Price Outrage

Doggie

I was outraged at price differents in parts .. the same product, costs $115 AU in america where as it costs $335 in australia :|

Sapphire ATI 9600 graphics card.. mean thats absolutely disgusting.. why must we pay more? any legitimate reasons why we must pay so much?

yes but the price show is converted to Australian dollars..

$335 AU to have that product

$115 or $145 AU in the US

thats why im angry.. why is it so much cheaper? australian market isnt that bad is it ? :/

bit like the UK, we pay through the nose compared to the USA.

a bit ????

u must've added this (below) too!

"A lot like in India"

yes buddy, we pay through our nose too.

:goes looking for his nose which has got worn out, after having paid through it:

(of course the credit card isn't worn out - 'coz no one accepts it here)

theres shopping around....

Take PC world, they sell a 120GB western digital drive for £156 or there abouts. I can buy the EXACT same drive for £62 at retail price elsewhere.

Bit of a difference no?

None of all that makes any difference to us Indians.

Some sort of a conspiracy is on to keep prices high - and make 1 year old hardware "feel" high-end.

For example, the shops here are anyway pricey (for decent hardware). And there's no website located in India, that's worth buying from.

And as for websites that sell/ship from warehouses outside India, I better not use them, because:

1. They mostly want credit cards (not legal for online buying yet, here; also consider that the transaction is insecure).

2. The government does its bit to promote computing for all (in the negative sense) by levying almost 250% customs/duties/etc.

3. After that comes landed cost, shipping charges, margins, etc.

YUP!

It's H-E-L-L

(in case u didn't understand): HELL

It isn't only computer parts / accessories that suffer an outrageous price hike

when imported or exported. It isn't just Australia or the UK that are

charged these duties or taxes. These duties are charged by the respective

governments and are placed on all imports. Just another gubmint grab.

Right now in the US, we are paying 3 times the normal price for raw steel

imported from abroad because of these duties. Steel shapes that were made

from the recycled steel that was shipped from the US originally. These is

something really wrong with that.

i think the funniest thing is buying from manufacturers website

when the dvd writers first came i looked at external sony drive from their website

it was like $600. then i checked some websites and it lowered to $350 :) don't but from manufacturers directly!!!

tris, i quoted from newegg, which are supposed to be the best in pc hardware.. and i quoted my price for the australian one from australias "leading" warehouse... now think about that, its wholesale, i'd hate to think what it retails for.. :S

SunnyB, when there are people in the US that can do the work and it's sent elsewhere, it makes sense for the government to charge import duties to make it harder to buy from elsewhere. It's another thing entirely when there is no company in a country that makes what you want to buy and you have to pay twice what you can buy it for in the US.

The US charges a huge levvy on bannanas (an illegal one too) to try and drive the former UK colonies out of business. Not all the levvys they charge have a sensible, or valid reason. Many are illegal too, and if it was some company using some of the kinds of tactics our governments use, they would be in court faster than you can say "anti-trust"