Yet another snow storm!

Flasche

http://www.weather.com/safety/winter/winter-storm-rex-forecast-20140216

Pray us luck here in Pennsylvanian we ran out of spots to place it. Infact the snow on my porch goes up to my waist! (I'm 5-8)

Although a warmer weather pattern will soon take over in the central and eastern U.S., we have to get through one more winter storm before that happens. Winter Storm Rex, the 18th named storm of the 2013-14 winter storm season, has been moving through the Midwest and will sweep into the Northeast Monday night and Tuesday.

(MORE: Spring Fever This Week | Winter Storm Rex Live Ticker)

Rex has proven quite the spectacle in parts of the Midwest, with thundersnow reported in Iowa, Illinois, and Indiana Monday. Here's what you need to know about the rest of Winter Storm Rex's journey.
Background
Current Radar
Current Radar

VIEW INTERACTIVE RADAR

Background
Winter Weather Alerts
Winter Weather Alerts
Background
Monday Night Forecast
Monday Night Forecast
Background
Tuesday Forecast
Tuesday Forecast
Background
48-Hour Snowfall Forecast
48-Hour Snowfall Forecast
Midwest

What's already happened: Rex Snow, Ice Totals | State-by-State Impacts
Snow forecast: Storm total accumulations of 4 to 8 inches are expected across much of Wisconsin, Michigan, northern Illinois and northern Indiana. Much of this will come down in a relatively short period of time with snowfall rates of 1 to 2 inches per hour in some places. Thundersnow has been reported in parts of Illinois and Indiana and may extend into parts of Ohio and far southern Michigan. Lighter amounts surrounding this area; see inset map for details.
Ice forecast: Only patchy minor amounts of freezing rain remain from central Indiana to western Ohio Monday evening. A few icy spots are possible.
Timing of onset: Sweeping across Ohio and far eastern Michigan Monday evening. For the rest of the Midwest, the event has already begun.
Precipitation ends: By midnight Monday night for most of Wisconsin, Illinois, and Indiana. Generally between midnight and sunrise Tuesday morning in Michigan and Ohio, but a few flakes could still be falling in northeast Ohio into the daylight hours Tuesday morning.
Winds: Southeasterly to southwesterly winds as high as 15 to 30 mph in parts of the Great Lakes region.
Impact: Snow covered roads. A few bands of heavier snow (1 to 2 inches per hour) and thundersnow through Monday evening in northern Illinois, southern Wisconsin, southern Michigan and northern Indiana, leading to very poor visibility and difficult driving conditions. Outside this area, road crews should have little trouble keeping primary highways passable. Airport delays and cancellations, especially at the Chicago airports.
Cities affected: Milwaukee, Green Bay, Chicago, Indianapolis, Detroit, Dayton, Cleveland
Winter weather alerts: Upper Midwest | Central Plains/Mississippi Valley

Northeast

How much snow: Generally 1 to 5 inches in eastern West Virginia, northern Virginia, central Maryland, Delaware, and points northward, except for parts of New Hampshire and Maine where the development of a coastal low may boost totals above 6 inches. Coastal areas from Delaware to southeast Massachusetts will mix with or change to rain during the later stages of the storm. Also, totals of 6 inches or more may affect higher terrain in the Catskills, Berkshires, and southern Adirondacks.
Snow begins: Monday night in most areas, as far east as western New England (Connecticut River Valley). Tuesday morning in eastern New England, except Tuesday afternoon in central and eastern Maine.
Snow ends: By sunrise Tuesday in most of Virginia and Maryland. By midday Tuesday in western New York, most of Pennsylvania and the mountains of West Virginia. Generally Tuesday afternoon for New Jersey, eastern New York (including NYC) and western New England. Tuesday night for eastern New England.
Winds: Southeasterly to southwesterly winds of 15 to 30 mph will accompany the snow in western New York and western Pennsylvania. Somewhat lighter winds farther east, except for coastal New England where the coastal low will whip up winds of 20 to 35 mph Tuesday afternoon and Tuesday night.
Impacts: Generally a nuisance snowfall leading to slick spots on the roads. Streets and secondary roads will be snow covered in many areas. Primary routes should be in relatively good shape where appropriately plowed and treated, though safe travel speeds will likely be reduced. Somewhat higher impacts in the heavier snowfall and gustier winds in New Hampshire and Maine, where blowing snow will be more of a factor especially in open areas. Airport delays likely; some cancellations possible.
Cities affected: New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Syracuse, Roanoke
Winter weather alerts: Northeast

Rex is the Latin word for "king."

I live in Michigan too but I'm right by the lake and we have so much snow, I don't know what to do with anymore of it. Time for it all to leave now.

Glad that "supposedly" this is the last major snowstorm.

I sure hope so, where I'm located, we've received a total of 180+ inches this year. It's waaay too much. D:

Also, you live in PA? My girlfriend currently lives in Philly. She's tired of the snow as well.

