Accidental Vista user

Flasche

Long story short I tried dual booting windows vista and windows 7(two different harddrives), but acidetnly installed vista on my windows 7 harddrive. (I picked out the wrong harddrive from my computer used to dual boot 7 and 8) Going back to windows 7 is not what I want (I really like vista) and since I was going to get rid of 8 I wont bother dual booting it with vista. Curious though what major signifigance is their between vista and 7 that I should worry about. (If their is anything to worry about) I dont have any major reason to go back since all of my files from windows 7 were saved, and all my games work with vista and up.

1 reason I can think of, if you are a SSD user Win7 or 8 would be best (they are optimized if ssd is detected)

Hmm interesting any other reasons that I should know before I make vista perniment.

I have decided to stay with vista but their is an issue. I can't connect to the internet. Device manager gives me an error sign next to the Ethernet adapter, and the network adapter despite installing them. This is my computers specs when I a benchmark when Win 7 was installed. ( The windows vista install is also 64bit but not home premium )

EDIT: I need the Network controller (forgot to say but this is an HP computer, just threw that in their in case you need it)

EDIT: A google search found my Computer http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c02174835 which is an HP Pavilion p6510y deskptop found all drivers their if I need help still I post here again ( make another edit if none post )

EDIT: having trouble finding drivers still, also too tired to continue on (1 am). Whom ever reads this can you please find the drivers.

Processor: AMD Athlon II X4 630 @ 2.8 GHz

Memory: 12GB System RAM

Graphics card: ATI Radeon HD 4200

Nova bench mark test results

NovaBench Score: 605

12/21/2013 9:21:12 PMMicrosoft Windows 7 Home PremiumAMD Athlon II X4 630 @ 2800 MHzGraphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 420012032 MB System RAM (Score: 175)- RAM Speed: 3322 MB/sCPU Tests (Score: 365)- Floating Point Operations/Second: 102420408- Integer Operations/Second: 305890896- MD5 Hashes Generated/Second: 749657Graphics Tests (Score: 21)- 3D Frames Per Second: 76Hardware Tests (Score: 44)- Primary Partition Capacity: 687 GB- Drive Write Speed: 95 MB/s

Everest home Edition computer summary

Field ValueComputer Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium Home EditionOS Service Pack -DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)Computer Name MIKESROOM (Mikes Room)User Name OFFICE 2Motherboard CPU Type 2x , 2800 MHzMotherboard Name UnknownMotherboard Chipset UnknownSystem Memory 12032 MBBIOS Type UnknownDisplay Video Adapter ATI Radeon HD 4200Video Adapter ATI Radeon HD 4200Monitor Generic PnP Monitor [NoDB] (597GG18T0FNT)Multimedia Audio Adapter High Definition Audio Controller [NoDB]Storage IDE Controller AMD SATA ControllerDisk Drive Generic- SM/xD-Picture USB DeviceDisk Drive Generic- Compact Flash USB DeviceDisk Drive Generic- MS/MS-Pro USB DeviceDisk Drive Generic- SD/MMC USB DeviceDisk Drive Hitachi HDS721075CLA332 SATA Disk DeviceOptical Drive hp DVD-RAM GH60L SATA CdRom DeviceSMART Hard Disks Status UnknownPartitions C: (NTFS) 703027 MB (600293 MB free)D: (NTFS) 12273 MB (1461 MB free)Total Size 698.5 GB (587.7 GB free)Input Keyboard HID Keyboard DeviceMouse HID-compliant mouseNetwork Network Adapter 802.11n Wireless LAN Card (192.168.1.116)Network Adapter Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport AdapterNetwork Adapter Realtek PCIe FE Family ControllerNetwork Adapter VMware Virtual Ethernet Adapter for VMnet1 (192.168.174.1)Network Adapter VMware Virtual Ethernet Adapter for VMnet8 (192.168.120.1)

Edited by Flasche

To answer your original question, here's what at least I know you lose the ability to do by not going to Windows 7 (not deal breakers at all):

No pinned taskbar. The tasks along the bottom operate akin to XP.

