Introducing - Unofficial Windows XP SP4

harkaz

On 3/15/2020 at 1:51 PM, ImWolf said:

I have 2 machines currently running a version of the SP4 update. On my office machine I already had a SP3 install, so I simply double clicked the USP4-v3.1b-x86-ENU.exe file to update. On a separate machine I was doing a fresh install, so I slipstreamed this file into the installation files (of XP Pro SP3), and then used "Slipstream.bat" to update those install files again with the "PostSP4-May19" package.

Soon, I will be replacing the MB on my office machine, so I will need to do a complete re-install of XP. I have been attempting to create the install ISO with nLite once again, but for some reason I am not able to integrate the May19 updates as I have done in the past. I have created a directory for the install files, and then used nLite to add the USP4-v3.1b service pack, and this seems to work just fine. However, after I extract the zip and use "slipstream.bat" to modify this install directory then nLite will no longer open the files for further use.

At this point, nLite throws a dialog box at me saying "Unhandled exception has occured.....   Length cannot be less than zero.....   Parameter name:length"

I tried using the "slipstream.bat" routine both while nLite was still active and had just updated the Service Pack, and after shutting nLite down. I have tried this on both machines (currently running XP SP4) with the same results.

Last night I D/L again the newest package from Harkaz Google drive. The package includes a new file called "WindowsXP-SP4EOS-Rollup.exe", and extracts into a directory named "Update Rollup for Live Installations". There is no "readme" file included, so I'm not sure if this exe file should be slipstreamed into the installation files using nLite, or if it is intended to be run as a stand alone update after the setup (with USP4-v3.1b only). This latest "Rollup" is stamped Dec. 26, 2019.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Wolf

nLiteError.jpg

This is a known issue: for some reason the updated time zone registry entries in the post-sp4 update pack in hivesft.inf cause nlite to crash (an unresolved bug in nLite). As a workaround you can temporarily copy the time zone registry entries from another update pack and replace them in the hivesft.inf file. After nLite is done with the modifications, replace the original registry entries in the hivesft,inf file.

On 11/25/2020 at 9:41 PM, jack980517 said:

I installed XP Pro with SP3, and then ran the SP4 v3.1b installer, the Post-SP4 Update Rollup, and then the MUI pack, in this order. I followed the readme in the MUI pack exactly. The translations are incomplete. ("Hardware" and "Remote" in the first picture, and the name of the file types in the second)

This didn't happen when I used stock SP3 and stock MUI packs, so I guess it's because of the updated files in SP4. How to fix it?

PS: this installation is still in "testing" phase, so I'm willing to re-install the whole OS, if necessary.

photo_2020-11-26_13-37-58.jpg

photo_2020-11-26_13-38-17.jpg

The MUI pack has been tested with the XP SP4 v3.1b only. For the post-sp4 update pack level, there are language-specific files such as xpsp4res.dll that may need updating. You can get these files from the latest updates. I have no plans to rebuild the SP4 MUI Pack for the update pack level. SP4 v3.1b (without .NET Framework) is the most stable option for most systems eligible for XP. Microsoft has botched some OS functionality in post-2016 updates (due to lack of extensive testing?) and dropped support for non-SSE2 processors.

On 6/25/2021 at 7:29 PM, lan vuhoang said:

Did SP4 automatically disable the "Windows XP End of Support is on April 8th, 2014" message?

Also, could you make the System Properties says "Version 2019" or something when the Post-SP4 Update Rollup is installed?

Guess this is now the only way to get a fully updated version of Windows XP post-install now that the SHA-1 update servers for XP go down.

And what updates are included in this exactly?

Yes that message has been disabled by SP4.

Version 2014 will not change for historical reasons (XP SP4 was finalized in 2014). After 2016 (XP Embedded SP3 EOL-SP4 v3.1b update level) the quality of POSReady updates was inferior and consequently the update pack may not be stable on some systems. Latest is not always greatest.

To get a list of updates: On a system with the post-SP4 update pack - either installed or integrated in the installation media - run qfecheck from the command prompt.

Edited by harkaz

On 6/28/2021 at 9:00 PM, beansmuggler said:

I just reinstalled from fresh using their rule of Starting from SP2 > get SP3 > Get SP4 with no .NET > get post-SP4 > install .NET from Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel and I don't have any 1.1 and 4.0 listen in my list of programs, even though the installer shows a check mark beside 1.1 and 4.0. I have a freezing-after-login issue when a certain program is installed on this computer, but I'm trying to make sure that it's not because of SP4 taking from 1.1 and 4.0.

That's normal apart from the freeze. .NET 2.0-3.5 appear due to necessary Windows Installer baseline configuration.

