the .iso "properly" and only once and then leave it alone.

Mind you, this does not mean that the whatever ISO editor you used necessarily did that, only that editing a bootable Windows .iso is re-known to cause issues.

Using a .iso editor with bootable Windows discs is a sort of shortcut that usually resolves as being longer than the "main road". ;)

Additionally the actual CD burner software that you used to burn the .iso 8if you have burned it to actual physical disc) may have created a coaster.

The usual recommendation is to use IMGBURN (and nothing else) as it has proved to be very reliable, example:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=24562

What you should do is to start from fresh, add/integrate through nlite just one or two things, and test the resulting .iso (without doing ANY manual modification to anything).

This way we are sure that the source and that the building procedure is valid.

Then, once it hopefully works, re-do still from the original source adding (or removing) more things.

jaclaz

Thank you. I know that. As I described already, I reintegrated all the stuff with nlite several times and it's everytime VERY time-consuming deleting the CD-folder, let nlite copy the XP-CD, reimporting all the hotfixes, hoping nothing will fail and waiting until iso-compilation is done. I've done it 6 or 7 times now. Obviously there is a bug in nlite because the final ISO is just missing files.

I didn't touch anything up to now. Now I did it, textsetup DOES recognize the CD but crashes in the next step. I'm sure there are still other files missing. If I remember right nlite has an option to switch the ISO-compilation-engine. Maybe I should try this, on the next run. Is there a way to skip all the nlite-steps and just process the iso-creation of the final folder? It's so annoying starting from scratch everytime.

Thanks for the tip with imageburn. I indeed got trouble with nero and just use a portable HDD now to mount the whole iso-file in virtualbox.

Obviously there is a bug in nlite because the final ISO is just missing files.

It must then be a coincidence that that same program worked for everyone (we are talking of tens if not hundreds of thousands users) since several years, exclusively to "tweak" a 2K or XP source and noone experienced that same bug. :unsure:

jaclaz

That was indeed a strange thing. Are you sure you know all the hundred of thousands users-experiences? Actually I hoped finding someone here who knows about my problem. MSFN is the best address for nlite-related questions! Up to now I always found solutions to my problems here. Never had to post a threat myself though. Only this time the forum-search couldn't help me. Hence my threat.

I don't even know how to reproduce the problem. Just can say that there are files missing in the final iso. I attached the .ini-file already. Someone has a clue what elese I could try to track down the problem?

Edited by whocares02

Methinks this isn't a "pristine" source (an actual XP CD - NOT DVD).

Have you read the FAQ? http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/158294-nlite-officialunofficial-faq/

Have you read the Reference Guide?

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/143271-nlite-reference-guide/

If this is one of those Dell/HP/other Restore (Recovery?) disks, you may have a problem. I've not seen a non-OEM XP disk that lacked the Root files. The only other thing (my not having one) could be that it's an Upgrade CD? I DO have a Dell XP MCE disk that has "additional" files on a DVD.

Edited by submix8c

Mmmmm...this is indeed a Retail-CD shipped with my notebook. SP2 is already included, as well as the serial-number. However, there is no additional software on the disk. I used it with nlite in the past years, a couple of times.

Also, it seems to get copied on hdd correctly. In my nlite Temp-Folder, the root-folder DOES hold the cd-ident-files. So it's really nlite not including them into the image. I'm afraid to say that I have no other "clean" XP-CD from microsoft. In the past it worked fine with nlite.