PC connected to both wifi and ethernet

Hello to all, I have this situation:

Netgear DGND4000 modem/router

To the router I have connected my two PCs and my Samsung LED TV

My motherboard (ASUS P8Z77V-Pro) has its wifi b/g/n card (not yet installed) and respective antennas

What generate my question:

I just discover an ASUS app for my Android smartphone (WiFi Go!) letting me to control the PC via the mobile, but having everything wired it doesn't works.

So, I need wired connection to transfer huge files in less time inside my LAN, but I would also the wifi link to be able to use the mobile app to control everything from the sofa

Do you think it should possible to have a wifi and ethernet connection working together on the same PC, each one doing different duty?

Tks in advance

A computer most certainly can work with 2 network adapters.

In fact, I am typing from such a computer now, where wireless is going to the internet (not under my control) 192.168.1.27/24 and wired goes to another local PC to transfer files over smb and ftp 192.168.1.18/30 (doesn't have a gateway entered). Normally the subnets should not overlap, but I got it working. Without a gateway on the second adapter, the computer still has only one route to the internet.

I think the adapters have to be on different subnets so that you can direct traffic into one or the other. You could control which adapter is prefered to reach the Internet, if both have routes to it, by changing the gateway metric.

Edited by j7n

A computer most certainly can work with 2 network adapters.

In fact, I am typing from such a computer now, where wireless is going to the internet (not under my control) 192.168.1.27/24 and wired goes to another local PC to transfer files over smb and ftp 192.168.1.18/30 (doesn't have a gateway entered). Normally the subnets should not overlap, but I got it working. Without a gateway on the second adapter, the computer still has only one route to the internet.

I think the adapters have to be on different subnets so that you can direct traffic into one or the other. You could control which adapter is prefered to reach the Internet, if both have routes to it, by changing the gateway metric.

Tks for your reply, it sounds good, but I think it's too much for my knowledge :(

I would recommend that you use a static IP for out wired network. Also, do not enter a default gateway for the NIC. This way you should be able to access the internet with wireless via DNS/domain names, and then also have access to your LAN using IP addresses.

I would recommend that you use a static IP for out wired network. Also, do not enter a default gateway for the NIC. This way you should be able to access the internet with wireless via DNS/domain names, and then also have access to your LAN using IP addresses.

Hello and tks for your reply.

Actually all my PC's NICs are setted to AUTO, both for Gateway and DNS', I just used to reserve an IP address for each NICs into the router, just the ADSL IP I can't have static because it depends from my ISP.

I have a try and I'll let you know where I'll be stuck, just in case ;)

Tks for now to all

Chances are, it will just work. Or it won't depending on how the Asus app is designed. Your options are kinda limited if the router must send the exact same configuration (subnet) to both the TV and Phone. Except you can choose which network interface to go on the Internet with, by removing the gateway of the other one. There are at least two sets of IPs on each side of the router. You must have a dynamic one on the "WAN" side, but are free to set a static configuration on the "LAN" side for some or all PCs.