Can Nlite Be Used Without Loading An Operating System

graybeard47

Everything I have read is for an unattended installation of a Windows OS, Windows Updates, Drivers etc. Can it be used for all other aspects listed within the software on an ATTENDED basis without uploading the operating system? More times than not, a failed verification arises from filling-in my XP key codes, thus doing these by phone has never been a problem and I want to continue doing so.

If XP has to be uploaded for Nlite to work, can the batch script "UDC-02.11.14 Zip" for the Post SP3 Updates that it loads, be burned to disc for use?

Thank you

What do you mean by "uploaded"? Creating an unattended installation is just one optional feature of nLite. The rest of its operations can be done without that step, if desired.

I'm afraid you're mislead on what nLite does. nLite modifies an existing Microsoft XP installation CD. nLite does not install Windows nor does it modify a running Windows, So of course nLite does not run without that CD or a copy of it because that is the whole point. nLite does not run the UDC batch script (that a forum user has written independently). nLite can process the outcome of the UDC script to integrate it in an installation disc.

If your installation disc is attended and simply you don't use unattended options, the result is attended. I even think that if your CD is unattended and you do use the unattended options to replace them with blanc fields, you end up with an attended like cd.

Ponch reply: "nLite does not run without that CD or a copy of it because that is the whole point" helped alot. After reading a few guides about nLITE, this makes real sense about my misconception that the OS was intergrated.

Questions:

1. One of my XP disks is a HOME upgrade version that will need to insert my 98 SE disk to be run for a moment after the install starts. Will thicause

any problem with nLite?

2.I used the batch script "UDC-02.11.14 Zip" for the Post SP3 Updates but why can't: C:WINDOWS\SoftwareDistributionDownload that is holding the XP

updates already be used?

Thank you

1) No problem. Upgrade disc will result in an upgrade disc.

2) You cannot integrate "everything that has been integrated in your running Windows" in the CD. The UDC gives you all the critical updates only. Those are tested (by the author of the script) to be integrable in an install CD. I think IE can also be integrated as such since the last version of nLite.