Introducing - Unofficial Windows XP SP4

harkaz

I installed SP4 v2 but not 100% trouble free. Near the end, where the registry is backed up it looked like it was stuck but dong some snooping with the mouse, it eventually got to the end.

So I don't know what errors or problems may be lurking in there.

I hope I can install Norwegian keyboard, the US version is troublesome.

Besides MS updates until 2019, I don't know what SP4 can do for me.

Is it worth the trouble?

I'll have to sleep on it.

Edited by Roffen

I don't know why some people go talking horrible talks wants to rename it to feature pack. Unofficial service pack updates all windows xp version without embedded. Unless you are having a special version of xp sp3  those will not affect you . IF a hd movie can be more than 2gb so that problem with 992mbis. Usp4 come with lot of fixes and improvement for xp.You guys should aplaude harkaz effefort. He was a student of medical science but doing lot for windows xp in spare time. You should love his creation. If Windows 7 take about 15 gb in firtst installation what wrong with 2.5Gb space  requirement.
If you donot like uSP4 then make your own Servicepack. Please donot underestimate somebody or donot do something that can cause somebodies confident , hardwork to be ruined in his mind. Harkaz is a genius.

I tested SP4 v3.1a with Windows XP Professional and the results have been excellent.  Technical achievements aside, there’s a lot of common sense applied in the whole approach, and I think it clear that wise decisions were made in the implementation.  I am favorably impressed with the results of this project.

Having integrated this unofficial service pack using nLite, installation proceeds without issue.  The OS performs smoothly and feels fast.

I ran a familiar benchmark using a Z97 mainboard and i7-4790K CPU operating at 4.6GHz:

post-375408-0-07145800-1455087472_thumb.

sorry to say but it looks more junkware than "Service Pack"

How exactly did you come to that conclusion?

LOL  Don't encourage him.  Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and he is more of a minimalist, which is perfectly fine if you don't need any of the features and improvements, such as safety and compatibility, which SP4 provides.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

i read the document sheet creator wrote ?

bphlpt: stability and security comes from hotfixes, not additional features

-------

its like saying win98 is more stable if you install PLUS pack

or vista runs stabler if you put ultimate extras on it

say what ?

Am I missing something here, I thought Service Pack 4 included hotfixes, as well as the patch to allow future ones to be offered from Windows Update for hopefully several more years?

This reminds me of the row a few years ago over on the Windows 98 board about a new Service Pack, which was accused of having the same issue, actually being more bloatware than a worthwhile security enhancement.

The answer then was the same as the answer now, all features are optional.

If you don't want some or all of any non-security extras offered, don't install them, simple as that!

:yes:

@Vinifera. Usp4 includes all dotnet fx and other few stuff which were tweaked such a level that none of them can cause any problem. all stufs are optional , you only need to use required oc patches. I think :huh:  you might gone mad actually .All secuirity enhencement are reg fixes .PLEASE Go to clinic of a doctor who can repair broken processor  ,hardisk, ram,mobo of your head. :realmad: Donot think your self most intelligent person in this world.

We had the same complains when Microsoft released SP1, SP2 and SP3 originally. If you don't want to upgrade then please don't install the SP. Noone is forcing you to upgrade (except Microsoft pushing Windows 10 to Windows 7 users).

Edited by Acheron

@Vinifera. Usp4 includes all dotnet fx and other few stuff which were tweaked such a level that none of them can cause any problem. all stufs are optional , you only need to use required oc patches. I think :huh:  you might gone mad actually .All secuirity enhencement are reg fixes .PLEASE Go to clinic of a doctor who can repair broken processor  ,hardisk, ram,mobo of your head. :realmad: Donot think your self most intelligent person in this world.

says the guy who doesn't bother knowing what is inside

says the guy who doesn't bother knowing what is inside

@vinifera: Will you please drop it? You've already shown you bile and dissatisfaction, as always.

It's not constructive, and changes nothing. People's projects, specially those for free like SP4 are a gift of their creators to the community. Nobody is forced to use 'em nor to like 'em. But sterile criticism adds nothing. You're not pleased? Go ahead and create your own alternative SP4. Or let sleeping dogs lie.

• 4 weeks later...

IMPORTANT NOTICE FOR XP SP4 USERS:

Microsoft has changed its WU update detection strategy.

The following key must be removed to continue receiving automatic updates from WU:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WindowsEmbedded

A reg file is available at the first post to automate the process.

v3.1a users don't need to do anything more than that.

A new v3.1b version will be released soon with this change, just for new installs. No other updates will be added.

Edited by harkaz

@harkaz

Thank you for the reg info, it worked perfectly.

Just for info: the "sp4_march16_wufix.reg" file in your cloud folder addresses

-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\WindowsEmbedded

Your manual registry edit addresses ...\CurrentControlSet\...

I manually edited the latter path and it worked.

Thanks again ®