The Updated Mini List of Win98/ME Software

ZortMcGort11

• 2 weeks later...

Archivers - Zipping Programs

LAST - FREE - 7-zip 9.22 beta

Since 9.32 alpha, 7-zip does not work on Windows 98/ME. LsaAddAccountRights function in Advapi32.dll is required, and it is necessary to set the compatibility mode to 2k with KernelEx for running 7zFM.exe.

-----

The free Telnet/SSH client PuTTY 0.64 still works on Windows 98.

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/

Yeah... about 7-zip, that was known a while ago already. 9.31 was the very last version compatible with 9x. AFAIK it has been officially released for a while, I do have it installed on my 98SE machine, but I never got the corresponding sources. :(

I've also built an updated version of the Total Commander 7-zip archiver plug-in, an ANSI version based on the 9.20 beta sources that allows (de)compression using LZMA2. It can be found at my repository (see signature below).

Yeah... about 7-zip, that was known a while ago already. 9.31 was the very last version compatible with 9x. AFAIK it has been officially released for a while, I do have it installed on my 98SE machine, but I never got the corresponding sources. :(

Drugwash, could you possibly upload this version of 7-zip to your repository?  I looked for it on Sourceforge, but it was not listed in their 7-zip "Browse All Files" page.  The last i have is v9.22, and i would like to try out v9.31 (even tho it's alpha).  Thanks.... 

- Doug B.

That might be a little hard. I've lost my main machine twice and the HDDs that stored the downloads (including the 7-zip versions) are now scattered around the house, unconnected. I'll try to find the right one, maybe I manage to connect it to a secondary machine and grab the file. It may take a while. Will post back.

Drugwash, could you possibly upload this version of 7-zip to your repository?  I looked for it on Sourceforge, but it was not listed in their 7-zip "Browse All Files" page.  The last i have is v9.22, and i would like to try out v9.31 (even tho it's alpha).  Thanks.... 

- Doug B.

If you google for 7-Zip 9.31 you'll find this within the first page of results: http://freewareupdate.com/download-7-zip/10004/  

Amazing but true...  ;)

OK, you got lucky. 7-zip v9.31 alpha is here, along with other "missing links", but they're only for historical purposes, since alpha versions may be unstable/incomplete/buggy (as stated in the README.txt). Enjoy! :)

EDIT: Heck, this is what happens when one doesn't refresh the page before posting... No problem, the more the merrier - I hate it when a file is available in a unique place and all so-called hosts do nothing but link to that file, which when pulled by the manufacturer leaves the people in complete blackout.

Edited by Drugwash

Thanks everyone for the 7-zip links.  I did Google v9.31, but the few links i tried all pointed to newer versions (frustrating).  I went to Sourceforge first though, as i figured that would be the most-reliable and inclusive repository.  

Anyway, 7-zip 9.31 alpha does have bugs.  For instance, it won't allow your default text viewer to open a .txt file in the archive -- gives an "undefined error" message.  Reinstalling v9.22 beta restored that functionality.  

- Doug B.

Have you tried the others, older, uploaded with 9.31 at my repository?

Anyway, I just tried opening a couple of text files from an XPI archive (a Firefox addon which is actually a plain zip archive) with 9.31 alpha and they opened fine in Metapad (which I installed as Notepad replacement by renaming it to notepad.exe). Right-click file > 7-Zip > Open archive.

Also it opened an XML file from a 7z archive in the same Metapad by choosing 'View' from the context menu after opening the archive the same way as in previous example.

So it may depend on archive type, text viewer or even system files.

I have  KernelEx 4.5.2  installed.

If I disable the Kex extension, Easy 7-Zip doesn't launch.

With default compatibility in KernelEx, the soft launch but not displaying some icons in the File Manager

and works fine AFAIK.

I have set compatibility to Windows 2000 SP4 to get a better icon display although imperfect.

Edited by CharlesF

Tried to compile the code in the Easy 7-zip source package under VC6 but got a lot of errors. Some may be fixable but I'm not sure about the ASM ones, that's a bit beyond my rusty knowledge. No idea what's x64 conditions doing in a supposedly x86 code section (folder), for example. :(

• 4 weeks later...

Resource Hacker version 4.0.0 just released (2 May 2015)!

I've unpacked the setup exe (it's an Inno setup)

and it is running just fine in Win 98 SE! :thumbup

The settings are written in a local file: RESHACKER.ini

Changes List:
What's new in 4.0.0 version:
Main changes include better displaying of images (esp. 32-bit images)
Now allows creating RES files from scratch (including template dialog, menu, string table, version and manifest resources)
Numerous cosmetic improvements

Enjoy!  :D

EDIT: from the same source:

People who want to use a portable version of Resource Hacker, just install it using the setup file give below and after installation, copy "Resource Hacker" folder from "C:\Program Files" folder to any other desired location like another drive, USB stick, etc and you are ready to enjoy the portable version.

LATER EDIT: I was wrong.   :blushing:

Cursors are NOT displayed in this new version.

I've tried to set Kernel Ex 4.5.2 to a specific compatibility, but it doesn't help  :no: .

Edited by CharlesF