Building install from recover cd?

dvdljns

I have a netbook 210-1000 and bought the recovery cd for it. Boot the cd won't work and hp wants $100 dollars for support. I can uncompress the wim files but can I use nlite to build a install cd. I mean all the os is there right? all the drivers is right and I can keep the hp software. anyone know if this will work?

Edited by dvdljns

Duplicated Topic

here - http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/171293-building-install-from-recover-cd/

and here - http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/171294-building-install-from-recover-cd/

...In which you say "Why can't I post"? Try "refreshing" your screen.

---DOH! Someone noticed - "cleaned" the others to la-la land...

We may as well stick with this one.

What do you mean "does not work"? That really doesn't say too much.

We need DETAILS -

What is the EXACT Model of Netbook?

What does it do EXACTLY when you attempt to boot from it?

Do you get ANY messages displayed?

Crystal balls are broken - I'm very old.

edit - nLite is NOT for Windows 7 and what YOU have is a "recovery dvd", which is a world different than an official MS dvd.

edit2 - ...and your text in this first post isn't the same as the original topic you posted.

Edited by submix8c

I tried to post and got error saying [you don't have permission to do that] so I just deleted the text and typed in why can't I post and hit post. kk let me give you background on my problem. I bought a hp mini that comes with xp home sp3. 2 weeks ago I bought a hp recovery disk [xp version] the first disk runs and tells me to insert second disk. but when I do it keeps telling me there is no disk in drive to insert disk 2. since this model comes with win 7 ultimate I ordered that hoping it would work. it loads everything then fails because the eeprom is non windows 7. Research indicates that the install for the recovery could be changed to not check for os version but I don.t know how. I loaded my daughters retail win 7 but I would not activate that just used for test then removed. The xp is fine but want the hp oem. I f I can get either loaded hp claims there recovery creator will make useable recovery disk/partition to recover from. or I can use the backup program I have to make good factory restore disks. But either way I need it loaded first. I know it is not the same as retail but if all the files or there can I make it work?

I bought a hp mini that comes with xp home sp3 (1). 2 weeks ago I bought a hp recovery disk (2) [xp version] the first disk (3) runs and tells me to insert second disk (4). but when I do it keeps telling me there is no disk in drive to insert disk 2. since this model comes with win 7 ultimate (5) I ordered that hoping it would work. it loads everything then fails because the eeprom is non windows 7 (6). Research indicates that the install for the recovery could be changed to not check for os version but I don.t know how. I loaded my daughters retail win 7 (7) but I would not activate that just used for test then removed. The xp is fine but want the hp oem (8). I f I can get either loaded hp claims there recovery creator will make useable recovery disk/partition to recover from. or I can use the backup program I have to make good factory restore disks. But either way I need it loaded first. I know it is not the same as retail but if all the files or there can I make it work?

WOW! Your post is all over the place. I am really confused and can't follow what you are talking about. Referring to the numbers I added to your post in the quote above:

1) OK, you have XP Home SP3. Is it, was it, running correctly?

2) Why did you buy a recovery disc? Was there a problem? What exact recovery disc did you buy, and from where, and why did you not buy the XP Home SP3 version?

3) and 4) For a XP recovery disc to have two discs, I assume you bought the XP Media Center version? I'm not familiar with the way that HP supplies their recovery discs, so I could be wrong about this. If so, why are you trying to change versions? I'm not sure you can do it the way you seem to be trying to do.

5) I thought we were talking about XP?

6) I have no idea what this means. Why do you think this is true? by "EEPROM", do you mean BIOS? I'm not aware of a situation where the BIOS is either Windows 7 or non Windows 7?

7) Again, I thought we were talking about XP?

8) WHICH XP is "fine", and what "HP OEM" are you talking about? So is the "XP Home SP3" still installed on this machine and running correctly?

And we need the info submix8c asked for:

We need DETAILS -

What is the EXACT Model of Netbook?

What does it do EXACTLY when you attempt to boot from it?

Do you get ANY messages displayed?

So is this your PC? - http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualCategory?product=4075983&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en

What HP software are you talking about? Do you have the drivers on a disc, or do you just mean all the hardware is working so the drivers must be OK on the installed system?

... all the drivers is right and I can keep the hp software.

We need a LOT of clarification. Your last post actually made things worse and more confusing, at least to me.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

no my post was not all over the place.

1] my comp was working fine till I messed up the partitions.

2] I bought the recovery disks to do a factory restore.

3 and 4] every hp recovery set I have ever seen is either 2 or 3 disks. and no I did not buy the media center edition. not trying to change the os, just hoped when the xp disk did not work that the win 7 would.

5] I guess now we are talking about both?

6] you must not of seen a lot of oem comps because a lot of dell, hp and compaqs have setting in bios that controls what os can be installed by recovery disks. It does not effect retail disks.

yes the eeprom chip holds the bios. but is not the old type bios like 386,486 and 586 had.

7] refer to 5.

8] I meant having xp on this netbook is fine with me and by oem disks I mean the recovery disks that loads the os with all the drivers and hp programs. i.e in this case the recovery disks. again NO the xp home sp3 is not installed. I am trying to install it from the recovery disks.

