Giant Virus Revived From Frozen Siberian Tundra

Monroe

We have to wonder what might show up one of these days ... those good old 1950's sci-fi films ... giant ants, grasshoppers and a giant virus.

"Researchers revived a virus dormant in a 30,000-year-old ice core. They warn that oil and gas development in far northern latitudes, such as near Salym, Russia, could disturb microbes harmful to humans."

Giant Virus Revived from Deep Freeze in Siberian Tundra

http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-giant-virus-revived-20140302,0,4662287.story#ixzz2uvwls53Y

Geoffrey Mohan

March 3, 2014, 12:20 p.m.

A 30,000-year-old giant virus has been revived from the frozen Siberian tundra, sparking concern that increased mining and oil drilling in rapidly warming northern latitudes could disturb dormant microbial life that could one day prove harmful to man.

The latest find, described online Monday in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, appears to belong to a new family of mega-viruses that infect only amoeba. But its revival in a laboratory stands as “a proof of principle that we could eventually resurrect active infectious viruses from different periods,” said the study’s lead author, microbiologist Jean-Michel Claverie of Aix-Marseille University in France.

“We know that those non-dangerous viruses are alive there, which probably is telling us that the dangerous kind that may infect humans and animals -- that we think were eradicated from the surface of Earth -- are actually still present and eventually viable, in the ground,” Claverie said.

With climate change making northern reaches more accessible, the chance of disturbing dormant human pathogens increases, the researchers concluded. Average surface temperatures in the area that contained the virus have increased more steeply than in more temperate latitudes, the researchers noted.

"What's the worst that could happen?" ... I don't even want to think about it !!!

I think I would rather face zombies coming down the street ... I would hope they would be zombies from the 1950's as they were much slower back then ... the zombies of today are much faster and seem to be smarter.

Reminds me of the classic X-Files episode "Ice." Probably in the top ten X-Files shows ever made. They get these slugs that attach to your neck and force your to kill people, only way to cure it was to introduce a second slug into the victim, whereby the slugs would kill each other. It was sort of like "The Thing."

Edited by LostInSpace2012

"What's the worst that could happen?" ... I don't even want to think about it !!!

I think I would rather face zombies coming down the street ... I would hope they would be zombies from the 1950's as they were much slower back then ... the zombies of today are much faster and seem to be smarter.

Nothing a minigun can't handle, with enough ammo. ;)

motivational-the-complete-solution-minig

In case of need:

http://zombie.wikia.com/wiki/Zombie_Wiki

jaclaz

With climate change making northern reaches more accessible, the chance of disturbing dormant human pathogens increases, the researchers concluded. Average surface temperatures in the area that contained the virus have increased more steeply than in more temperate latitudes, the researchers noted.

Grr more climate change propaganda. :realmad: When will those stupid scientists learn we wont buy into their scams.

Zombie apocalypse. ;)

I think Florida would not be the safest place to live. Seems like they have their zombie issues http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami_cannibal_attack.

An absolute must for a Zombie survival kit ... I have a gun, a pick-ax and a long handled shovel ... if I run out of bullets and my pick-ax handle breaks then I will fall back to my shovel ... but if I had that mini-gun I wouldn't need the shovel.

I don't know if you have zombies in Italy, the United States is full of zombies, some areas more so than others. Whatever you have to do to survive ... you can't talk or reason with a zombie. I don't know how these zombies reproduce but there are many more today than there were in the 1950's.

Yes, I wondered about about the "global warming thing" when I posted the virus story yesterday but the virus did turn up and made news.

Edited by monroe

I don't know if you have zombies in Italy,

Sure we have 'em, they tend to make a career in politics here ;), in the sense that you can't talk or reason with them :whistle:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Ha Ha ... that's good ... I wasn't even thinking about that, that means there are more zombies in this country than I thought !!!

Good luck on your fight for survival !

Edited by monroe