Introducing - Unofficial Windows XP SP4

harkaz

Tried the unofficial SP4 via slipstreaming route (using /integrate switch) on a VOLUME edition of XP SP3 source. Then I created a bootable ISO and installed XP from it. Installation went fine until it asked for a product key. It rejected all volume keys; it only took retail keys. Otherwise installation was successful.

Turns out the slipstream process contains retail copies of pidgen.dll and dpcdll.dl_ and overwrite whatever are present in the XP source.

I restored the said files from the original (volume) XP SP3 CD to the integrated source, and retried. This time it recognized volume keys and installation was successful.

This is a known problem when slipstreaming from with a vista + OS. we have experienced that for quite a long while with nlite since sp3 came out.

Windows XP Unofficial SP4 Final is now available.

Some files are still uploading and will be available in a few hours. Windows XP SP4 installer is currently available in the form of two ISOs.

IMPORTANT! STOP downloading unless you want to test only!

A new Final version with improved .NET Framework CD-ROM installation will be uploaded soon!

I removed the torrent file and I will replace the GDrive EXE files very soon.

Details: Lodctrs failed in some .NET Framework updates - will change the way .NET Framework lodctr is run during Windows setup, lodctrs will be executed in T13 now!

Forgive me if I missed it. I see you mentioned including several versions of net framework and have also mentioned uninstallers for them. Are the net framework versions optional installs? If not, could they be made optional? For those who don't use or want it, it makes more sense than installing, then removing it.

After installing SP4 now explorer.exe crashes when I try to copy (ctrl+c) a file from (C:\Documents and Settings\my name\Local Settings\Temp) or sometimes when I right click a file in the desktop and other folders!!

@jaffar Any errors in the event log?

@herbalist The live installer installs the default set of SP4 components, including .NET Framework 3.5 and 1.1. I don't plan to change this behaviour in the (next) final release.

@jaffar Any errors in the event log?

@herbalist The live installer installs the default set of SP4 components, including .NET Framework 3.5 and 1.1. I don't plan to change this behaviour in the (next) final release.

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Winlogon
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1002
Date: 26/10/2014
Time: 12:51:31 AM
User: N/A
Computer: JAFFAR
Description:
The shell stopped unexpectedly and Explorer.exe was restarted.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.