Try optimizing the .NET Framework 4.0 (refer to XP SP4 first post at RyanVM.net, see my signature). Otherwise, start from scratch in that order:

SP2 -> SP4 directly, no .NET -> Install post-SP4 -> install .NET 3.5 and .NET 1.1 -> reboot -> Install .NET 4.0 -> reboot  -> Install all .NET apps -> Optimize  .NET Framework 4.0

• 2 months later...

@harkaz Today I tried to install your windows xp sp4 on Vmware, I found a bug in .net framework 4.0.
It gives error of file. After restarting the system, I try to install microsoft visual studio 2010 tools for office runtime.
It gives Error 1935 message.
Even if it makes the system slow when turning on.
And remember the bug from the predecessor that there is no NODOTNET between windows explorer and office 2010 version.
When trying to control a large number of files, windows explorer restarts itself after installing Office.
 It's still in the current version as well. 

bandicam 2022-03-22 12-32-42-086.jpg

I would like to add my own observations regarding Service Pack 4 issues and possible fixes (in the unlikely case that somebody or harkaz ends up fixing them) in this post.

While using the "Service Pack 4 Security Enhancements" (xpfixit.inf) in my own Windows XP build, I discovered that after installing Office 2007/2010 in German, the Explorer would crash upon right-clicking any file of unknown type. Upon further investigation, I found out that removing all lines responsible for changing anything in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT from xpfixit.inf fixes that problem. (including a niche issue whereby installing SP4+MCE, then installing Office XP/2003 before applying a Office Service Pack would result in Media Center HTML-based apps (including MCE's integrated help pages) breaking) Perhaps this is related to the issue above.

Slipstreaming SP4 into a Windows XP MCE installation source renders the installer unable to accept any product keys. I have no idea how to fix this.

.NET Framework 4.0 will not be installed or displayed in the optional components menu when installing XP MCE with SP4 slipstreamed. I am aware that this was done deliberately to circumvent an issue whereby ehrec.exe would be pinned at 100% when updating the Electronic Programme Guide, described in the following thread on Microsoft Connect (archived) :
https://web.archive.org/web/20110926114611/https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/594777/net-4-and-mce2005-epg-download

(note: ehrec.exe probably uses up 100% of a processor core, so the users in the mentioned thread likely had dual core processors, resulting in a 50% processor load)

A similar issue arose when I installed MCE 2005 and .NET Framework 4.0 before running the audio test in Media Center Setup that would also hang ehrec.exe and pin it at 100% processor load on one core/processor thread. Inspired by the following article I realised that placing a mscoree.dll (Microsoft .NET Framework Core Execution Engine Library?) with version 1.1.4322 from the .NET Framework 1.1 installer into the \Windows\ehome folder fixed that issue.

Here is the mentioned article: https://kevinchalet.com/2018/10/07/highway-to-dll-hell/

P.S.: The .NET problem of the person above looks like an incomplete or corrupted .NET Framework install to my eyes, but I cannot say what went wrong there. Perhaps you have to wait longer between SP4 installation and reboot?

18 hours ago, whydoihavetosignupforattachments said:

I would like to add my own observations regarding Service Pack 4 issues and possible fixes (in the unlikely case that somebody or harkaz ends up fixing them) in this post.

While using the "Service Pack 4 Security Enhancements" (xpfixit.inf) in my own Windows XP build, I discovered that after installing Office 2007/2010 in German, the Explorer would crash upon right-clicking any file of unknown type. Upon further investigation, I found out that removing all lines responsible for changing anything in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT from xpfixit.inf fixes that problem. (including a niche issue whereby installing SP4+MCE, then installing Office XP/2003 before applying a Office Service Pack would result in Media Center HTML-based apps (including MCE's integrated help pages) breaking) Perhaps this is related to the issue above.

Slipstreaming SP4 into a Windows XP MCE installation source renders the installer unable to accept any product keys. I have no idea how to fix this.

.NET Framework 4.0 will not be installed or displayed in the optional components menu when installing XP MCE with SP4 slipstreamed. I am aware that this was done deliberately to circumvent an issue whereby ehrec.exe would be pinned at 100% when updating the Electronic Programme Guide, described in the following thread on Microsoft Connect (archived) :
https://web.archive.org/web/20110926114611/https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/594777/net-4-and-mce2005-epg-download

(note: ehrec.exe probably uses up 100% of a processor core, so the users in the mentioned thread likely had dual core processors, resulting in a 50% processor load)

A similar issue arose when I installed MCE 2005 and .NET Framework 4.0 before running the audio test in Media Center Setup that would also hang ehrec.exe and pin it at 100% processor load on one core/processor thread. Inspired by the following article I realised that placing a mscoree.dll (Microsoft .NET Framework Core Execution Engine Library?) with version 1.1.4322 from the .NET Framework 1.1 installer into the \Windows\ehome folder fixed that issue.

