Introducing - Unofficial Windows XP SP4

harkaz

1 hour ago, AhMeD9675 said:

I Download WindowsXP-USP4-v3.1b-x86-ENU.exe

but I do not know how should I install it !!!

i have win 10 x64 now 

please help me

Slipstream it on A XP Sp1 or higher disc with nlite (Should be untouched XP Disc)

Slipstream AHCI driver if needed go to winraid forum

Create iso

test in virtualBOX if everything goes fine then burn your iso with img burn at slowest speed or create a usb stick with winsetup from usb to install .

38 minutes ago, Dibya said:

Slipstream it on A XP Sp1 or higher disc with nlite (Should be untouched XP Disc)

Slipstream AHCI driver if needed go to winraid forum

Create iso

test in virtualBOX if everything goes fine then burn your iso with img burn at slowest speed or create a usb stick with winsetup from usb to install .

Sorry

i do not know anything about slip stream !

can i install it without any win xp from before ??

No, it's not a complete installation, it's an update for an existing Windows XP installation, the same as all service packs are.
You need to have a Windows XP installation disk, or another source of the installation media, to make a new Windows XP installation, and then update it with the service pack.
:)

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

No, it's not a complete installation, it's an update for an existing Windows XP installation, the same as all service packs are.
You need to have a Windows XP installation disk, or another source of the installation media, to make a new Windows XP installation, and then update it with the service pack.

Thanks

so what should i do when i download an iso from win xp ??

( should i install that win xp first and then run this win xp v3.1b or i should do some changes in iso ? )

2 hours ago, AhMeD9675 said:

Sorry

i do not know anything about slip stream !

can i install it without any win xp from before ??

great place to start my friend

MY latest driver pack mass storage  may be helpful in installing on newer hardware like Skylake , Haswell etc

http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?pid=59147#p59147

2 hours ago, Dibya said:

great place to start my friend

MY latest driver pack mass storage  may be helpful in installing on newer hardware like Skylake , Haswell etc

http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?pid=59147#p59147

I Just want to install win xp sp4 and after that i will install driver and apps !

i should install win xp sp3 first and after that install the .exe of sp4 3.1b ?

I take it that you've never installed an operating system from scratch before.
The drivers for your hardware will be installed when you do the OS installation, as they have to be for it to work!
Other drivers will only be installed later if you add or change hardware.
Install Windows XP SP3, and once you're completely happy that this installation is working correctly, then update it with SP4.

5 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

I take it that you've never installed an operating system from scratch before.
The drivers for your hardware will be installed when you do the OS installation, as they have to be for it to work!
Other drivers will only be installed later if you add or change hardware.
Install Windows XP SP3, and once you're completely happy that this installation is working correctly, then update it with SP4.

no my friend

i installed evrey os 

but now i don't know how to install this sp4 win xp 

please help me just for installing this :wub:

11 hours ago, AhMeD9675 said:

I Just want to install win xp sp4 and after that i will install driver and apps !

i should install win xp sp3 first and after that install the .exe of sp4 3.1b ?

Yes you can install XP sp3 then install sp4 setup exe

• 5 months later...
On 8/16/2016 at 9:42 AM, Dave-H said:

The normal way is to hover the mouse cursor on the edge of the taskbar until the cursor changes to a double arrow, and then click and drag the edge downwards.
What happens if you do that?

@Roffen

On 8/16/2016 at 9:44 PM, Roffen said:

Q: What happens if you do that?

A: Nothing.

What Dave-H mentioned is the correct way.  Once the double ended vertical arrow pops up you then hold the Left Mouse button and don't release but drag downwards slowly and it will collapse one row at a time.  While still holding the Left Mouse button going upwards will expand it.  Once you found your "perfect" setting just release the Left Mouse Button.

If for some reason this isn't working you've confirmed the Task Bar is on the bottom of the screen and the "Lock The Taskbar" when Right Clicking the Mouse button pulls up the menu is unchecked then there is seriously something wrong with your OS.  You could try rebooting the machine and going through those steps again and if it still doesn't then I would guess possibly something to do with the SP4 unless it was previously able to adjust without issues before.