Allready told you if you would read. 210-1000 cto pc. I know you understood becuase you posted a link to it.

It has no os right now. if I could combine the wims I could copy it to my recovery partition and use the F11 function. But I have read a lot about it and still do not understand how to do it.

Thank you for your replies though.

Not a slic problem. This netbook has no built in cd. I use a usb dvd drive. but hp told me To unplug all usb items before running the recovery disks. but my dvd drive is usb. They told me me for 100 dollars they would fix the problem since I am out of warranty. If you look on hp forrums, there are a lot of net book owners with this problem and no answer. If I could combine split wims I would not need the second disk but don't know enough yet to do that. been looking into gui for imagex but so for they seem to be as complicated as command line.

Well, HP must be confused as they stated in writing how a USB CD/DVD drive is to be used:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01613138&tmp_task=useCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=4172574#N97

Now, maybe it would help into making some progresses if you could forget anything HP "told" you and you could just try describing what actual "recovery disc(s)" you have in your hands.

A good start would be:

1. put the disc(s) in another working PC
  2. say that the drive letter assigned to the CD/DVD driver is E:\ (or change accordingly)
  3. open a command prompt and in it type DIR /S E:\>C:\mydvd1.dir (and press [ENTER])
  4. repeat (if more than one disc with DIR /S E:\>C:\mydvd2.dir
  5. then compress the file(s) C:\mydvdn.dir into a .zip archive and either attach it to your next post or upload to *any* free file hosting site and post a link to it

This way we could have a preliminary idea of what is actually on that (those) disc(s).

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Ahem...

Additionally, what makes you so sure it's NOT a SLIC problem? The link that bphlpt provided indicates it -potentially- has XP -or- Windows7, of which XP uses SLP -in the BIOS- and WindowsVista use SLIC2.0 -in the BIOS- and Windows7 use SLIC2.1 -in the BIOS-. We all know that. Hopefully, you do too?

Yes, that listing tha jaclaz requested (in addition to being sure of the OEM BIOS SLP/SLIC confirmation) would do wonders.

SLIC shouldn't have anything to do with the disc not allowing installation to continue. I'd expect that it would rather read the model number from the BIOS to determine if the disc is allowed to be used on the system or not. Anyways, for a Windows 7 Recovery DVD... I'm pretty sure you could take the install.wim and put it on a stock Windows 7 install DVD and it could be installed that way.

Post#5

1 - The OP indicated that they screwed up the Partitions (?) somehow.

2 - They bought a Recovery Disk Set

3+4 - Recover Disks CREATED are not necessarily the same as PURCHASED Recovery Disks

5 - (Refer to # )

6 - Must be some kind of snarky insult (?) because yes we have and Retail Disks are an entirely different story

7 - (as you said, Refer to #x below)

8 - Real confusion - NOT an XP Recovery set, but Windows 7 Recovery set (link said EITHER/OR)

x - Quoting

Allready told you if you would read. 210-1000 cto pc. I know you understood becuase you posted a link to it.

It has no os right now. if I could combine the wims I could copy it to my recovery partition and use the F11 function. But I have read a lot about it and still do not understand how to do it.

WTH? You have a Recovery Partition (See #1)? You lack clarity. IF you have a Recovery Parition, WHAT is on it? HOW did you "test" an XP Install? Is THAT what screwed up the paritions?

IF it came with Windows 7, THEN it SHOULD have "worked" and been Auto-Activated (SLIC2.0). IF it came with Windows XP it WILL NOT (SLP1.0) - but the XP "OEM Recovery" WILL.

You are TELLING us it is SUPPOSED to have Windows 7 AND you go on about a Recovery Partition.

Tell us the EXACT SEQUENCE of events (what you did) when it DID work up until the time it did NOT! TELL us exactly WHAT OS was on it BEFORE it screwed up. Please list the Disk Contents or not - your choice as it will not provide "secret info".

@Trip - don't be so sure! Many disks can be "tied" (created Recovery disks) based upon a Serial#. Also, some Recovery Disks have Split Weird-Named WIM's so there will be no Install.Wim. Further, many Recovery Disks are "generic" and depend on Model# to determine which Weird-Named WIM's to "drop" onto the PC and will refuse if the Model# isn't listed. IOW, yes, an Install can be "blocked" in many ways. The OP hasn't given any specific in-sequence info other than "it doesn't work but I know it should".

Recovery, Clarity is thy name...

FYI - I had recovered my Daughter's PC at one time by simply making it boot to the Recover Partition (had one of those "bogus" installs on the C-drive). Of course, the Partition Scheme wasn't changed (no shuffling of sizes or volume names). It even recreated the F11 MBR. ;)

What I understand so far;
-you bought an HP mini netbook with XP on it (what year?)
-someone messed up the partitions
-you bought XP recovery cds (or burned them yourself?)

-the 2nd disc is not seen (can you tested it, in that USB drive on an other comp ?) or (according to HP) can't be loaded from an USB optical drive at that point of install.
-as that model also exists sold with Win7, you also bought Win7 recovery DVDs.
-those won't install,

it loads everything then fails because the eeprom is non windows 7.

This is your conclusion, but can you state the exact message ?