Here is the mentioned article: https://kevinchalet.com/2018/10/07/highway-to-dll-hell/

P.S.: The .NET problem of the person above looks like an incomplete or corrupted .NET Framework install to my eyes, but I cannot say what went wrong there. Perhaps you have to wait longer between SP4 installation and reboot?

I've only uninstalled the .NET 4.0 where from  Windows XP SP4 and used of abbodi1406's instead. I have tried restarting, nothing has changed. ;(I installed SP4 and continued with Post-Update Pack) The file may not be complete.

during installation the SP4 and Post-Update Packs file There are no install failed messages of any kind. Thanks

Yes, after installing .NET 4.0 and I try to restart Windows again. After that .NET 4.0 will appear CMD. Need to read files from my tests to wait.

Edited by tpao12

On 3/26/2022 at 11:32 AM, whydoihavetosignupforattachments said:

In the slipstreamed MCE SP4 media, inside file hivesys.inf, search for string "POSReady WPA trick". Remove the registry entry below that. Reinstall Windows (clean) from the latest installation media. This may fix the product key issue. Otherwise, original pidgen.dll must be used from MCE2005 installation media. .NET Framework 4.0 can be unhidden in the sysoc.inf (replace ,hide,7 with ,,7 at the netfx40=... line) so that it can be installed by the Add/Remove Components Wizard if desired.

@tpao12 Regarding .NET Framework 4.0 issue, please remove all .NET Frameworks from Add/Remove Components. Restart the system and reinstall .NET Framework 3.5 first, restart, then install .NET Framework 4.0 and reboot again.

Edited by harkaz

• 9 months later...
On 1/15/2022 at 1:34 AM, harkaz said:

Update (January 13, 2022): The update pack and update rollup have been updated to fix a bug with ntoskrnl.exe file (affecting single threaded systems).

All files are now available from the Internet Archive: https://archive.org/details/xp-unofficial-sp4-jan2022_20220113

I have Win XP SP4, but I forgot the release date. and now I see the latest version released in Jan 2022.

I also see that there are several files on archive.org , such as: PATCHES-V3.1a.zip , Post-SP4 Update Pack.7z ,

My question:

1. Does the SP4-Jan-2022 file contain exactly the same contents as the old "WindowsXP-USP4-v3.1b-x86-ENU.exe"?

2. Is the file "Post-SP4 Update Pack.7z" a substitute for the file from "GH0stPak" which was released on 06Jun19?

3. If I reinstall 'xp-unofficial-sp4-jan2022_20220113', does that mean I don't need to install GH0stPak?

• 1 month later...
On 1/18/2023 at 10:45 PM, widhie75 said:

I have Win XP SP4, but I forgot the release date. and now I see the latest version released in Jan 2022.

I also see that there are several files on archive.org , such as: PATCHES-V3.1a.zip , Post-SP4 Update Pack.7z ,

My question:

1. Does the SP4-Jan-2022 file contain exactly the same contents as the old "WindowsXP-USP4-v3.1b-x86-ENU.exe"?

2. Is the file "Post-SP4 Update Pack.7z" a substitute for the file from "GH0stPak" which was released on 06Jun19?

3. If I reinstall 'xp-unofficial-sp4-jan2022_20220113', does that mean I don't need to install GH0stPak?

1. Only the update pack has been fixed so that all uniprocessor HALs are properly used. A further update of the Internet Archive distro includes dump of the RyanVM.net thread, which is about to be shutdown.

2. Yes, but unlike GH0stPak you get seamless integration of all updates for all SP4 components (i.e. dotnets)

3. GH0stPak is unrelated and unnecessary to the integration of post-SP4 update packs.

NEWS (March 4th, 2023): Due to announced RyanVM.net shutdown, all XP SP4 material - including dumps of Ryanvm.net thread are available from the alternative download location (official Internet Archive repo): https://archive.org/details/xp-unofficial-sp4-jan2022_20220113
View contents of ryanvm-archive-xpsp4-posts.7z. The SP4 MUI pack can be found only on the Internet Archive, along with everything else.

Edited by harkaz

• 1 month later...

Hi!

I would like to know is KB970158 (kernel-mode driver foundation) and 159 (user-mode) included in the SP4? I can't seem to find KB970158 anywhere.

Edit: Found the KB970158 - it's in my Avast/Setup directory; I need it for disk_eeping experiment. :-)

Edited by modnar
new development