Edited by Tommy

Snow is much better than heatwaves/west_nile_virus/sunburns/skin_cancer/etc...

Snow is much worse cold snaps, weakened immune system making diseases much more deadly (contrast to popular belief colds dont come from cold weather but from indoor confinement close with others) , hypothermia, frostbite and a lot more reasons why here http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/01/07/matt-yglesias-is-wrong-its-way-better-to-be-hot-than-cold/ and here http://www.thenewamerican.com/tech/environment/item/6665-heat-or-cold-which-is-more-deadly

EDIT: In case this thread turns into a debate over global warming read this first http://wattsupwiththat.com/ or watch this (video in spoiler below)

Edited by Flasche

Nice job citing. But for some reason you (or your citations) are focused solely on which *extreme* condition is "more deadly". I'm talking about daily life in colder versus hotter areas. Assuming your cited articles are correct, the assessments would flatten out quite a bit when taken back from the extremes.

More deadly diseases like malaria and west nile? Hot areas.

More infectious diseases in general? Hot areas.

More animals that want to injure/eat you? Hot areas.

Generally being sweaty/dirty most of the year? Hot areas.

Nice job citing.

I do my best :) .

But for some reason you (or your citations) are focused solely on which *extreme* condition is "more deadly"...

Thats just the way I interpreted your statement.

More deadly diseases like malaria and west nile? Hot areas.

More infectious diseases in general? Hot areas.

More animals that want to injure/eat you? Hot areas.

All three of these are because of the inviting conditions that warmer areas bring which allow life to flourish.

Generally being sweaty/dirty most of the year? Hot areas.

Thats because you can do stuff in the summer. In order to do activities in the winter you must be bundled up. You must bring MANY layers of clothing not just do to the weather, but so you don't over heat constantly taking layers of clothing on and off. As a camper I now that cold weather and symptoms can happen at ANY TIME of the year. The second coldest night I have ever spent was a late spring camping trip at west point. The weather dropped to 40 degrees (Fahrenheit). I was so cold and I'll prepared for the weather that I was forced to sleep in a emergency blanket to keep warm. The coldest night I wont explain because the only reason I got cold that night was because of having to share my warmth with other campers (scouts) during wilderness survival do to them being i'll prepared and making shelter like this :whistle: (sadly its not a joke)

sleep.jpg

Of course their were no tents to go back into since we made shelter of what we could find. (it didnt help that I built a 4 1/2 ft tall 8 ft long lean to out of trees :angel

EDIT: Don't take my caps as me being mad I really like debating.

Edited by Flasche

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.weather.com/news/weather-forecast/winter-storm-titan-ice-storm-snowstorm-west-midwest-northeast-20140226

Winter Storm Titan: Ice Storm Possible for Ohio Valley; Snowstorm for West, Midwest, Northeast
Nick Wiltgen and Jonathan Erdman Published: Feb 28, 2014, 3:55 PM EST weather.com

0229titan_650x366.jpg

TITAN: Ice, Snow Threatens Millions

• Major storm begins in California on Friday with heavy rain and mountain snow
  • Modest Midwest snow Saturday turns into a major winter storm for Midwest Sunday, Northeast later Sunday into Monday
  • Ice storm possible for Ohio Valley, mid-Mississippi Valley, Ozarks
  • Heavy snowfall expected from Central Plains to Northeast

After a brief reprieve from blockbuster winter storms in the Midwest and East – and a much-too-lengthy reprieve in California – Winter Storm Titan is will lay down a swath of heavy snow from California to New England, and also a swath of sleet and freezing rain from the Plains to the Mid-Atlantic States.
Here's what we know at this point.

map_specnews28_ltst_4namus_enus_320x180.

Saturday Forecast
map_specnews28_ltst_4namus_enus_320x180.

map_specnews29_ltst_4namus_enus_320x180.

Sunday Forecast
map_specnews29_ltst_4namus_enus_320x180.

map_specnews30_ltst_4namus_enus_320x180.

Monday Forecast
map_specnews30_ltst_4namus_enus_320x180.

Timing

• Saturday: The main event east of the Rockies will begin to unfold as snow spreads east across portions of the Plains and Upper Midwest. For the Northern Rockies, this will just be a continuation of snow from the previous, weaker disturbance. Widespread snow is likely across much of southern Montana and Wyoming, while farther south the snow will be more tied to higher elevations. (See inset map for details.)

• Sunday: The more significant part of Winter Storm Titan begins with snow, sleet and freezing rain becoming heavier. A stripe of significant ice accumulation is likely Sunday and Sunday night from the Ozarks through much of the Ohio Valley with snow farther north from the central Plains into the mid-Mississippi Valley and Ohio Valley. These threats spread into the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast Sunday night.

• Monday: Snow/sleet tapers off in the Ohio Valley and Appalachians, but continues along the I-95 Northeast corridor, before tapering off in the afternoon and evening. Ice/sleet areas early in the day in the Mid-Atlantic states should changeover to snow by Monday morning.

map_specnews24_ltst_4namus_enus_320x180.

