Introducing - Unofficial Windows XP SP4

harkaz

If you look under Help>About Internet Explorer on IE, what version does it actually say you've got?
IE8 is the highest version for XP.
If it is indeed IE7 or IE8 you have installed, it may be that the Windows Update components are missing or corrupted.
:)

So Windows Update is working normally it seems!
If you do a manual check presumably it shows no updates available?
Updates usually only come once a month, on the so-called "Patch Tuesday" which is the second Tuesday of the month, so I wouldn't expect to see any more now until May 10th unless there is an emergency patch release for any reason.

• 1 month later...

Seems I am unable to navigate the XP SP4 thread so I try posting here instead.

Checking my XP-Sp4 update status, I don't see any updates since april 27. I believe that was a bunch of updates made immediately after I installed the XP-SP4. I power off my computer every night, should I keep it online 24/7 to make sure updates may be installed, or are there just no new updates available yet?

4 hours ago, Roffen said:

Seems I am unable to navigate the XP SP4 thread so I try posting here instead.

Checking my XP-Sp4 update status, I don't see any updates since april 27. I believe that was a bunch of updates made immediately after I installed the XP-SP4. I power off my computer every night, should I keep it online 24/7 to make sure updates may be installed, or are there just no new updates available yet?

The updates from May 10th should be available, and you shouldn't need to keep your computer on 24/7 to receive them, unless your system is bogged down by something else. If you set Windows Update to install updates automatically, perhaps try checking the Windows Update site itself. If it finds nothing, and you can verify that the May updates definitely are not installed, make sure you have the POSReady registry flag installed.

@Roffen

It should be ensured that the following 2 keys do not exist in the registry, may need to be deleted:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\WEPOS]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\WES]

the following keys must remain respectively be present:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\POSReady]

Note:
All entries in the Reg Key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA" can while XP is running not delete. To delete entries you need a boot medium where a Reg Editor can access the registry of the operating system. (For example ERD Commander or Kaspersky Rescue Disk)

I still have those first two keys on my system, and I'm still getting the updates.
The "Installed" DWORD is set to "0" on both of them.
It does look as if just the presence of those keys does not cause a problem, unlike the WindowsEmbedded key, which did.

All right, I have another machine with Sp4 and its update status is good up to and including today (May 30).

The registry looks similar on both machines.

But this one doesn't want to upgrade even when asked to. Its update history is:

April 27, 2 updates.

April 29, 1 update.

May 11, 7 updates.

Edited by Roffen
The date difference May 10 vs. 11, perhaps because I am in Europe?

Yes, I'm in Europe too, and I don't usually get the updates until the Wednesday of the patch rollout week.
Why do you think that there should have been more updates since May 11th?
I wouldn't expect to see any more until June 14th, which will probably actually be June 15th in our case.

• 3 weeks later...

There is something wrong with my SP4 wrt updating. I left the machine on last night but nothing new to be seen.

The update record shows updates April 27 and 29, and May 11.

Since then, nothing. But local time is only 08:00 (8 AM), that would be 06:00 GMT June 15 2016

Do I have to reinstall?

EDIT:

At last, the updates arrived. Hooray!

Edited by Roffen