Chrome on Me

Flasche

I was searching around on youtube and bumped into this interesting little video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuDTFxLFJN4

WHOA! Google Chrome actually working on this Windows ME installation. I used KernelEX and installed Windows ME USP2 and copied some XP dlls to ME to make Chrome work. It's usable, but is extremely slow and freezes often. I had to download Chrome on oldapps.com because the downloader wouldn't work on ME no matter what. I had to extract the contents of the installer to fix some parts to make it compatible with Windows ME. If you wanna try this, good luck. I've been working on this for 2 months.

Imagine the potential of this. Sure it was slow, but the just imagine what a tweaking can do. (Not my video) Edited by Flasche

WOW!! This is pretty awesome indeed. I wonder if Windows 98SE as well. As for internet browsing, it seems just about any web browser is slow on the 9x kernel. Dencorso said that he uses his Windows XP machine for internet browsing needs. I've tried Firefox, Pale Moon, and Opera and all of them are slow on 9x. Either which way though, this is pretty darn good. And anyone who asks why you'd want to use Chrome on Windows Me when you should 'upgrade Windows!!!' can be quiet. lol

WOW!! This is pretty awesome indeed. I wonder if Windows 98SE as well. As for internet browsing, it seems just about any web browser is slow on the 9x kernel. Dencorso said that he uses his Windows XP machine for internet browsing needs. I've tried Firefox, Pale Moon, and Opera and all of them are slow on 9x. Either which way though, this is pretty darn good. And anyone who asks why you'd want to use Chrome on Windows Me when you should 'upgrade Windows!!!' can be quiet. lol

Opera isnt slow for me, but anyway yes I find this amazing, and I pmed the person who made the video to get more info on what he did to install it. Personally though I would like to find the chromium version of chrome he used for open source reasons. I wounder if you can install the new chrome updates on the modified chrome version. I cant wait for his answer.

That's pretty slick. The Chromium builds are here:

http://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/chromium-browser-snapshots/index.html?path=Win/

I don't know what or why, but the page seems to be running a script and takes a while to render. Inside each directory there is a 'chrome-win32.zip' file, that's probably what you want instead of messing with the mini-installer.

Yes, it should. Install KernelEx, and 98 unofficial SP 3.,Then copy the XP DLLs to Windows 98SE. I don't imagine it will be really fast, but it should be better than 98SE because 98SE is a bit faster/more stable than ME. The only reason for not using 98 is security. The only compatible modern AV is Clamwin, but that doesn't have automatic scanning.Also, if someone succeeds in getting Chrome working, I think they should upload it because there are so many 98/ME users here.

Edited by ironman14

more stable than ME

:o I'd beg to differ

The only compatible modern AV is Clamwin, but that doesn't have automatic scanning.

You should check out this http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/171240-the-updated-mini-list-of-win98me-software/ . There are a list of antivirus programs some that still are updated and some not. Also I would look at clam sentinel if you use clamwin. It gives clamwin a heuristic scanning, and a real-time scanner.

Also, if someone succeeds in getting Chrome working, I think they should upload it because there are so many 98/ME users here.

Yes that it would be amazing. As I stated, I contacted the YouTube account, and awaiting his answer for a more in depth answer on what he did.

more stable than ME

:o I'd beg to differ.

I have heard that ME is very unstable, since it combined some new NT elements over DOS,and it has been criticized as one of the worst tech products ever. However, I have never used it myself, and don't have needs for DOS, so it could be good on top of that. Besides Win 3.1, ME is the only Windows I don't use/ have never used. I didn't even use it back in the day. When ME came out, I was just a year old. I could try it, and see for myself. Do you think I should?

As for the AV, I will see my options.

Edited by ironman14

more stable than ME

:o I'd beg to differ.
I have heard that ME is very unstable, since it combined some new NT elements over DOS,and it has been criticized as one of the worst tech products ever. However, I have never used it myself, and don't have needs for DOS, so it could be good on top of that. Besides Win 3.1, ME is the only Windows I don't use/ have never used. I didn't even use it back in the day. When ME came out, I was just a year old. I could try it, and see for myself. Do you think I should?

As for the AV, I will see my options.

Yes you should. I recommend that you immediately after install to upgrade ie to 6 or 5.5 sp2. There is a Me service pack around here somewhere that will install the important updates.

