Admin , not admin? (W8.1)

epic

I've been searcing for the fix, but everything I've tried doesn't resolve the issue. I forget what I had done on Windows 8 to lift this restriction.

The account is Administrator, yet I'm still being prompted that I do not have sufficient priveledges. Take for example /system32/drivers/etc directroy. When I right click any file or just on a blank area within explorer, the context menu displays the blue/yellow shield. Also, if I try to edit, (ie: Textpad), any file within the directory it tells me access denied. In order to edit the files I need to either change the editor to run as administrator, or right click and run as admnistrator.

Do not use UAC, it's completely disable.

secpol.msc ; local policy / security options

2jcbh4h.jpg

I'm sure there are other examples, but it's been a long while since I've encountered this issue and resolved it.

need to take ownship on the file /directory and then add access

http://www.iup.edu/itsupportcenter/howTo.aspx?id=24773

The link you provided is not relavent to this issue, that link is a specific college directory access. Besides, I've never had to change security perms for /etc, its always been system.

To add from my op:

Problem occurs with applications installed on the C:\ drive. Permissions are there, WIndows is not loading applications as administrator, as they should be by default.

Also occurs on applications: itype.exe and many others... in order for them to run correctly they must be run withing win+r with admin privs... shouldn't have to do this for anything, nor select each app and "run as administrator," since the user account is the administrator of the pc!

Previous post regarding some applications NOT booting from startup (requested deletion as basically double post):

Experiencing some applications not starting up during boot.I use gamma control to correct my old lcd display.http://desktopnerds.com/product-gammacontrolProgram is listed in startup and would not load on boot, so, I then added it within the Run entry under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersionApplication starts fine when navigating to the startup folder and manually launching it from there.Windows 8.1 Pro.
Edited by epic

The link you provided is not relavent to this issue, that link is a specific college directory access. Besides, I've never had to change security perms for /etc, its always been system.

Sure it does. The owner of the etc folder (by your example) is TrustedInstaller. Did you try to take ownership of that folder (and child objects) and see if your problem is resolved?

Sure it does. The owner of the etc folder (by your example) is TrustedInstaller. Did you try to take ownership of that folder (and child objects) and see if your problem is resolved?

Incorrect. Never had to change permissions on the /etc (or other) folder, in this example, and IS completely irrelevent to what I had asked.

Do not use UAC, it's completely disable.

Did you do that by setting EnableLUA to 0 in the registry?

If not, it's not completely disabled.

-Noel

THANK YOU! This is exactly what I was looking for.

Edited by epic

For those interested in EnableLUA you can find a great explaination here:

Yep, that will break Store apps as well since it sets all administrators to behave like the "Elevated" built-in Administrator account that has UAC completely disabled as above with EnableLUA set to 0.

If you do not care about, nor use, Windows apps or store. EnableLUA resolves the problem of having to run some applications and access some directories, which require elevation.

**I would LOVE to see a stripped version of Windows 8 WITHOUT (no metro) these ridiculous Windows "store" and "apps" totally useless applications. Especially within a business, corporate, enviroment.

The adminstrator account you create or setup during installation, is an "unelevated" administrator" account. Anything that requires "elevation" to run, you will need to grant permission first when prompted by UAC. It's done to prevent anything (ex: malware) from running "elevated" with unrestricted full access to everything on the computer without you being notified by UAC to say "Yes" or "No" for it to run elevated. That's all.

source: http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/9872-uac-metro-apps.html#post121852

The way Microsoft implemented UAC is hogwash. They ought to integrate a prompt requesting the user to enter a password, as linux does (very inobtrusive), when trying to run or access a directory. Having to right click and then select "run as administrator," or setting the properties of the executable to run as administrator, on applications and directories is ridiculous and a waste of time. Even if you do set some applications to run as administrator they still do not have the proper elevation and break, and the only solution is to DISABLE EnableLUA completely.

Some useful links:

http://www.eightforums.com/system-security/5160-tutorial-how-make-windows-8-understand-you-administrator.html

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/0aeac9d8-3591-4294-b13e-825705b27730/how-to-disable-uac?forum=winserversecurity

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11277065/check-uac-status

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9572248/how-do-i-disable-uac-using-windows-powershell

Edited by epic

FYI, I've been running Windows 8.1 as a desktop-only system since last year, with EnableLUA disabled. My system is stable and fast, and everything works. There are really no problems with doing this (I consider not being able to run the Metro/Modern BS a bonus, not a negative).

UAC doesn't really protect people much anyway, since virtually everyone gets in the habit of clicking through so that they can run what they want. However, may I suggest, to augment your system security that you do these things:

• Install the MVPS hosts file to block thousands of parasite web sites. These sites deliver ads and malware, and never even allowing their servers to be contacted by your system is a SUPER way to insulate yourself from them.
  • Reconfigure Internet Explorer to not run ActiveX from the Internet Zone, but only from the Trusted Sites zone. Since there are browsers that don't allow ActiveX, many sites can run just fine with scripting only. Even then, there are configuration settings that limit what scripts can do. Sweep through the entire security settings block for the Internet Zone and lock it down.
  • Get a better anti-malware package than Microsoft provides. It doesn't have to be an intergalactic solution, just have good shields for blocking malware from getting on your disk or coming in via eMail or the web. This is strictly a safety net. With the above two changes malware will almost never get into your system to start with.
  • Last but not least, practice healthy computing habits. If you are prone to testing and trying out a lot of downloaded software, get a virtualization system set up - e.g., VMware workstation or maybe even use Windows' own Hypervisor. Test in a Virtual Machine, and only when you've vetted new software, then install it on your host system.
  • DON'T ever run any "cleaner" applications. You don't need them! I have run Windows for years without "cleaning my registry", and they were just as fast the day they were upgraded as when they were first installed. If you want to keep your system maintained, occasionally have a look for extra temporary files having accumulated in your TEMP folder, and rid your system of them. That's trivial to do - it doesn't require a cleaner application! Those are almost exclusively snake oil. You wouldn't let a stranger come into your house and just delete whatever he wants from your computer and registry would you? And also get the freeware tool Autoruns and watch all the extra junkware that various applications install. Much of it is unneeded. But only YOU can decide that, not some pre-packaged application.

-Noel

• DON'T ever run any "cleaner" applications. You don't need them! I have run Windows for years without "cleaning my registry", and they were just as fast the day they were upgraded as when they were first installed. If you want to keep your system maintained, occasionally have a look for extra temporary files having accumulated in your TEMP folder, and rid your system of them. That's trivial to do - it doesn't require a cleaner application! Those are almost exclusively snake oil. You wouldn't let a stranger come into your house and just delete whatever he wants from your computer and registry would you? And also get the freeware tool Autoruns and watch all the extra junkware that various applications install. Much of it is unneeded. But only YOU can decide that, not some pre-packaged application.

-Noel

Agree with everything you've said, but the last bit. Should use Cleaners along with regular maintenance (ie: ccleaner), to remove temp files, mri, and many others. I'd only recommend reg cleaners for people that are technically savvy; though, usually, well known ones (ie: ccleaner) actually do a good job removing broken keys after a program uninstall. WIndows does NOT remove everything when you uninstall a program.

Edited by epic