Registry Programs

west117wolf

I find good results on x64 systems with Auslogics, but just don't click on any of the "System Scan" or "Upgrade" links. As a utility it cleans well, but not too abrasively.. Then I just use Ccleaner. I always backup the changes it makes first.

Never, EVER, EVER user RegSeeker. Albeit terrific in the 2000/XP days when you wanted to search out that last remaining remnant of a program, you can seriously damage an x64 system since it doesn't understand the tree underneath Wow6432Node.

I also use NT RegOpt as a registry compressor. There have been times where I've noticed a slight improvement, but not often. For the most part, I wonder if registry cleaners bring about THAT much improvement over and above the risk you take with such apps.

Edited by JodyThornton

What is a good registry program?

I've been extremely impressed by Registry Workshop.

It's not a cleaner and fixer, but an editor. You can do anything you wish you could with Regedit, and it manages all that while being small, fast and portable.

($30 shareware)

Registry cleaning and defragmenting is useful after a purge of many unneeded applications have been performed, such as if you have received a used computer. I know of no automatic cleaner. I sometimes go through with a registry cleaner, to get its opinion. If I see there Nero, I am reminded that I still have traces of it. Then I clean them out all of it's progids using Regedit (and now Workshop) manually.

Edited by j7n