After looking around in the comments for some more info I found this little things that you would like Tommy

I have already tried getting Chrome to run on a fully updated 95 OSR2, and it won't work. It only works with 98 SE/ME with KX with USP and some XP DLLS.

Tommy, don't you have 2000 with UURollup as well? 98/ME + KernelEx is still usable on the modern web, but you could use 2000+UURollup and use all the modern browsers there.

Hey ironman, I do have Windows 2000 plus UURollup! The Windows 98 machine I'm using is actually different from my main computer. My main computer runs Windows 2000. The Windows 98 machine is in my bedroom. I custom built both myself actually. Windows 98 has a AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ processor in it and I have 1 gig of RAM. I have a fast cable internet connection as well but it doesn't seem like page load it all that slow, it almost feels like the browser itself slows it down. It feels shaky if you know what I mean. I do have the KernelEx installed plus the latest USP 3 as well. It might even be the actual machine since I only have one IDE channel on it and both are in use by the CD drive and hard drive. I thought about trying the SATA drive and sticking it in compatibility mode but dencorso advised me not to do so, but I might just try anyway since it's just a matter of switching drives. I mean it can't hurt anything to try anyway. As of right now, I'm using the latest Pale Moon browser on Windows 2000 and I like it. It seems a bit snappier than FireFox does.

@Flasche: I'm not sure why Opera is slow for me but as I said, it feels like the browser itself is slow, not anything to do with page load. But as I was describing to dencorso a few days ago via private message, it seems that loading affects Flash. If I load a movie on YouTube and pause it until it fully loads, it works just fine. But if I play it while it downloads the rest in the background, it's choppy and laggy. So I'm wondering if there's something else going on that makes it feel like a stick in the mud. As I said, I might just try installing it on my SATA drive and run it in compatibility mode, just to see what happens. It can't hurt anything to try.

@Flasche: I'm not sure why Opera is slow for me but as I said, it feels like the browser itself is slow, not anything to do with page load. But as I was describing to dencorso a few days ago via private message, it seems that loading affects Flash. If I load a movie on YouTube and pause it until it fully loads, it works just fine. But if I play it while it downloads the rest in the background, it's choppy and laggy. So I'm wondering if there's something else going on that makes it feel like a stick in the mud. As I said, I might just try installing it on my SATA drive and run it in compatibility mode, just to see what happens. It can't hurt anything to try.

You could try this Ram Idle http://www.321download.com/LastFreeware/page4.html . I'm currently downloading it now for it seems promising.

RAM Idle is a free memory management program that is designed for Windows (95/98/2000/Me). With an easy to use interface, RAM Idle enables your applications to load faster and more responsively by making more physical memory available for the system. Use it to free up a selected amount of physical memory when the minimum level is reached. You can also use it to free up a selected amount of physical memory at a regular interval, and free up the physical memory manually as needed. When you run RAM Idle for the first time, it will find and define the recommended levels for your system. However you may need to define these manually to find the best combination that will give you the best performance for your system. The program includes various additional features, such as the ability to display free memory in the try icon, show the percentage of free RAM and page file, automatically start with Windows, and ability to free up amount of RAM manually from the popup menu. --- 321download

Also have you tried google chromium on windows 2000. Google chromium was the fastest browser I have ever used. Its faster than google chrome. Also its open source. The only issue is that you cant auto update, but I find that a feature. Updates can be found here if your interested http://chromium.woolyss.com/

Edited by Flasche

Hmm, I'm not convinced. Here's why:

• The tooltip for Windows Update at 1:24. The shortcut I have on my Windows Me computer doesn't have that description, it just says Location: C:\WINDOWS. However, Windows XP does have that description in its tooltip.
  • The My Computer folder at 1:45 has the grouping of XP.
  • The description for the disc drive is "DVD Drive". On mine (with a DVD-ROM drive) it says "Compact Disc".
  • The icon for IE belongs to either 4, 5 or 5.5. But "Lock the Toolbars" functionality didn't come to 98/Me until IE6. The toolbars are clearly locked at 1:45 as there is no handle to the left of File or the Back button.

For these reasons I think that it's either a good theme applied to XP, Me's shell on XP, or so much of Me is replaced by XP that it's not really Me anymore.