9x Windows bootdisk for modern hardware

Jalmari

Hi! I'm pretty new here, so i don't know if there's been topic about this.

I have been thinking of modding windows 98, 98se or 95 to work on modern hardware and making an actual boot/installation disk for it.

There's mods for 9x windows to run on 4gb of ram, clock speed over 2.1 ghz without a divide by zero and some more stuff already done.

I'm not a great programmer, I just wanted to share the idea. Do you guys think this could work?

dencorso's signature would definitely help with you getting started with RAM issues and hard drive issues. There is a way to fix the Win95 2.1GHz issue by following the link as well. If you have any specific hardware issues when you're ready to start an actual project and while working on one, let us know and we'll be here to help.

And welcome to MSFN!

Of course, a DOS boot floppy (or floppy image) may be needed, capable of getting a SATA CD/DVD going with a DOS driver:
GCDROM.SYS + SHSUCDX.COM are the usual best choice, but there is also AHCI.SYS (findable inside sp39596.exe), as an alternative to GCDROM.SYS, and, of course, MSCDEX.EXE may be used, instead of SHSUCDX.COM. In any case, GCDROM.SYS should be the driver to be used, because Win 9x/ME cannot run SATA in AHCI mode, but I've added here the info about AHCI.SYS (distributed by HP but created by Intel, AFAIK), just in case someone needs to boot DOS from a machine having a SATA CD/DVD/BD in AHCI mode (which is common today). Alternate, direct download link for sp39596.exe, which contents can be extracted with the Universal Extractor. Some more info and an enlightening brief description of AHCI over at DOS_ain't_Dead.

SataDosBoot_MWP.pdf

Hi! I'm pretty new here, so i don't know if there's been topic about this.

I have been thinking of modding windows 98, 98se or 95 to work on modern hardware and making an actual boot/installation disk for it.

There's mods for 9x windows to run on 4gb of ram, clock speed over 2.1 ghz without a divide by zero and some more stuff already done.

I'm not a great programmer, I just wanted to share the idea. Do you guys think this could work?

Can you make the driver for my gts 250 xD?