Ice Storm Threat
map_specnews24_ltst_4namus_enus_320x180.

Ice Threat

• Threat area: Parts of the Ohio Valley, mid-Mississippi Valley and Ozarks Sunday. Parts of the Appalachians, lower elevations of Va., Md., Del., possibly southern New Jersey late Sunday into Monday.

• How much ice: Threat of significant, damaging ice accumulation across parts of the Ohio Valley, mid-Mississippi Valley, perhaps the Shenandoah Valley. Power outages and tree damage may be widespread. Lighter ice accumulation east of the Shenandoah Valley in Va., Md., Del., southern N.J.

• Potential cities: Memphis | Louisville | Lexington | Cincinnati | Washington, D.C.

• Accumulating sleet: One-half inch or more of sleet may pile up from the Plains of Kan. and Okla. into northern Ark., central and southern Mo., southern Ill., southern Ind., southern Ohio, W.V., Va., Md., D.C., Del. and southern N.J. In many of these areas, sleet may be followed by snow. Expect roads to become treacherous.

• Wind threat: North to northeast winds on the order of 10-20 mph, with higher gusts will develop in the ice threat area as soon as Saturday evening, continuing through Sunday and most of Monday. This will cause additional stress on ice-weighted trees and powerlines and could exacerbate the potential damage from this storm.

It should be noted Saturday night into Sunday, sleet and freezing rain may be heavy, at times, accompanied by frequent lightning. Given this, road conditions may deteriorate in as fast as an hour or so.
The ultimate location of any ice storm will depend on exactly how far south the sub-freezing air near the ground reaches, which is still subject to some uncertainty as we're still a couple days out from the event. Areas that receive more sleet and less freezing rain will be subject to fewer power outages and tree damage.
If you live in any of these areas, you should prepare for the possibility of a significant ice storm. We have some tips on things you may want to do now while the storm is still several days away.

map_specnews22_ltst_4namus_enus_320x180.

Midwest Snow Outlook
map_specnews22_ltst_4namus_enus_320x180.

map_specnews23_ltst_4namus_enus_320x180.

Northeast Snow Outlook
map_specnews23_ltst_4namus_enus_320x180.

Snow Threat

• West: Snowfall totals well in excess of a foot are expected for the Sierra Nevada, the mountains of Colo., Wyo., Idaho, Mont., as well as more populated lower elevations of western and southern Mont., northern and central Wyo., and far western S.D. (FORECAST: Missoula | Billings | Casper)

• Midwest: Snow in the Plains and Upper Midwest on Saturday should be relatively modest, with generally six inches or less accumulation probable from Neb. and southern S.D. into southern Minn., Ia., Wisc., and Michigan. Heavier snow Sunday into early Monday will lay down at least six inches accumulation from the Plains of Kansas into Ohio. In the heart of that snow swath, some accumulations of one foot or higher are possible.

• Midwest travel impact: Road conditions will deteriorate in the Upper Midwest Saturday, then will deteriorate quickly Sunday into Monday in the heavy snow zone mentioned above. Expect significant blowing and drifting snow, particularly on east-west routes, even after the snow ends on Monday. Delays/cancelations at some major airport hubs are possible.

• Midwest city impacts: Kansas City | St. Louis | Indianapolis | Columbus

• Northeast: An initial round of light snow moves into the interior Northeast Sunday morning through the afternoon. Heavier snow builds into the Northeast overnight Sunday night, including the NYC metro, continuing into Monday morning, before tapering off Monday afternoon. Six inches of snow is possible from southern New York state and southern New England to near the Mason-Dixon line. Within this swath, there will likely be some accumulations over one foot through Monday afternoon.

• Northeast travel impact: Road conditions will deteriorate quickly overnight Sunday night, with treacherous travel likely on Monday from southern New England at least to the Mason-Dixon line, if not farther south. Major impact on Northeast airport hubs with numerous cancelations/delays are likely Monday.

• Northeast city impacts: Pittsburgh | Philly | NYC | Hartford | Boston

Again, depending on Winter Storm Titan's track and the southerly extent of the cold air, the east-west snow/ice line could range anywhere from Pennsylvania and New Jersey to somewhere across Virginia.
Aside from the snow itself, blustery north to northeast winds and bitterly cold temperatures will mean blowing and drifting snow, poor visibility, and dangerous wind chills will add to the potential dangers for drivers in the snow zone.
Stay with The Weather Channel and weather.com for further updates on Winter Storm Titan.
MORE ON WEATHER.COM: Winter Storm Triton Photos (Last Year's "T" Storm)

1 / 24

Winona, Minn.
20130311-triton-winona-mn-iw_650x366.jpg
iWitness Weather

Seven inches of wet snow from Winter Storm Triton caused this tree branch to snap in Winona, Minn., on March 11, 2013. (iWitness Weather/Tom Grier)