No ability to upgrade beyond Internet Explorer 9 (v10 and 11 run on 7)

Changes to Control Panel (no true classic mode, which is why I like Vista a little better)

Faster Disk I/O (Even with Vista on SP2, I admit that Windows 7 seems faster for file copy/move operations, though my experiences are anecdotal)

Wordpad with ribbon-mode interface

Changes to Superfetch to make it not as aggressive on RAM usage

Changes to Explorer interface and Search

(any others?...)

Edited by JodyThornton

To answer your original question, here's what at least I know you lose the ability to do by not going to Windows 7 (not deal breakers at all):

Changes to Control Panel (no true classic mode, which is why I like Vista a little better)

Faster Disk I/O (Even with Vista on SP2, I admit that Windows 7 seems faster for file copy/move operations, though my experiences are anecdotal)

(any others?...)

Classic taskbar, control panel and menus are way better than those stupid "modern" UI that takes half of the screen on a 15.6 inch laptop!!! Vista can be thaught to use the TRIM command on an SSD using third party software.

I see you have 12 gb of ram which is really great when using a newer version on windows such as vista, 7 or 8; in my opinion anything less than 2 gb is going to drive the HDD and you mad!

The only real thing against Vista is the limitation to IE9!

Your NIC should problaby be a realtek one! Go to their website and download the latest driver using another PC and you should be all good to go!

Edited by ND22

(any others?...)

Classic taskbar, control panel and menus are way better than those stupid "modern" UI that takes half of the screen on a 15.6 inch laptop!!! Vista can be thaught to use the TRIM command on an SSD using third party software.

I see you have 12 gb of ram which is really great when using a newer version on windows such as vista, 7 or 8; in my opinion anything less than 2 gb is going to drive the HDD and you mad!

The only real thing against Vista is the limitation to IE9!

Your NIC should problaby be a realtek one! Go to their website and download the latest driver using another PC and you should be all good to go!

I found the network controller, but HP only gives windows 7 drivers for it.

EDIT: also found the one for xp o,0 still no vista though.

Edited by Flasche

Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
Could you provide the VID/PID? This is *essential* in finding the correct driver. *Always* provide this detail for Driver Searches. ;)

"Generically" speaking Realtek has them here (according to the above quote) -

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=7&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
Could you provide the VID/PID? This is *essential* in finding the correct driver. *Always* provide this detail for Driver Searches. ;)

"Generically" speaking Realtek has them here (according to the above quote) -

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=7&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

Thats the same link the hp guy gave me. It helped with Ethernet but not wireless http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware/Hp-Pavilion-p6510y-desktop-network-controler-for-Windows/m-p/3530411/highlight

/false#M76290.

EDIT: This page is about my computer and drivers, but for windows 7 This is prob the particualar driver I'm looking for I think: Original Realtek Networking Controller Driver or Ralink 802.11 b/g/n WiFi Adapter

Thank you. The download solved one of my problems (Ethernet driver), though oddly device management says that Network controller is not installed (code 28)

Edited by Flasche

I found the Network controller! its the Ralink 802.11 b/g/n WiFi Adapter. Unfortunately the dang thing is giving me trouble. I'm currently trying to find the oldest version of it.

EDIT: after uninstalling Ralink wireless Lan adater windows vista found the network controller and is currently trying to install it. If it fails I'll make another edit.

Edited by Flasche

??? Still, there are SEVERAL "models" associated with that (google it). Again, provide the VID/PID for assistance. According to your last post above, you have some kind of "conflict". What I provided was based upon your initial needs (never knew BOTH were having a problem).

Edited by submix8c

??? Still, there are SEVERAL "models" associated with that (google it). Again, provide the VID/PID for assistance. According to your last post above, you have some kind of "conflict". What I provided was based upon your initial needs (never knew BOTH were having a problem).

Why do you need the PID/VID its not a usb adapter. Unlease I'm missing something?