On 4/20/2016 at 10:40 PM, dencorso said:

Roffen, with all due respect, whatever benefits the SP4 might bring you are obviously outweighted by the amout of grief you've already got from it.
Were I you, I'd reinstall SP3, make a full backup, apply all availble updates, make a second full backup, then add the POSReady trick and add the newly available updates, make yet another full backup, store the backups in a safe place and call it a day...
Of course, those are just my 2¢. :yes:

I'm also in agreement here on SP4.  I don't use it nor do I see the need.  Most XP software will only check for SP2 and SP3.  The SP4 for the most part is a collection of security updates which even on SP3 I haven't once been hijacked using Firefox whereas it did happen with Internet Explorer like a boat with a new hole that pops up once another is plugged.  The user is the usually the only one to infect themself by opening or running a file or downloaded attachment not knowing if it is legit and take the risk.  However I find it unlikely if you're surfing Youtube and other legal sites banking or doing normal things only a badly led search engine result to some unknown site is the only way possible that it could happen but FireFox from my experience has never gotten infected that way although it is not impossible.  The other thing you may not have the ability to do now is image your OS during its freshly installed state since it has already been in use since then but had a clean image been done restoring it is so much easier than trying to eradicate and fix it post infection.  Although on a number of occasions I didn't and just decided for fun to fix it manually to see if it was still functional despite trace elements still in my registry.

There are alternative ways to install your OS from scratch to pretty much proof it from such catastrophes with long downtimes once infected or the OS is hosed but probably beyond the scope of time I'd like to get into.  I also had witnessed you went with the bootloader of Jaclaz's choice and I saw the extensive amount of time both spent setting that up and my method would overwrite that.  I am surprised you both had the stamina to keep that up going for 7 pages.

I'm more on the other end just making it as simple and efficient as possible while maintaining full compatibility and unnecessary patching.  If you had an original 98SE CD, an XP CD with SP3 slipstreamed, a USB Floppy Drive and Floppy disk, all XP drivers to your devices, and a DOS imaging program you have all the tools necessary to make an id*iot proof XP recovery solution should it get infected and would only take possibly a few minutes to restore the image compared to the amount of hours going through all that BS and starting all over from scratch after being infected.  Another image could be made after all drivers were installed successfully, then a Final image with all your software programs installed.   This final image would usually be your usual restore image to get back to an uninfected state with all things working.

Depending on how large your XP SP4 install is I'm not entirely sure how much extra bloat vs a clean nLited XP SP3 which is the best way to deal with XP.  I'd combine that with Netlimiter which does somewhat of a version of UAC in a sense and controls what apps get what sort of internet bandwidth usage but more importantly if any program requests internet access that was never authorized (usually some malware with some completely random filename) will ask for permission first unless you make it a trusted program such as Firefox.  The Zone Alarm version I had used in the past but at one point it stopped working or became incompatible with Windows 2000 or XP and crashed the OS from booting or something and I sort of abandoned it.  And regarding another post about Office 2000 or 2003.  Depending on what Office programs you really need to use if you're just a Word and Excel user and don't use PowerPoint you could easily use Word 97 for most of your tasks.  The only problem is when someone is using Office 2016 and they forget to save the document as Office 97 format or older so you won't be able to open it.  They on the other hand have no problem opening up your documents.  If you are a PowerPoint user I didn't see much need to go beyond Office 2003 which still worked on XP and actually made PowerPoint a little easier (less repetitive tasks) to use than previous versions of Office 2000 and Office 97.

On 4/22/2016 at 1:01 AM, Roffen said:

I am not always able to understand all that is being said by you guys here. I realize that you are accustomed to your shoptalk and I often feel like lost in the woods. I think SP4 may be good for me, I just have to clean out the mess that my computer(s) have become, with truckloads of junk collected over the years. When I've saved what little that still may be of some value I'll make a new installation. I hope that will make life a little better for me. I have too many hard disks, too many partitions and too much storage space. With duplicates, triplicates and quadruplicates of files just to be safe, a thorough purge is required.

73 and CUL :D

Speaking of Shop Talk...

On 4/22/2016 at 11:19 PM, Roffen said:

I have an SP4 installlation that I am using now, latest automatic update was April 19th.

Guess that is ok, I'll just keep using it and trust that I won't have to do anything about it.

Only thing I mislike is the MOM message but I'll have to learn to live with that.

Tried reinstalling all motherboard files but that didn't change anything.

Now I'm not sure what this MOM message is you are referring to but if the acronym matches a well known parent it's best to spell it out or identify M.O.M. =?

So far no DAD messages have popped up on my XP.

Got a snapshot?

I can only guess you meant some sort of Windows nag screen but I could be mistaken.

Edited by 98SE