Introducing - Unofficial Windows XP SP4

harkaz

SP4 = SP3 + Post-SP3 updates + POSReady updates until January 2016 + Stefan Kanthak's security enhancements + Some Optional components fully updated

The only thing you cannot get from Microsoft is the security enhancements pack.

Consider it similar to a "Windows 98 SE" disk. Most of the included components could be downloaded from Microsoft directly and applied to Windows 98 FE. However, there were some under-the-hood fixes which were not available for Windows 98 FE.

I agree that SP4 should be used for clean install. Clean install offers a few more security enhancements than the live install.

14 hours ago, Roffen said:

I just have to clean out the mess that my computer(s) have become, with truckloads of junk collected over the years.

+1 (same here). Reorganizing/Compressing and burning to DVD like crazy for an HDD transfer to my "new" PC.

I was unaware that you had "upgraded to SP4" a potentially boogered OLD install. If you have a SPARE (empty) HDD, I'd use THAT to start with. If you have a trojan/virus left over, you may be in for a (bad) surprise keeping anything "old" accessible to it.

I have an SP4 installlation that I am using now, latest automatic update was April 19th.

Guess that is ok, I'll just keep using it and trust that I won't have to do anything about it.

Only thing I mislike is the MOM message but I'll have to learn to live with that.

Tried reinstalling all motherboard files but that didn't change anything.

2 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Oops, Maybe I didn't uninstall, gotta try that as well. Will be back.

Yes, I reinstalled the entire ASUS motherboard support CD sans Norton... 

Edited by Roffen
cleanup of text.

The version on your support CD is probably very far from being the latest one.
I would go to AMD's site, download the latest package for your graphics hardware, uninstall the Catalyst Control Center and the graphics driver, and reinstall them using the latest package.
:)

Just want to spread the good news. Started a new session his morning, Wiped SSD disk, new start with XPSp3, AMD/ASUS chipset etc., SP4, Firefox, NoScript, Ad-Aware, ZoneAlarm (paid) SuperAntiSpyware (free), SwiftSearch and that's about all for now. Future looking bright. May be some time before you hear from me again! (If ever.) Guess I should backup to a hard drive, disconnect hard drives and I'd be safe. Even a massive attack wouldn't hurt much, it wouldnt take me long to get it all back up again.

But I don't like this: Right after the installation was up and conncted to Internet, it received some updates and I could find and read the names. But since then, I am no longer able to review updates. I go to Control Panel - Security Center - Check for latest updates, but although the mouse pointer indicate the Check link open, nothing happens. Can any Anti-this-or-that software be the cause, or what? 

If you want to know what updates were downloaded and installed, you should find them listed in your Windows System Log.
To scan for updates, go to Windows Update using the link in the Tools dropdown on Internet Explorer.
Select custom rather than automatic.
:)

Seems I have an IE problem.

Trying to view updates, I am told to use higher than IE5 . Trying to install IE7 I am told I already  have 7 or higher. Reinstalled IE8. Stlll no good. Did something change thngs further down the road? Don't know how to open IE so I am unable to find the Tools dropdown box.

Are there any settings I have to make?  I go from Start meny to Internet -> Internet properties -> IE Settings. What am I doing wrong. I am flabbergasted, immediatly after SP4 was installed, updates and viewing updates worked just fine but now I can't see anything of that. Maybe I should reinstall everything from scratch once more? Could any of the malvare/virus protection installed be the cause of the problem?