Introducing - Unofficial Windows XP SP4

harkaz

Try to remove .NET Framework completely:

1. Use Add/remove components to remove all installed .NET Framework versions.

2. Run the .NET Framework cleanup tool to remove any MSI remnants.

I haven't reproduced your issue in VM.

I fixed the problem by removing XPS viewer which removed net framework 3.5 with it!

One of them was the culprit.

Yes, reinstalling Windows is the best way to fix everything.

If you don't use .NET Framework try installing with .NET FW 1.1 and .NET FW 3.5 disabled by default - use the patched netfx11.inf and netfx35.inf files for this purpose. These files can be found in the Patches cloud folder.

Edited by harkaz

Yes, reinstalling Windows is the best way to fix everything.

If you don't use .NET Framework try installing with .NET FW 1.1 and .NET FW 3.5 disabled by default - use the patched netfx11.inf and netfx35.inf files for this purpose. These files can be found in the Patches cloud folder.

The true and final fix is by deleting these registry entries which are related to Excel 2010:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\FileType\{00020820-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\FileType\{00020821-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\FileType\{00020830-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}]

And I can confirm it to you, this problem only occured after I installed windows xp sp4 .

But what the relation between Excel 2010 and right clicking/copying files with unknown types?

Edited by jaffar

@herbalist Unfortunately, the great size of SP4 can be a disadvantage. Howewer, I'll try to help anyone willing to remove some of its components by publishing the source files used to build the SP4 (except for the certificate used to digitally sign all updated files).

You can modify the update.inf and the other information files, so that they contain only the necessary files for your needs. I have left my comments in the INF files intact (except for the layout/txtsetup/dosnet ones) specifically for that purpose- to help you customizing these files.

There is no perfect solution for any problem. I have tried to make SP4 fully customizable but, on the other hand, only advanced users will have the skills to complete the task.

Have you checked with the guy who compiled the unofficial Windows 2000 update?  I remember he'd mentioned that the installer was trunkating some long registry entries.

@Phenomic Fortuunately I haven't experienced such issues with the latest version of the package installer.

PS.  Gurgelmeyer, the 2k USP5 developer, has disappeared since 2006

The unofficial win2k update project is still up and running, updated kernel, etc.  It uses some XP components, so I thought their experience might be useful to you.

This fixit file MUST be used ONLY BY THOSE WHO DOWNLOADED AND INSTALLED THE 28 OCTOBER 2014 FINAL VERSION:

http://www.adrive.com/public/prkHTM/netfx35_fixit.reg

It fixes issues with .NET Framework 3.5 servicing!

A new version of SP4 Final is being uploaded to address this specific issue.

Edited by harkaz

Windows XP SP4 Source Files have been uploaded to Google Drive. You can download the rar file there and examine these files if you want to create a similar service pack for another language or with a different set of components.

No documentation is provided. Use your own software publishing certificate to digitally sign the modified/updated files.

I can't filed the file to download: WindowsXP-USP4-NOPOS-x86-ENU.exe

Looked in all of these locations:

Create 6 Bootable Floppy Disks Oct 16
Documentation Oct 7
ISO for SP4 Installer Oct 16
Patched Files Oct 7
Post-SP4 Update Pack Oct 16
Post-SP4 Update Repository Oct 16
Torrent Oct 29
Unofficial SP4 Source FilesNov 4
URLMON Nov 5
Without post-EOL Update Support Oct 16

Where is the iso to download?

Removing this key fixes an issue with time reporting in some applications: 

HKLM,"System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment","TZ",0,"MEZ-1MESZ-2"

The next, upcoming SP4 Final fix will address this isue, as well as Office 2007 and Rosebud 12 regression issues.

Download hashes and torrent for the fixed Final version are available.

This version of SP4 Final has undergone extensive testing. It has been tested successfully in the following scenario:

Clean Install -> Install .NET Framework 4.0 -> Install Visual Studio 2005 Standard ENU-> Run Microsoft Update and install all updates -> Install Visual Studio 2008 Profesional ENU -> Run Microsoft Update and install updates (these include some Office 2007 ones) -> Install Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate -> Run Microsoft Update and install updates.

All components have been serviced successfully.

This version fixes:

- A time zone issue reported by GH0st
- An important problem with WIC in CD-ROM installations. This would cause several .NET programs to crash.
- Regression issue with Rosebud 12 and Office 2007 servicing.
- urlmon.dll is missing after slipstreaming.