Alternative methods to change OS boot on Dual Boot.

Dogway

For thirty plus years when you press the a key on a keyboard it has sent the exact same a "code " remotes and game controllers didn't even exist when this code was setup.

Similarly the bios hasn't changed until last year.

I understand what you want but the original code just is not there in other devices a down key on a keyboard sends a down command while a down button on a remote or controller or moving a mouse down does not send the same base down. Other commands are sent.

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

BIOS code has never supported anything but keyboard. Here's a topic referencing Scancodes - the BIOS has to "detect" what key is pressed in order to perfom it's magic. Much like the "programmable calculators" (Motorola, I believe) there is Firmware for detection of a KEY that is pressed - other devices have no such facility. How many times would you click on a mouse to get, say, F11?

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/171136-disable-the-web-key-on-keyboard/

Remember, the BIOS has a rudimentary BINARY PROGRAM CODE. ;)

Google e.g. "scancodes keyboard" (no quote) to get the gist of the detection stuff.

If you had a parallel port :w00t: you could use WWBMU:

http://lab1.de/Central/Software/System-Tools/WWBMU/

Or basically since normally BIOS does not support any other device but a keyboard (and yes a numeric keypad is technically a small keyboard) you have to load *something* (a bootmanager, a BIOS extension, a small OS, etc.) capable of supporting *something else* (i.e. *any* non-keyboard) as user input method.

XOSL is a "traditional" bootmanager that has mouse support, as an example:

xosl_boot.gif

However, and just for the record, there is also the possibility of touchscreen :w00t::

http://www.gigabyte.com/MicroSite/279/images/mb-z68-touch-bios.html

jaclaz

Or basically since normally BIOS does not support any other device but a keyboard (and yes a numeric keypad is technically a small keyboard)

And it just makes you wonder what from all the HID devices standing of a shelf are "validated" as a keyboard. That's basically the basic gist of my question.

examples:

link

link

Hopefully you get my point.

edit: as for third party boot managers, I'm always open to suggestions, since with current 7's I can't really load XP with flags.

Edited by Dogway

Ok, maybe we need a further step.

The BIOS only recognizes a keyboard device and only if connected through the "old" DIN bus or more recently the PS/2 one, whilst most implementation (which as a matter of fact often fail/cause issues) on more recent BIOSes add an additional layer (which is sometimes referred in BIOS as "USB legacy support") that is more like a "converting the USB keyboard to a PS/2" than anything else.

Each and every "wireless" (no matter if radio, infrared, bluetooth or whatever technology) keyboard is (or should be) for all the BIOS knows a "normal", wired keyboard.

If you prefer, any device that is called keyboard presents itself to the BIOS as a keyboard, in the case of wireless keyboards such as the ones you posted a link to, it is the key that is inserted in the USB port that declares itself as "keyboard" (this is what the BIOS is looking for and the only thing that matters to it), and how exactly the USB key communicates (and couples, etc.) with the actual remote things with keys is essentially out of the interest of BIOS.

To all effects for the BIOS those "internet remote/keyboards" are just like plain, conventional USB keyboards.

jaclaz

Probably is the keyboard "side" (lit. and fig.) the part that validates the remote control as useable in BIOS. These things are expensive but they definitely look the thing to go for Dual Boot HTPC, Steam must go to Win7, that's the basic constraint.

Thanks for help.

..., it is the key that is inserted in the USB port that declares itself as "keyboard" (this is what the BIOS is looking for and the only thing that matters to it), ...

Probably is the keyboard "side" (lit. and fig.) the part that validates the remote control as useable in BIOS.

Perfect.

jaclaz

Each and every "wireless" (no matter if radio, infrared, bluetooth or whatever technology) keyboard is (or should be) for all the BIOS knows a "normal", wired keyboard.

I was surprised by this just last week. I am working on a custom appliance and it uses a wireless/BT keyboard. I did not expect that I could enter the BIOS using it but it works just fine.

I was surprised by this just last week. I am working on a custom appliance and it uses a wireless/BT keyboard. I did not expect that I could enter the BIOS using it but it works just fine.

Just for the record (and FYI) on "particular" setups (like "Kiosk" or similar) a keyboard terminator has been widely (and traditionally) in use to avoid the "Missing Keyboard, press F1 to resume" error or some of the similar ones:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=22422

jaclaz

:

Just for the record (and FYI) on "particular" setups (like "Kiosk" or similar) a keyboard terminator has been widely (and traditionally) in use to avoid the "Missing Keyboard, press F1 to resume" error or some of the similar ones:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=22422

jaclaz

:

Interesting. I wish I had known about that BSOD issue earlier. I remember some years ago having to help someone troubleshoot why their Server 2003 would BSOD at boot when hooked up to a KVM but not when a keyboard and monitor were directly connected.