Introducing - Unofficial Windows XP SP4

harkaz

3 hours ago, aaronfranke said:

Will you be creating "Windows 7 Unofficial SP2" when Windows 7 loses support in 2020? I am definitely interested in this!

What about "Windows Vista Unofficial SP3"? Not that I care very much, but it would be neat.

Um... I doubt the OP has the resources to work on more than one service pack style thing actively. It is a good idea though!

Edited by IceFairyAmy

• 3 months later...

I'm not sure whats going on, but I did a clean install the other day using SP4 3.1b. I only got about 6 updates. On my older installation with SP4 3.1a, I got a ton of them including Office 2003 updates. What is going on and am I missing something?

2.JPG

1.JPG

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

• 3 months later...

You need to manually install the latest cumulative IE8 update and Office updates before scanning for updates.

Updates can be downloaded from the Microsoft Update Catalog website (https://catalog.update.microsoft.com). Just search for posready and sort the updates shown in chronological order.

• 4 months later...

UPDATE - 15 OCT 2018:
For novice users that do not want to wait for 20-30 minutes after installing XP SP4 AND rebooting
For all .NET haters...

A NEW RELEASE OF UNOFFICIAL SP4 3.1B WITHOUT .NET FRAMEWORK

This release will not install .NET Framework in both live and slipstreamed install, unless:
- Media Center Edition is used -> .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 is installed
- Tablet PC Edition is used -> .NET Framework 1.0 SP3 is installed
Users can still install .NET FWs of their choice from the Add/Remove Components wizard in Control Panel
This alternative SP4 release is called:
WindowsXP-USP4-v3.1b-NODOTNET-x86-ENU.exe

In addition, XP SP4 OEM Preinstallation Kit ISOs with SCSI drivers, and an updated MUI ISO have been released!

Edited by harkaz

• 5 months later...

Could this project continue with a form like WSUS Offline Update (www.wsusoffline.net)? The last version supporting WinXP is 9.2.4. It is highly customizable, has options to select whether .NET, service pack, VC redistributables, or other languages should be installed, etc. WSUS works by downloading updates first then installing. Those downloading scripts could be stripped and only release installable "client" directory. And the updates it gets do not include those after applying PosReady hack, which if also included, is very favorable.

After next month, there probably won't be much point. Once we have the final POSReady '09 updates, someone can create an "unofficial SP5" containing unofficial SP4 plus all the POSReady updates (except any found to be defective). That will be pretty much it for XP updates (unless there's a major malware attack and M$ decides to make a rare exception, as they did with WannaCry).

Yes that is what I expected, yet different with "unofficial SP4" (which is from SP1 from SP3 above) is that, I hope it could include updates from SP3 to POSReady final. Because the common XP install media now is SP3. With WSUSOffline's framework it could be an option easily though.

If I remember correctly, time ago Harkaz said that he wasn't going to constantly update the SP4 anymore, but he was willing to release a final version once the end of support was reached. Time passed and I don't know whether he still has time/the will to do that, but hopefully we're going to see one last final and definitive version of his SP4. :)

per harkaz January 15, 2018:

I will create a post-SP4 update pack/post-SP4 live installer (two separate files) at Windows XP second EOL - in May 2019. There are some issues with some updates and they cannot be included in service pack-style package until they are fixed by Microsoft or a third-party developer (I can sign most modified files in XP). Most recent example is the new buggy ntfs.sys file.

If a reliable and smart KernelEx project has been created to support latest Firefox/Chrome releases without breaking other apps, a new SP4 version 4.0 may be considered that will include the KernelEx along with the latest updates.

Of course we can hope for that final and definitive version of SP4, but as there has been no "reliable and smart KernelEx project" developed, the best we can reasonably expect is a post-SP4 update pack/post-SP4 live installer.

UPDATE [June 7, 2019]: Post-SP4 Update Pack released!

This final update pack should be applied to Windows XP installation media immediately after slipstreaming SP4 v3.1b to a Windows XP RTM/SP1/SP2/SP3 source. This will update installation media to May 2019, including every single update released until the POSReady 2009 end-of-life in May 2019. Download available at RyanVM.net.

On 3/28/2019 at 10:46 PM, bluebolt said:

[...] as there has been no "reliable and smart KernelEx project" developed [...]

Yes, it hasn't. However, just for the record, if anyone ever decides to try and do such thing in the right way, this thread at reboot is a must read:  http://reboot.pro/topic/18570-extents/ There one'll find injective code that ought to be useful for a properly done kernelex. As I said in the past, the way to do that is to inject code at the run time images of kernel32.dll advapi.dll and some other processes, and use that code to redirect requests for missing functions to modules providing them. Myself, I have not interest whatsoever in even trying to do that. It's too much work, and moving XP to a virtual machine (esp. VirtualBox) just works: I've a experimental one on 7 Ultimate SP1 x64, working great, but which I intend to move to debian stretch x64, probably next month. So that when both XP and 7 x32 eventually become actually unusable I'll just move on to debian for banking and browsing the web, while keeping my loved XP applications runing in seamless mode to do my work, as always. No 10 ever on my end, and may MS rot in hell! Just my 2¢...:yes:

6 hours ago, harkaz said:

This final update pack should be applied to Windows XP installation media immediately after slipstreaming SP4 v3.1b to a Windows XP RTM/SP1/SP2/SP3 source. This will update installation media to May 2019, including every single update released until the POSReady 2009 end-of-life in May 2019. Download available at RyanVM.net.

That's great!! :D

Thank you very much indeed harkaz, I was looking forward to archive it. :)

17 hours ago, harkaz said:

Excuse me, are we supposed to extract the files to the Windows or System (I can't recall which contains i386) directory then run the .bat file?