How do I uninstall Aero Glass for Win 8.x ? - Fix for stuck people Win

'Sup! I'm starting a new topic because I believe there will be many people like me who have downloaded the Windows 8.1 Update 1, and happened to have its login screen broken with the annoying message of "Your DWM is not compatible with aero glass", making your Windows installation unusable. Also, I don't know the "proper" way of uninstalling Aero Glass.

Before installing Windows 8.1 Update 1

I really don't know if there are any registry tricks involved. I did install the Aero Glass using the installer. As I didn't find anything on "Programs and Features", I decided to erase the Aero Glass folder. This didn't work. Fortunately, I was able too boot normally again by renaming "DWMGlass.dll" to "DWMGlass.dll.bak" in the C:\Windows directory. I believe this file can be deleted (I didn't do it because I didn't know what would happen if I did).

I don't know if this "Uninstalls" the program, but I now have my Update 1 installation up and running.

If you have a broken Windows 8.1 Update 1 installation because you didn't remove Aero Glass

Launch Safe Mode. This is kind of tricky because Windows loads normally to the login screen. The problem is that you're stuck with the buzzing message of "Your DWM is not compatible with aero glass" and you can't do a thing. So either try pressing F8 repeatedly when you see the BIOS, or the logo of your computer, so you can access recovery mode OR try forcing shut down when the Loading circles appear at the boot screen.

Select "Safe Mode". Your computer will boot normally. Then, go to "This PC", Click Local Disk C (Or whatever your Windows installation is) and go to the "Windows" folder, in there search for "DWMGlass.dll", either rename it or delete it. Then boot again.

See, if anyone is actually reading this post before upgrading to Update 1, hope this helps :P

I was able too boot normally again by renaming "DWMGlass.dll" to "DWMGlass.dll.bak" in the C:\Windows directory

Beyond what Big Muscle has said above... What the heck are you doing putting stuff in the C:\Windows directory?

-Noel

• 1 year later...