Windows defender or Microsoft security Essentials

See these (one after the other) and follow the links inside -

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/securitytipstalk/archive/2010/08/26/microsoft-security-essentials-vs-windows-defender.aspx

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/tech-helproom/4210397/microsoft-security-essentials-vs-windows-defender/

According to those, the Win8 version is, in essence, Essentials but Defender (older) is only AntiMalware thus Essentials is "more than just that" (to paraphrase).

See these (one after the other) and follow the links inside -

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/securitytipstalk/archive/2010/08/26/microsoft-security-essentials-vs-windows-defender.aspx

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/tech-helproom/4210397/microsoft-security-essentials-vs-windows-defender/

According to those, the Win8 version is, in essence, Essentials but Defender (older) is only AntiMalware thus Essentials is "more than just that" (to paraphrase).

Thanks for the links :yes: they helped me bring me closer to my choice.

Its just a name change, but MsSecEs is a updated Windows Defender... renamed (go with latest because it does network detection, av and antimalware)

One more thing though. My current setup is Defender, Avast, Malwarebytes. I know that having two active antivirus programs are bad, though I never heard that two anti-spyware programs would conflict (maybe with real time protection). If I upgrade to essentials will I need to disable avast to prevent conflicts.

You should only have ONE software firewall and only ONE real time AV active at any time. It is perfectly OK to have as many on demand AV programs available as you want. I would take the same approach for anti-spyware apps in order to minimize the likelihood of possible conflicts and for performance reasons. It just makes sense to minimize the number of active processes you have running at any given time, but have as many as you want available for on demand use. Depending on the AV you choose to use, some of them have anti-spyware functions built it as well.

So yes, as I understand it, Avast and Essentials would/could conflict, and I think you should only run one. Personally, I think that "upgrade to Essentials" is a misnomer, and you might be better off with another choice, but then I tend to not trust any of MS's security "solutions".

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

You should only have ONE software firewall and only ONE real time AV active at any time. It is perfectly OK to have as many on demand AV programs available as you want. I would take the same approach for anti-spyware apps in order to minimize the likelihood of possible conflicts and for performance reasons. It just makes sense to minimize the number of active processes you have running at any given time, but have as many as you want available for on demand use. Depending on the AV you choose to use, some of them have anti-spyware functions built it as well.

So yes, as I understand it, Avast and Essentials would/could conflict, and I think you should only run one. Personally, I think that "upgrade to Essentials" is a misnomer, and you might be better off with another choice, but then I tend to not trust any of MS's security "solutions".

Cheers and Regards

Thanks for your response. I have both a router firewall and use windows firewall, since I'm too lazy to set up a third party one on this computer (I know that not smart but I see windows firewall as good enough). I'm gonna keep defender so I can have a real time protection anti-spyware program, and use Malwarebytes as a scanner. Thanks for all of your help.

Ummm... Defender is not the Full MSE and installing MSE -should- "disable" Defender so only MSE's Real-Time Trojan/AV modules don't conflict. IOW, MSE is -supposed- to be a -better- Defender. ;) BTW, which Avast do you have, the "free" Antivirus? I don't remember if it's Real-Time or not. :unsure: That would be the main thing in addition to GOOD detection rate. Be aware that -any- Real-Time is going to (probably) run as a Service and "slog" you computer some (obviously). Oh, and -most- AntiVirus Solutions -usually- disable Defender as well.

HTH

It is perfectly OK to have as many on demand AV programs available as you want.[1]

[1] In theory.

In practice, with the notable exception of Clamwin (and possibly a few others) each and every AntiVirus will want to install and then attempt to take full control of your machine, installing to it any among a zillion services, most of which unneeded, not useful or related to Real Time scanning and/or botching any concurrent similar services and/or botching your OS install for good.

So you actually need "portable" versions of these AV's that you are going to use on demand only.

Good luck if you are going to attempt taming bloatmasters® like Panda or Norton (only to name a few, not that other brands are much better).

jaclaz

BTW, which Avast do you have, the "free" Antivirus? I don't remember if it's Real-Time or not.

I have the latest Free avast (2014), and avast free does give real time support thankfully (use avast also for Win Me). Another thankful thing is that avast didnt try to kill Defender yet so now I have real time anti-virus and anti-spyware.

Also what is the actual difference of security level of the different levels of avast. The Internet security and Premier just seem like bloat. http://www.avast.com/en-us/index

Good luck if you are going to attempt taming bloatmasters® like Panda or Norton (only to name a few, not that other brands are much better).

Norton killed my games on my computer before I went from 7 to vista. I'm thinking of downgrading from avast 2014 to 4.8 after I learn how to kill nag windows with Ollydbg.

Norton killed my games...

Well, fair warning, that -if- you mean it flagged a module as a virus/trojan, quite a number of AntiVirus erroneously do that to any UPX-compressed files. I go the "risky" route and have my Symantec disabled and use it on-demand, along with MBAM and Spybot.

I'm not so sure you -might- be slogging down your PC by having two Real-Time services running. If not, it's all good - if so, you may have to take a chance on the Avast instead (disable Defender). One would "assume" it would provide for anti-spyware From Avast 2014

Download avast! Free Antivirus and anti-spyware protection for Windows 8, 7, Vista, and XP.

It -does- claim that.

Edited by submix8c

Download avast! Free Antivirus and anti-spyware protection for Windows 8, 7, Vista, and XP.

It -does- claim that.

Interesting! Submix8c do you know of a good site to test the spyware detection of avast and defender. ( Don't worry I'm not afraid of killing this computer despite it being a main along side my Me computer. It has no important info on it anyway )