last Firefox "lite" ?

vinifera

there is one PC my parent uses, it is kinda weak for this new "modern" browsers

its spec are

CPU Athlon XP 2600+

RAM 1 Gig + page file

OS XP SP3

my parent simply can't use anything else but Firefox and these newer are resource hungry

so if anyone know which one was last that was light as 3.6 and 4 ?

mind you Pale Moon doesn't exist for Athlon XP on purpose

Edited by vinifera

there is one PC my parent uses, it is kinda weak for this new "modern" browsers

its spec are

CPU Athlon XP 2600+

RAM 1 Gig + page file

OS XP SP3

my parent simply can't use anything else but Firefox and these newer are resource hungry

so if anyone know which one was last that was light as 3.6 and 4 ?

mind you Pale Moon doesn't exist for Athlon XP on purpose

You could try the new k-melon beta here its based of of firefox 24.2 esr, but it is still in the beta form and does have issues still.

Here's a screenshot I took with the processes showing.

K-Meleon.bmp

Edited by Flasche

its not about slowness, but resource consumption

for example Pale Moon is fantastic comparing to ordinary FF

but I cannot run it on that PC so I aim at any previous FF that is as light as Pale Moon (or FF 3.6 or 4)

Edited by vinifera

I am using Firefox 27 now on my computer with 890 MB of RAM, when for whatever reason I cannot use Opera. I haven't noticed that it would be slower.

Web sites themselves, on the other hand, are [much] more bloated, and consuming memory. Look at this one, since the upgrade of the forum engine, and compare it to say Hydrogen Audio. Those sites also "need" the latest browser for basic things like text input to work, whether we like it or not.

I've disabled a few things in my Firefox, such as 'safebrowsing' and the autoupdater (for negligible impact), and moved the cache.disk.parent_directory to a temporary partition to decrease the effect of fragmentation. I'm also using an older version of the Flash plugin, put into the program directory (again, no autoupdater for the Flash). If you can accept that some sites will be disabled, try running the browser without Flash at all.

Look into an advertisement blocking solution that is not built in to Firefox (using memory and CPU for JavaScript) – but instead a redirecting hosts file, DNS or a small proxy server, and keep the blacklists for advertising, and script-heavy sites up to date. This last thing will reduce the resource usage of the browser the most, assuming we cannot turn back time and return to classic, efficient websites.

• 5 weeks later...

I can recommend chrome as browser. On an old Pentium-3 With 800Mhz and 700MB memory, it really showed performance-differences: Even old opera (version 7) was slower than newest chrome! I used some portable-version to make sure it won't put weight on the system. I think it was called chromium.

I can recommend chrome as browser. On an old Pentium-3 With 800Mhz and 700MB memory, it really showed performance-differences: Even old opera (version 7) was slower than newest chrome! I used some portable-version to make sure it won't put weight on the system. I think it was called chromium.

If chrome is the way then chromium is the answer. Chromium is better because for it is open-source and has unwanted junk removed, like auto updating. If you still want Firefox/Firefox-like vinifera you could try the new beta release of K-Meleon. It is said to fix some issues, and I'm going to try it now. Also you could just use Firefox 3.6.28 and change its user-agent string. 3.6.28 rendered all the sites I used with the fake Firefox 24 UAS.

k-meleon is terrible now

until they fix it, its a no go

K then how about Comondo IceDragon. I just found the little bugger and did some tests. You would like it. Seems to use an anonymous search.Specs below

• Windows 7 / Vista / XP – 32/64 bit
  • 128 MB RAM
  • 40 MB Hard Disk Space

Ice dragon.bmp

Edited by Flasche

Comodoa also has a chrome-based browser just called dragon. Both are for secure surfing. Downside: nobody knows what features are actually integrated by comodo. Hands off stuff like this! I doubt it's faster anyway.

Comodoa also has a chrome-based browser just called dragon. Both are for secure surfing. Downside: nobody knows what features are actually integrated by comodo. Hands off stuff like this! I doubt it's faster anyway.

Try it out. I particularly don't use Comondo stuff. (only downloaded to get that screenshot) I personally found it faster than firefox during my little test surfing. I also heard some good reviews about the chrome version, so that is why I posted the firefox version.

mmm...sounds not too bad actually. Ever tried it on an old machine? Best performance-test you can get.

Edit:

I don't like comodo-stuff as well. I somehow remember trouble when trying to uninstall it.

Edited by whocares02

mmm...sounds not too bad actually. Ever tried it on an old machine? Best performance-test you can get.

Can try it out on my dual boot me linux 2001 computer. I'll reply to this post when I download it.